Direct TV / cancellation fee on non existing contract

Phone:

Today I cancelled my direct TV service because frankly, the service is interrupted everytime it rains and Direct TV advertisements are so much louder than the rest of the programming that we must have the remove close by to mute the ads.
So when I called to cancell, they advised me that I have to pay untill 210 because when I activated their service their terms of service say that it is a two year contract.

I have asked for a copy of a signed agreement where I agreed to a two year contract and they of course have none, because I would not have signed one. The go back to saying that when I activated I automatically agreed to a two year contract.
Of cousrse what will happen next is that Direct TV will send me a bill, I will refuse to pay it on the basis that I did not agreed to a contract, next they will give the "Froudualent Bill" to a collection company who will file a collection notice on my credit report in order to damage my credit and force me to pay. I will send the entire process to my attorneys and they will contact the collection company.
I have instructed my attorneys to file legal proceedings if necessary.

The important thing here is that Direct TV is in financial trouble and is going trying to force costumers to stay with them even if the have to beat them up fiancially. The days of the thug with a baseball bat are gone, now comapnies use froudulant documents lawyers and collectors to do their wor.

I will keep you posted on my fight with Direct TV.

PS: If there are many other people out there that have had this kind of issues with Direct TV, there may be grounds for a Class Acction Case against them.

Comments

• Dl
      1st of Apr, 2009

I am definately in pursuing a class action lawsuit against Direct TV, DEFINATELY. I am being charged an early termination fee of $378. and only had the service for 2 days. THIS IS A SCAM ORGINAZITION.

• Pa
      20th of Apr, 2009

I would love to hear what happens with this. We owned our receiver outright and had for many years. One night mysteriously we could not get any PPV channels. After many attempts at "resetting" the receiver the customer service girl said they would have to send us a new set. I was OK thats fine. No mention of "leased" equipment and nothing on any boxes or the device.

I went to cancel today and was told I had an 18 month contract. I too asked to see a singed contract and go the same "you have an activated set so you agree" They want $320 out of me.

Where do we start the lawsuit?

• Dl
      9th of Nov, 2009

I signed on with DTV and the dish was installed on 10/21/09 and today is 11/09 and during that time I have been able to watch only a few hours of Television. To date my TV does not work. Channels change on their own (when the TV displays) most of the time it is black with no picture. A tech came out to my house, pressed a button or 2 and got a local channel and told me (hang on to your hat) the power strip in my entertainment center was acting like a firewall! Talk about a line AND what makes it worse is there was nothing plugged into the power strip in my ECenter and he expected me to believe that line of garbage! I told him the tech that hooked it up plugged the strip in and his response was "We only found out about this on Wednesday 11/04!! He left and it wasn't 5 minutes later I was without a picture so I call DTV and they said he would be contacting me; 3 hours later no call so I called back. At that time they told me he couldn't make it and the supervisor would be contacting me. I never heard from the supervisor! I contacted customer retention who said they were going to send a "real technician" out to my house on 11/14 to solve the problem which is yet another line of garbage. So, at this point I will be without service from 10/21 thru 11/14 and getting closer to that 30 day window. I was told by the salesman and technician that hooked me up I had 30 days to cancel the contract but when I started having problems I was told by 2 reps I had 24 hours and the case manager said it was 72 hours! Right, like anyone can evaluate reliability in 72 hours. I told him I wanted to cancel my contract because DTV has not upheld their end of the contract. I have not had reliable service since inception and he told me it would cost me $482! Lawsuit...heck yes! I am more than ready! I would advise anyone to stay away from ALL services that have contracts! Go with cable (I would have if I could) or get a digital antenna and subscribe to NETFLIX OR start playing cards, board games etc. and get to know your family again. I have found TV is like smoking...I have been without it so long now I am getting used to it!

• Qu
      8th of Feb, 2010

They told me I had 30 days to cancell and when I tried to cancel they said you only had 24 hours. Now they want to charge me over $400 for a cancellation fee and wont let me see the "contract" I sighned.

• Ad
      22nd of Feb, 2010

I'm having the same problem with Direct TV. They are charging me for early cancellation when I clearly told them that I have the original flyer that advertises for 12 months and the receiver is leased for 12 months. Both the forms front and back does not specify 18 month contractual agreement. The installer never gave me a form to sign when he installed the dish. As a matter of fact he left a mess of cables all over the floor and I had to clean it up and patch the hole in the wall that he created. Please contact me if there is a class action lawsuit. I'm in
    Signed
    Ladyamaride@yahoo.com

• Na
      14th of May, 2010

I am being screwed over by DirecTV for $ 260 -- early term fee. I had to move to a different housing subdivision that does not allow dish installs. No luck speaking to the reps (incompetent liars) or writing to billing disputes department. They all have the same scripted responses and do not care about taking care of their customers. A class action suit will teach them the right lesson.

Ryan Ganpath

29th of Jun, 2010

I too have been a victim of Direct TV and an 18-month contract. I put up with it for 17 months. Last straw is when I suddenly could not see the local area stations during the day -only before 7:00 am, as if done purposely- and was told that either I paid $155 for them to come and fix the disc and wiring, or I sign up for about $6 month service from then on. I refused and called to cancel. Then, and only then, they would give me some free stations, they would come and put a new dish and wiring (the existing one is only 17 months old...). I told them too little too late. Done and over with them. Then, they send me the final bill with a $20 early cancelation fee. I told them I would, and will NOT, pay for the late fee.

• Ov
      28th of May, 2013

DirectTV placed a charge on my credit card for $400 for early cancellation fee of a 2-year contract. I never signed a 2year contract with them. I've asked them to provide me with an agreement I signed agreeing to a 2 yr contract. O f course, they are unable to do so because I never signed a contract with them. I"ve asked my bank to dispute the charges on my credit card as I did not authorize this. T he bank has agreed to do this and not pay DirectTV. However, they may be sending the bill to a collection agency next. What recourse do consumers have? Please let me know.