Direct Energy / don't trust the service technician!
Our furnace stopped working during the night, and it was getting close to 11 degrees Celsius in our house - it was cold and it was getting colder; it was below freezing outside (we are North of Toronto)
So we called Direct Energy who charged us C$135 for placing a service call; we had no problems with that.
The Direct Energy service technician looked at the furnace, and said we need a new gas valve and something else, but recommended a new furnace, because ours was in rough shape. The cost of the parts would of been c$500 and a new furnace c$2700 and up.
3 weeks before Christmas, it was cold and we have two young kids.
My wife and I were contemplating what to do, when a friend called, and we explained our dilemma; she happened to know someone who worked on furnaces - we contacted him for a second opinion, he came over, and replaced the Thermo-couple within 5 minutes; total cost C$13.
He said it was very obvious what was wrong, and we appeared to have been scammed.
Why would Direct Energy - a huge company - to that to us????? Was the Direct Energy service technician that incompetent?
Be warned - we were desperate, our two little boys were very cold, and we were very concerned about our house, we were about to buy a new furnace. By the way, our furnace and although 20 years old is still in reasonable working order and doesn’t need replacing.
More Direct Energy Complaints & Reviews
- Direct Energy - negative option contract renewal! 
- Direct Energy - fraud and cheating! 
- Direct Energy - billing 
- Direct Energy - things we should know as customers before signing with direct energy for natural gas 
- Mr Tankless / Ontario Direct Energy - owner 
- Direct Energy Services - billing and processing
- Direct Energy - scam
- Direct Energy - the aeroplan points
- Direct Energy - billing gas and electricity
- Direct Energy - natural gas and electricity