Direct Energy / don't trust the service technician!

1 Canada Review updated:

Our furnace stopped working during the night, and it was getting close to 11 degrees Celsius in our house - it was cold and it was getting colder; it was below freezing outside (we are North of Toronto)

So we called Direct Energy who charged us C$135 for placing a service call; we had no problems with that.

The Direct Energy service technician looked at the furnace, and said we need a new gas valve and something else, but recommended a new furnace, because ours was in rough shape. The cost of the parts would of been c$500 and a new furnace c$2700 and up.

3 weeks before Christmas, it was cold and we have two young kids.

My wife and I were contemplating what to do, when a friend called, and we explained our dilemma; she happened to know someone who worked on furnaces - we contacted him for a second opinion, he came over, and replaced the Thermo-couple within 5 minutes; total cost C$13.

He said it was very obvious what was wrong, and we appeared to have been scammed.

Why would Direct Energy - a huge company - to that to us????? Was the Direct Energy service technician that incompetent?

Be warned - we were desperate, our two little boys were very cold, and we were very concerned about our house, we were about to buy a new furnace. By the way, our furnace and although 20 years old is still in reasonable working order and doesn’t need replacing.

Comments

7th of Nov, 2007

Did the friend who replaced your thermocouple check the gas valve to make sure the regulator was delivering the proper amount of fuel to the furnace? Also check the drop out time on the pilot solenoid of the gas valve? These are important safety checks a qualified and trained technician would preform on your furnace if he was diagnosing a gas valve problem. The gas valve may work, but more importantly, is it working safely and properly. If a furnace component isn't functioning properly it can easily become a major safety hazard and you wouldn't even know it. You may have got some good advice from the direct energy service technician, but because of your ignorance about fuel burning appliances you may be jumping to conclusions.

3rd of Apr, 2008

Direct Energy called my place yesterday. I answered the phone and was polite and let them say their 2 cents even though I hate telemarketers. When I asked for details the ### had to get a supervisor who then tried to haggle my account # for my Hydro account. I said NO WAY...but she insisted on trying to which I had to hang up the phone. They're so ignorant. LMAO

• 12
      2nd of Sep, 2010

Don't trust the Service Technician!
    Our wall oven stopped working in May 2010. So we called Direct Energy who charged us C$90 for placing a service call; we had no problems with that.
    The Direct Energy service technician looked at the oven and said we needed a new timer but he told us that we would not be able to get it anywhere. So he told us to buy a new oven.
    We took his word and bought a new oven from Sears.
    Then we hired an electrician to install the new oven and the electrician found out that there was nothing wrong with the old oven, but the fuss for the oven was broken.
    So he replaced the fuss and we are still using the old oven.
    When we returned the new oven back to Sears, Sears charged us 20% of new oven for restocking fee which cost us $160.
    When we sent a request to Direct Energy for reimbursing the restocking fee of $160, Direct Energy refused to do so.

If the Direct Energy service technician did not misdiagnose the problem in the first place and did not tell us to buy a new oven, then we would not have bought the new oven and it would have saved us all this trouble.

Was the Direct Energy service technician that incompetent that he could not figure out that it was a fuss problem?

We are very disappointed with the service provided by Direct Energy
    and Direct Energy.