Digital River Trend Micro / Unauthorized charges

1 Savannah, GA, United States Review updated:

Auto renewal, according to their customer service rep, is supposed to occur 1 week prior to expiration of internet protection service subscription. When I noticed the price of the renewal ($62.95), I decided to check the Trend Micro website myself. Digital River Inc. is the authorized reseller of Trend Micro software. I went directly to the Trend Micro website (www.trendmicro.com), and the same software was available to purchase for $39.95. I cancelled the policy they renewed for me at the higher price and purchased the lower priced package, and discovered my subscription did not expire until 12/22, and I could not do anything except destroy the current unexpired software in order to download the renewal. I would have lost a month of my subscription!

What a scam to think that so many people would allow this autorenewal at the higher price without checking, and unknowingly cut off a month of their current subscription upon downloading the software. The cost becomes $23 more than advertised on their website, plus the month loss equals $5.25, so your paying $28.25 more than you should unknowingly by their business practices.

I have used this company's software for years, and no longer will I give them my business.

Upon calling customer service, they reversed the charges, but would not comment on their practices other than to say they normally auto-renew one week prior to expiration.

Comments

• Th
      16th of Jul, 2011

I had a similar issue. The "autorenew" does not ever ask for any confirmation and I did NOT intend to renew due to major problems with their upgrades LOCKING up and causing complete uninstall, reinistall of product. I was not happy with the product. So after much being on hold and being cut off of their "customer service" number (one of those where you pick an option and it tells you where to go on the website, that you have already been, and then hangs up, NICE). I finally got a person who did not want to answer any questions about their autorenewal and then they refunded a partial refund - they kept almost 10%, what a restocking fee?! I will tell as many people as possible... don't use this company.