DHL Canada / delivery

1 Markham, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

DHL, just a terrible service provider. I paid for express mail internationally and turns out they don't live up to their 4 days they suggest as the time of arrival of a package. The first problem was I called them in the morning at 9:30am to notify them that I had a buzzer code. The idiot lady didn't bother to write down or ask my buzzer number because she said something about how the driver won't get a hold of the number until later anyways. So I figured if the driver is any smarter, he'll be able to come up by talking to the concierge or at least obtaining our buzzer from them. Turns out he left and then my package was at the DHL facility again. So I call around 5:30pm to ask where my package is, (the lady in the morning had said 9am-6pm), no one arrived. Obviously. So, I called in and found out the driver didn't bother to come up, and as for the customer service rep on the phone she didn't even bother to write down my BUZZER that I had provided prior (9:30am). So, now day 2 with DHL. The lady I was talking to at 5:30pm said that the package would arrive the next day, today is the next day. Almost half way through the day, so I called in. This time I was pissed, I took time off school to be here yet they don't give a ### whose time they are wasting. So, the lady says, there will be no package today because it takes up to 48hrs to fix the addresse error. Really eh? ... so, now I'm just completely pissed off!!! I am writing on complaints board, BBB, ebay forums, amazon forums.

Drivers, Customer Reps, and all of the DHL team don't give a ### about your time or your package. They just want the money, which by the way I paid excessive shipping costs to get it express from an international destination.

Stick with Canada Post !!!

Comments

• Mi
      23rd of Apr, 2008
    DHL - Delivery
    191 Cherokee Rd
    Joppa
    Alabama
    Phone: 256-552-1158

I first thought the bad delivery of my Dell computer was maybe a one time incident but my next experience nailed it down that Dells pick for a delivery service was a bad business move. I personally would want delivery of the product I was selling to be top priority but not so with Dell. I quickly found that neither Dell nor DHL had very much concern for this part of the process. After missing my first delivery of a lap top computer because DHL was to be deliver on a certain day and I had someone there all day to wait on it but no one ever knocked on the door the person I had waiting said they looked up and the van was driving off and when they went to the door to see if they left anything there was a note no one was home. That night I had a call they were coming back the
    Next day at a certain time but no one showed up and when I inquired they said they did not run in my area on that day. I am in day three and the predicted delivery and it is partly cloudy very frustrated with a 20% chance of delivery.

Very frustrated,
    Mike Yeager

22nd of Jul, 2008

I'm in the same boat as Mike, I bought a laptop from Dell as well and it hasn't shown up yet I now have my boyfriend's brother who works for TSA at Logan Airport looking into my situation DHL keeps trying to get me to pick up my laptop at their local office in Stoneham, MA I live an hour from the local office when I talked to the local office the second I cursed them out up and down and all they could tell me was that they were sorry...they are full of ###! If I did my job like they do I'd be fired by now!

• Va
      21st of Oct, 2008
    DHL - Should be your last choice
    dhl.com

I ordered a product that was shipped by DHL. A delivery notice was left on my door with a contact phone number. I called on two separate occasions and was promised that it would be delivered the "next business day." That was today. When it didn't arrive by 5:00 EST, I called and was told that "it will not be delivered today." I find this to be totally irresponsible and DHL failed to provide the customer service they advertise. If you need something delivered reliably and on time, it is my opinion that DHL should be the last service choice!

• Be
      15th of Oct, 2009
    DHL - Terrible at Delivery

Waited patiently for a parcel for three weeks, unaware it was being delieverd by DHL as the company I bought from have always used post office delivery in the past (I think perhaps they use DHL for slightly larger items). Got in touch with the company who gave me DHL's number and a reference number.

I rang them and they said they'd tried to deliver three times on three consecutive days and it had been marked down that I was on holiday and that they put a card through. I have NOT been on holiday and I did NOT receive a card.

They were apologetic and rearranged the delivery - told me which day it was going to be on - so I waited in. At 5pm I rang up to inquire where it was. I was told it was still "out for delivery". At 6pm I rang up again and was told they tried to deliver at 5pm but they were "unable to gain access to the property." What this means I have absolutley no idea!

They are completely useless.

• Ca
      25th of Jun, 2010

Agree. 1000000% Worst courier service compared to FedEx, Canada Post, Purolator ... WORST of them is DHL ... They have my package sitting here in Calgary for a week and no one gives a damn about what is going on ...

• Ti
      12th of Jul, 2010
    DHLexpress - Delay
    316 Menlo Dr
    Mesquite
    Texas
    Phone: 2148158550

send package to Mx. pay $312.07 to be delivered in 2 days. still till this day it has not be delivered yet. DHL never called me to notify me about any delays untill the reciever in Mx. contact me. I had to personally call Mexico DHL to get information because neather DHL-USA or DHL-MX. knew exactly what was goin on. Now they say I have to pay 200 pesos more for interest fees in Mexico for my package to be deliver. I dont think is fair to pay more they did not mentioned it when I send the package out. JUST VERY BAD SERVICE

• Ol
      18th of Jan, 2011
    DHL - Delay
    Norway

A package of fresh semen for a dog was sent from Netherland with DHLexpress 24 hr service. The package was picked up by DHL and and sent to the nearest DHL office 10 miles away where it stayed for 24 hrs. No information from DHL and the package arrived far too late to be used. No excuse from DHL.
    This is the second time DHL has screwed up for me tha latest month.
    This company reminds me of the russian mail, you cannot trust them at all!!

• Su
      11th of Mar, 2011

Yes, DHL has consistently all the 3 times failed when I used their services. The first time they failed to pick up the package, the seocnd time they failed to deliver the package and had made the first attempt to deliver after 3 weeks. The third time they have not even send out for delivery after recieving the package at the destination for more than two weeks now. So if you are in Canada never ever even think of using DHL services as they donot have the infrastructure to deliver on their courier services. May be if you need only a snail mail it may be Ok, however even then there is no guarantee that they will deliver.

• Ne
      15th of Mar, 2011
    DHL - I went to Mexico City to pick up a package but only heard continuous promises
    DHL

On Monday, January 9th, I was told I would receive my package on Tuesday. Tuesday I waited all day and at 5 pm was told I would receive it on Wednesday. On Wednesday, I waited all day and at 5 pm the deliverer called to tell me he couldn't find the address.

I gave him the correct address but he told me he wouldn't deliver it until Tuesday. I told him I was leaving Mexico City Friday at noon and asked him if I could pick up the package myself. He said 'yes' and told me where to pick it up. I told him I was on my way.

At the DHL office I was told they didn't have it and to return after 7 pm. At 7 pm I was told they didn't have it and I should call Customer Service.

Customer Service told me to call in the morning at 9 am. Tuesday at 9am I was told the package was placed in the imports area and couldn't be picked up. It is now 10:55 am and I'm waiting for a call so I can go pick up the package even though I was told it was unlikely that I would have it by noon.

I've called DHL at least 20 times. I've used up about 30 dollars on cell phone cards. I've wasted 2 days waiting for the package instead of shopping for my business. I made repeated trips to DHL with no success. Continuous frustration.

• Dh
      11th of Jun, 2011

It goes without saying that if you are relying on DHL, you are better off to throw your money into the toilet and flush, accept the fact that you will NOT receive your shipment as they PROMISE, and call a real courier company like Fed Ex or UPS. They lure you in with a Saturday delivery service, which doesn't matter, as you won;t get your package anyway. I had a pickup arranged from a client's office in Toronto on Friday morning, to be picked up at 2 PM Eastern time, no later than 430 PM and delivered overnight for arrival in Calgary at 12 noon. I pre-paid DHL much higher costs than UPS to ensure Saturday delivery ($45.33). My Client in Toronto called me at 430 Toronto time to advise that the package had no been picked up. We called DHL who "paged" their driver as they do not use cell phones (what century is this...pagers...really?) and assured me that they had been "dispatched" and would be there to pick up the package. The Client closes at 430PM, but waited around on a Friday until 5PM...surprise! DHL didn't show up! Despite calling them and being assured that they were on their way and picking it up. Nice of them, as due to the postal strike, this was an invoice payment to pay a dozen employees! Great job DHL! NEVER, EVER, EVER use DHL! They are a joke! And...they don't care that they screw people over...Go UPS!

• Ee
      14th of Jun, 2011

DHL leave a notice of delivery for us for not able to responde to their buzz. Its indicated their that we must call them to schedule another attemp for them to deliver i call up their toll-free number (1-800-225-5345), after morethan 1hour of waiting, they told me to pick it up at their office because they cant deliver it because they cant contact us before delivery because their DELIVERY MEN DONT HAVE CELLPHONE!!!. I asked for the phone number of their office, they said they DON'T HAVE PHONE! their office where i can pick up my package is NOT ACCESSIBLE BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT! SHAME ON THIS COMPANY!

• Ra
      22nd of Jun, 2011

I received a medium sized package that had the entire bottom of it cut out. they re-taped it with their special tape. When I complained they gave me the run-around. They kept passing me to a different person who said they would handle it. then that person said that they could not handle my claim and passed me to a different person. When I gave them my tracking and reference number in an official e-mail, I get the snide e-mail in return from them that said it was invalid numbers and they could not even find me in their system(even though that same day I just talked to them and they looked up my number on their system). They stole over $800 from me. Do Not use DHL. DHL (Dishonest, Hostile Losers) The Leader in Unreliable Delivery!

• Fr
      7th of Jul, 2011

Terrible service. They couldn't find the office of a major international arts festival (one that receives multiple packages a day), and now they want to wait 24 to 48 hours before attempting delivery. They also want to charge me an extra fee for the "reprocessing." I will never use DHL again.

• Pa
      4th of Oct, 2011

Problems with DHL in Canada

1. Email notifications are confusing: Notification for shipment event group “Out for delivery”. Event Category: Shipment held – Available upon receipt of payment.
    2. Website contact form allows for 100 char entry, oppose to 1000 characters as stated on the screen. This is less than a twitter, and provides no option for leaving a message other then short statement. You know what comes to mind…
    3. 1-800 customer service has no way to contact local facility other then email.
    4. Emails from customer service are ignored by local facility for days.
    5. Couriers at a local facility apply status scans incorrectly. “Delivery attempted; recipient not home” showed up twice on trace history, when in fact not a single delivery attempt was made (no door tag left).
    6. The item above can be attributed to fraud. Transferring fault to the customer instead of sort/delivery mistakes is a fraud. It allows DHL to avoid money-back payments to shipper when commitment times are not met.
    7. Local facility is open for customers only two hours per day. It has no phone number where anyone, including their head office in Montreal, could contact them.
    8. Both Customer Service (Toronto/India) and Corp Office (Montreal) have no control of package movement once it is at the destination sort.
    9. DHL system shows incorrect Ship To address on notifications, by using a city for local sort facility, instead of destination city. Though the postal code is shown correctly, this probably a root cause for misrouting my parcel.
    10. The package sent from Alaska to PEI via DHL took 1 day to reach Hamilton (ON), one day to reach Moncton (NB), one day to reach Charlottetown (PE) and 18 days to cover 15 min driving distance from local sort facility to destination (still not delivered)!
    11. I had to call DHL customer service 7 times, was transferred to Montreal Head Office twice, and after all promises, and traces, they still failed to deliver.
    12. I finally have the package. However, it wasn't delivered by DHL. It wasn't even attempted to be delivered as customer service and trace agents assured me. I had to show up at local DHL warehouse. It was open at the end of day on Friday literally for 15 minutes, not 1 hour. I happened to be lucky to see one of the drivers return to warehouse to drop off the vehicle.
    13. The guy located my package in the box in the corner, with trace fax that Montreal office has sent. It says that the driver needs to attempt LAST delivery. (When none was attempted to begin with).
    14. I asked the driver why would package be stuck in their warehouse for more than two weeks without any attempts to deliver. His response was the key to DHL problem: "It's not my route. I don't know and I don't care. Ask the other driver..." I told him that for me he is a DHL and team he works with. He smiled. I told him I will never use DHL again. Another shocking response:"I don't blame you."
    15. To top it off, next business day I received an email from Natasha Jackson from AZ (USA) customer service center. She said she was sorry that DHL has missed me at home twice... In reality, he never came by.
    16. The driver simply defrauds the company he works for by reporting the work done (via wrong scans), when it hasn't been done at all...

The conclusion: Use FadEx, UPS, Purolator, or simply Postal Service before you ever think of using DHL. DHL has failed miserably to establish well run operations and customer service in North America. I have never experienced such a lousy shipping service. Even when packages were lost by other carriers couple time, the handling of the problem was much supperior.

13th of Oct, 2011

They have the ### customer services I have ever encounter, and they are bloody expensive, you would think we'll get a good service. I cant even bother writing me experience with DHL, I just wish I had a number to call and complain to them in person.

• Pa
      7th of Dec, 2011

Really hope I won't get this for my order. I'm in Toronto. Long story short:
    Nov 28 I ordered a Physics Textbook from a seller in Amazon.ca. (Says deliver from Dec 5 to 20)
    Dec 6 I receive email notice from Amazon.ca and that seller. The seller tells me to check DHL. I went to DHL.ca and found in my Tracking record that they are stuck in Hamilton, Ontario---"bad address", "delivery failure", "contact DHL"., etc I don't know how the heck they got there. Oh yeah it is actually done by Loomis Express, who is probably in Canada.

The global economy is just too complicated for contemporary customers to enjoy services.

By the way, if I were the CEO of DHL, I won't step in Canada with such a messy and hopeless team. I just don't understand why these overseas corporation would ever step in another country and just sit there like an idiot, thinking they have got the business in that country.

• Hu
      1st of Jan, 2012

I worked as a shipper/receiver and inventory control manager. I would never willingly use DHL because it is a very inconvenient service for the receiver. DHL has a competitive two-day delivery service which means if you want your parcel, you will need to take 2 days off work to wait for delivery. Their tracking procedure is not up to current standards but will likely improve if they adopt the Loomis infrastructure and network.

For my personal shipments, I use Canada Pos because even the cheapest rates have tracking. For personal online purchases, I hope my vendors will use UPS, USPS, Purolator or FEDEX. All have excellent tracking. For your information, USPS bar codes are recognised by Canada Post.

Loomis also has excellent tracking. The documentation is precise and possibly the most detailed. They only problem is they sent my parcel to the wrong city. Here's proof:

2011-12-30 21:25 Transit Through Loomis Facility BURNABY
    2011-12-28 16:09 Picked Up by Loomis CALGARY
    2011-12-28 00:00 Shipment Record Received CALGARY

• Hu
      1st of Jan, 2012

I have worked as a shipper/receiver and inventory control manager. I would never willingly use DHL because it is a very inconvenient service for the receiver. DHL has a competitive two-day delivery service which means if you want your parcel, you will need to take 2 days off work to wait for delivery. Their tracking procedure is not up to current standards but will likely improve if they adopt the Loomis infrastructure and network.

2011-12-30 21:25 Transit Through Loomis Facility BURNABY
    2011-12-28 00:00 Shipment Record Received CALGARY

• Pi
      13th of Apr, 2012

I HATE DHL!
    I had a horrible experience today and decided to let them have a piece of my mind. My language wasn't the best of the English vocabulary when I was speaking with the manager but I made sure to file a complaint! This is what I wrote them:

I was awaiting a parcel to be delivered to me, I missed the first attempt because I was not available and didn't even know about it because there was no tag left on my door and due to the fact that I was travelling It slipped my mind to check that it was out for delivery however when I seen that I made sure that I stayed home the entire morning and early afternoon to be there because i knew I was LEAVING THE COUNTRY and would have no other opportunity to receive it with me. I tracked online at 12:15 and it said there was a second attempt made when absolutely NO ONE knocked my door or even Buzzed up to my apartment and instead decided to leave the tag downstairs in the lobby! I immediately called one of your representatives and told them of my situation where she informed me that she would either request for the driver to come back or hold it at the Brampton location. I told her I would rather go pick it up to ENSURE that I get it today because I leave on Sunday for 3 months. She said OK and a rep would call me back to let me know. Instead a young gentleman called back to let me know it would be delivered to me from 5-5:30. I stayed home the entire day until 6 where I called in and another gentleman informed me that the dispatcher had spOKen with the driver who was in Traffic and would be here shortly. It is now 9:00pm and i have just gotten off the phone with one of your team leaders who has informed me that there was a "miscommunication" between your staff because the package was scanned at 5:28 at the Brampton warehouse; and that she will not be able to help me. i am more than furious at the fact that I am going to be paying in total $76.39 for EXPRESS shipping- so I could get it before I leave - that I DO NOT have, and WILL NOT RECEIVE because I am not going to here on Monday. I will have to have it delivered to my house to my sister where she will then have to ship it to me (because it is a very important package) and I will then have to pay ANOTHER fee. I was just simply writing this complaint to let you be aware of my frustration because of the fact that DHL staff failed to communicate and efficiently deliver and ultimately satisfy this customer and I will never be using any services by DHL, and will also never advise and perhaps discourage other I know who are interested!

• Fa
      2nd of Aug, 2012

I have had it with DHL. I wonder why this company hasn't been shutdown yet as they are provide the ### services ever. There business i built upon fraud and misleading the customers. I work from home and hardly leave my apartment building especially when i am expecting packages to be delivered. Today they claimed they had made 2 attempts to deliver my package but no one was home. what a load of BS (no door hanger to be found anywhere)...i have been home all day everyday this week...this is just despicable that they have such lousy service. I will NEVER EVER use DHL again!!!