Cub Cadet / Mower drive belt keeps throwing off

I bought a Cub Cadet LT 1045 in September of 2006. The mower blade drive belt started throwing off in the spring of 2007. So far, I have 40 hours on this mower, it has been in the shop twice, the first time for the blade drive belt, the transmission pedal fell down onto the foot rest, and the parking brake would not engage. I got the mower back after about a month, this in August of 2997, the shop did not put the right belt on and the blade drive belt kept flying off, the vibration in the blade deck was still there, and the4 parking brake still would not engage. They did fix the transmission pedal, and told me that to keep it from happening again, I needed to keep the mower dry. I took the mower back to Home Depot where I bought it, and they sent it to another shop, this one in Lakeland Florida. When I got the mower back, I got touse it two times before the mowing season eneded. The mowing season has started again in earnest, and now the blade drive belt still flies off, and now once that happens the electric PTO will not engage again until the next day. I have a little under an acre to mow. The mower now has 40 hours on it, and I have sent emails to Cub Cadet, and never heard anything back from them. To be honest here, if you want to have a mower that you have to put in the sdhop every time you turn around, and is entirely undependable, then a Cub Cadet is the mower for you, however, if you want something solid and dependable, you really should consider any other brand because a Cub Cadet just is not going to work for you.

John Amstutz,
Plant City, Florida

Comments

• Di
      8th of Jun, 2009

Maybe Cub Cadet management would like to hear about your troubles. Try contacting bill.jaquays@mtdproducts.com regarding these problems.

• Cu
      9th of Jun, 2010

Got my mower at the same time 2008 threw the belt the second year called a couple of shops that said they would not even work on it because of a belt problem or pulley problem the thing that gets me is Home depot doe's not sell parts like belts if I have to keep replacing them maybe it would be a good idea for the place where I bought it would stock the parts for the junk mower I bought there!!! Steve Herm Louisvile Ky

• Je
      22nd of Jun, 2010

i also have the same belt problem. i've put on 3 belts so far this season, at 45 bucks a pop. i get about 10 hours of mowing out of each belt before it begins being thrown off. i've checked alignment and tension on the deck but alignment with the drive pulley could very well be the problem since the deck moves up and down and the drive pulley doesn't move, there must be an alignment problem there. local service person doesn't want to see it. tells me the rpm is too high or i'm mowing too low and it is not a maintenance issue. no more cub cadets for me.

• Eg
      24th of Jul, 2018

@jerry33 Get a 49 inch belt from advance Auto and make a extension for spring to connect spring or longer spring I was having same problem now my tank is ok

• Go
      3rd of Aug, 2010

We have a 2006 Cub Cadet “Tank” Commercial Zero-turn model number m48kw.
    We are in the middle of our 4th. season and have replaced 15 belts (at about $35 a piece) that power the blades. We found out about a supposed fix called a Deck Drive Idler Kit from Service Advisory #CC-559. It cost us $180.00 labor and the mower was less than a year old.
    When the belt jumps off it wraps it’s self around the Idler arm pulley bracket.
    Some times if we catch it before it burns the belt up we can just reinstall it.
    The pulleys are not all in line with each other, it came this way from the factory.
    Any help would be appreciated

• Ny
      3rd of Jun, 2011

I also have a Cub Cadet LT1045 that throws the deck belt quite often and has been doing it since 2007. This is a Manufacturing design defect. The PTO pulley plane to the deck pulley plane is drastically off. Cannot mow on lowest setting ever. There should either be something that assures all pulleys align in the same plane or there should be "keeper" shoulder bolts around each pulley (including the PTO pulley) to prevent the belt from jumping off. I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy another Cub Cadet product. I have a 1989 Bolens GT2000 that runs like a swiss watch and have had a low end MTD 17HP hydro tractor that never threw a belt!

• Ad
      24th of May, 2012

I am having same issues with my ltx 1050. The mower has 22 hours on it and constantly throws belt off! What a piece of crap!! I just got it back from shop where I purchased mower and it threw belt off again. Took it back same day and they said they spoke to a cub cadet tech and they know what is going on. My question is if they know this is a common issue why has there not been a recall? My guess is there is a design flaw and they will keep putting new belts on and just give mowers back to people saying they fixed it. This is why 99% of all new products don't last like older models because manufacturers are more worried about cost savings then making a good quality product. It's a damn same!

• Bo
      8th of Jun, 2012

I have a 2006 Cub 1046 and it has started throwing the belt that drive the mower blades. Everything looks good but it still tosses them off.

• Do
      10th of Apr, 2013

I've got a LT1045 I bought in 2008. Belts, belts and more belts. I can't remember a time that I've made it all the way through cutting my 3/4 ac. yard without having to stop and put the belt back on. It's been 100's and 100's of time. I've replaced the 46" deck belt no less than 16 times since it was bought new. For a mower that "has a deck designed by a aerospace engineer" I dog-gone sure wouldn't stand next to their rocket. The Kohler engine has been dependable but not without some repairs. the top crank case cover came loose and slung motor oil everywhere. The steering it pitful and wore out way before it should have. The front wheels are toed out real bad. All in all the thing works me to death. I despise this mower and probably won't buy a cub cadet again.

• Ar
      28th of May, 2013

I have a 2 years old LTX 1050 and also the same problem with the belt popping off all the time. At $40+ belt retail price, It would be better to have a contractor doing the job for me. This is not acceptable!!!

• Ty
      23rd of Jun, 2013

Wish I would have researched this waste of money before thinking I was getting a quality lawn mower... Bought the 1045lx this spring from Home Depot, and threw the drive belt after 6 hours of light use... Of course, they are of no help, except for putting local hardware stores out of business. And I guess I'm supposed to load this worthless purchase up and take it to a Cub Cadet dealer, which there are none within an hour from me, and be without a mower in peak cutting season. I just can't believe that a product like this could be produced and not recalled with so many issues... Very disappointed with Cub on this one!!!

• Bo
      19th of Oct, 2013

I have a LTX 1050 that the belt keeps coming off now the transmission belt came off too. This mower was not cheap and Had I found this site sooner I would of bought another
    John Deere. Company can't even give a suggestion on why it keeps happening. I will never buy another Cub Cadet they are a peace of ###.

• Ss
      28th of Oct, 2013

Home Depot /Cub cadet should be Sued for this piece of junk they call a lawn mower. I bought one of these LT 1045 mowers in 2008 and the second time I pulled the PTO the belt came off. It was down hill from there. I could not make it through a cutting without having to put the belt back on numerous times. I got so frustrated I took it back to Home depot and talked so much ### to the store manager that she told me to pick another one off the floor and I did, The second time I pulled the PTO the dam belt came off and I have been dealing with it every since and it is now 2013, I'm done with this trouble I'm getting ready to buy something else, anything except a Cub cadet. Cub cadet had a reputable name before Home depot started selling the junk mowers. I paid $1800 for that piece of crap and no one even wants to work on it . Why don't they take this junk off the market rather than keep selling it knowing that it is no good.

• Li
      1st of Nov, 2013

I purchased a LGT 1054 model. At 10 hours, the front tire rod came off. At 14 hours, the front wheel went flat and needed air with every use. At 28 hours, the belt came off and would not stay on. I contacted Cub Cadet customer service and made it to the third level. They agreed to send me a belt. After much research, I found that this was a common problem and contacted customer service again. They denied any such problem, pointing out that they would have been advised by their engineers. I advised "level III" to look on the internet, as it was screaming with the same complaint. I called three Cub Cadet authorized service repair technicians in three different states and all stated that the belt issue was a common problem, that Cub Cadet knows about it, and that putting on a new belt would not fix the problem. The issue is a design problem with the pulley system. I called customer service again and they again denied any problem, but authorized a "repair" by one of their technicians. I contacted every senior officer of MTD and got a letter which stated they apologize for the circumstances that caused me to write and would also authorize a repair. The rep repaired the mower using a "Low Cut Idle Kit Part Number 759-05026 from cub cadet designed for this issue, which they deny is a problem. He also fixed the wheel/tire issue stating that it is common for the bead to break and go flat on this machine. He did say, the Idle Kit would not fix the problem permanently. MTD and Cub Cadet have yet to acknowledge that there is a problem and offer the consumer anything. When my mower was delivered, there were 8 hours on it. I purchased it from Tractor Supply. The Cub Cadet service reps also advised me often these mowers would throw their belts after one or two hours and Tractor Supply would take them back and resell them as new, knowing there was a problem. I would warn anyone against purchasing a Cub Cadet Mower or dealing with Tractor Supply.

• Ju
      18th of Apr, 2014

At exactly 50 hours my deck belt came off. The warranty paid the fix. 6 months later and exactly 5 or 6 times after the fix the belt came off again. Cub Cadet will not pay the bill this time. Seems like a design problem not an operator or maintenance problem. The warranty rep has lied on the repair ticket that this was because of a failure to perform maintenance on the product. It had just made it 50 hour oil change!

I have another brand riding mover that has been running for 8 years and never did it have such a problem.

No more cub cadets!

• Co
      20th of Aug, 2014

I have a Cub Cadet Commercial Zero-turn 48 inch deck that's 2 years old I cut at number 7 on deck height and my belt comes off at least 3 times on my 3 1/2 acres and wraps it’s self around the Idler pulley bracket. I looked under the mower and the PTO pulley doesn't line up with the mower deck idler pulley that what is causing the belt to jump you mean to tell me that Cub Cadet can't see this I replaced my belt 2 times costing $43 a piece. This is a Factory Problem.

• Li
      20th of Aug, 2014

Update: The belt continues to come off even with their so called fix.

• Ki
      28th of Aug, 2014

I have a LT1045 bought in 07. It has thrown belts from the first time I mowed. Sent back under warranty and the problem never changed. I am ready to give up !! Never will I recommend or buy another Cub Cadet !!! I have had it 7 years...to long !!

• Pm
      28th of Sep, 2014

I bought a used LT1045 from a friend and mow just a normal-sized residential yard. My belt comes off almost always when I put the mower in reverse without shutting off the blades first, but it can happen at other times too, but I can usually prevent this from happening by just never shutting off the blades and never going into reverse.

• Te
      29th of Dec, 2014

Bought my Cub Cadet from Tractor Supply in 2005. Less that 5 hours it threw the belt. Could not re-install it. Saw that parts were missing from mower deck ( I work maintenance on production equipment) and took the whole thing back to tractor supply. They gave me a new one no questions asked. 2nd one had all the parts on the deck, but the motor smoked a lot. Took it to factory authorized service in area and was told they wouldn't get paid for the work by manufacturer and that they welded part of the cylinder. That fix lasted 4 months maybe. So oil drips on the exhaust manifold and muffler . . . you'd think I'd kill all the mosquitos in the county, but not that luck either. Now it won't start and backfires like crazy. Not sure if I want to get it fixed or go buy a cheaper lawn tractor. I have hated this piece of crap since I got it. Never again will there be a Cub Cadet on my property . . .

• Th
      8th of Feb, 2015

For you LT1045 owners. The mower deck belt throwing problem is readily fixed. Root cause is right-most idler pulley is mis-aligned about 3/8" too high. Fix is to remove its bracket and have a shop cut it and lower bracket height by 3/8". Did this to my LT1045 back in 2008 and have had no problems. Other thing is to *assure* that no oil or grease or debris interferes with free swiveling of both idler pulley brackets. Always keep contact area between pulley brackets and deck clean (use carb cleaner or whatever). No oil or grease (will attract dirt and bind). Frequently check for freedom of movement prior to mowing, ENGINE OFF, by grabbing both idler pulleys and moving them back and forth. If they don't freely move fix it or you will throw a belt. Yes, I know that the original design is less than adequate but if you do the above I expect you will minimize problems. It did for me.