Crackle / The commercials are so frequent that the viewing experience is ruined

2-5 United States Review updated:

Crackle doesn't have the best selection of movies, but there are enough that I WOULD use the service IF it weren't for the incessant commercials. I understand services like Crackle make money off advertisements, but don't the Crackle executives read reviews of their site? The commercials are so frequent that the viewing experience is ruined--which means I'd rather NOT watch a movie than be rudely jarred out of entertainment-mode with garish, tacky, too-frequent commercials. Business people remark often that time is money. If they believe this, then they insult us by wasting our valuable time with commercial-overload. Better to pay for a movie, enjoy the 80 minutes, and get to bed, than sit through the insulting gibberish the ad companies try to push down my throat. And the irony is whatever product I DO happen to catch from an intrusive ad, I have such a negative feeling about I'm SURE not to buy it. Enough ads!

Hi

Comments

• Th
      15th of Jun, 2012

You have no right complaining about ads if the service you are using is free. If commercials bother you so much, get Netflix.

21st of Jun, 2017

@Thud Absolutely correct! I can't believe people are [censor]ing about advertising on a free service. How else is it supposed to be free!!! You know what pisses me off paying for cable and satellite to get loaded with more commercials and Crackle has. And I'm paying for it! How about complaining about a service like Comcast where you pay them a crapload of money per month and they still throw tons of commercials in it. I love Crackle!

• Bo
      22nd of Sep, 2018

@Thud Watching 5 minutes of a movie and then 6 minutes of a commercial, rinse and repeat, is insane. One movie was enough for me. deleting Crackle App from my Roku.

• Br
      15th of Jun, 2012

It is because of those revenue generating ads that the free service can be made available to you.

• Wa
      17th of Jun, 2012

Iron Muffin just copying what everyone else is saying once again. Anything original to add or are you just a parrot?

8th of Jul, 2013

I used crackle once. as you said the ads are WAY mega overboard frequent. there are more adds than on TV. I wrote down the names of the companies being advertised and put them on my list of business to never buy from. then I deleted crackle. Their movie selection is garbage just like netflix. old outdated stupid B-rated crap.

• Re
      21st of Sep, 2015

I watched one movie, and now no matter which movie I choose, it just plays the same damn movie again!!! It does not register that I've chosen a new movie, even though it appears to think it's playing that movie, it's still just playing the first movie I watched!!!

• Te
      27th of Nov, 2015
    Best Best Advice +30 Votes

I'm sorry, did someone post here that - "you have no right to complain if the service is free" (??)
    There is absolutely nothing about Crackle that is free. If you devalue your worth so much that you think your time and attention have no value you might ask why they spend millions on commercials.
    Frankly if I am watching a show and there is any recognizable product in frame then I am indeed being advertised to already without a commercial break. Be that a car, watch, appliance, alcohol, cigarette, any brand period - I have paid with my attention either subliminal or conscious. How anyone can say that 5 to 6 sets of 4 to 5 commercials in a row justify the privilege of watching Hollywood tripe shows how low an opinion they have of their self worth.
    We are the consumer, the target audience, our viewership is essential to revenue. How we vote is ALL that counts and they know it.
    Crackle is in a bind because of their model, people do not like the incessant commercials which are far greater than traditional broadcast stations. This is the reason they have to show so many commercials - to make up for the loss of better quality viewers who won't stand for this nonsense and leave.
    As of today I am removing the channel from my Roku list. The last thing I want is for this garbage to catch on.

• Re
      6th of Jan, 2016

Trying to watch Art of the Deal, unwatchable. Too many commercials. Keeps freezing up. I really think this channel is run by crackheads.

• Bu
      17th of Mar, 2016

Watch almost a whole movie and every time it goes to commercial it starts way back at beginning, try to fast forward, and goes to commercial and back to same spot way back at beginning. It has done this for more than one movie.

• Br
      27th of Aug, 2016

The Crackle app on my old Sony Blu Ray player seemed to have less content but during an episode of lets say Married With Children, there'd only be one to two commercials every ten minutes, and they were uber short. The Crackle app on my Roku looks better and seems to have far more content but after the opening credits of Married With Children there's 5 commercials, then after 5-10 minutes of the actual show, there's another 4 commercials. The commercials also seem to freeze for a moments quite a bit. The whole "the service is free so you have no right to complain" defense of Crackle just doesn't fly because a lot of tv channels are free, like the CW, but the CW airs half the commericals during a 30 minute show that Crackle does, same goes for NBC, CBS, etc, and so on which are also all free.

Its a shame because Crackle on my Sony blu ray player was a great service, they had all of the episodes of Robotech last month for example and only one to two commercials every 12 minutes, but on the Roku, it sucks.

5th of Nov, 2016

Made the mistake of falling asleep during a movie and trying to resume the next day. Fast Forwarded to halfway through the movie, and Crackle is like "Nice try. Now watch every single commercial break you skipped over." About 50 commercials in a row.

• Di
      18th of Nov, 2016

I love Dennis Quaid...and I understand that ads generate the revenue that pay for these big stars' ENORMOUS salaries...BUT...2 minutes of ads every 10 minutes on CRACKLE simply make the programs UNWATCHABLE. If nothing else, follow the HULU model and let people pay a few dollars a month to get rid of these obnoxious, invasive ads. I have DELETED the CRACKLE channel from my ROKU box until such time as the powers that be at CRACKLE wake up to the fact that their customers are not going to put up with this.

17th of Dec, 2016

So im watching a movie on crackle on my PS4 over and hour in i check something else out on my ps4 for a few minutes and go back and hit resume movie and it took me back around the 30 minute mark. So i fast foward and i have to stop for the commercials or else it freezes. Then when i get to a certain commercial break it freezes completely so i cant finish the movie. If you ever use this #### service you better be ready to watch in one sitting or you will regret it

• Dc
      26th of Jan, 2017

For me when I try to watch Comedians in Cars it just plays the same commercial over and over again. Newer plays the show.

12th of Apr, 2017

Beside all the commercials, it is always the same ones first Red Lobster then Starbucks then Red Lobster then again Starbucks then a vacation ad, then Nintendo then another Starbucks then Nintendo again, finally I get to see 10 min. Of movie then back to the commercials. There is almost more commercials than movie.

• Th
      27th of Apr, 2017

Can't watch a momie without that dang lowes commercial every 3 minutes!! And always the same damn one! No more crackle for this family thanks anyway. Can't keep a kid quiet to watch a movie to begin with without all these damn commercls!

27th of Apr, 2017

Agreed

28th of Apr, 2017

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks ads are getting out of hand. If I invest my time in watching something then I expect it to be THAT and not a bunch of commercials about cars. Youtube is the same now, it's all about ads ads ads and the only way to make them stop is to pay for their Youtube Red which I won't do. And they put ads even on free videos that users make themselves and upload. How is that fair? Youtube makes money but the person who makes the video doesn't.

• Di
      23rd of May, 2017

It is bad enough that there are way too many commercials, the same commercials, over and over doing the buyer of the ad time no benefit more than if they were shown once or twice. But Crackle is so buggy that on every error, it makes you watch the commercials again, and doesn't stream well, so ads take much longer to play than the content. Crackle forgets where you left off? Play long stream of ads until you can move the start to correct position, and plays ads again. Missed the exact point, maybe a little too far backward or forward? Correct and receive 6 minutes of ads that take 30 minutes to play (as they stop, fail to load, ...). It would be far more effective if the ads were fewer, not repetitive, not suddenly higher quality than the movie destroying the bandwidth, and not punitive in making you always watch ads every time Crackle makes an error.

• Fu
      3rd of Jun, 2017

I appreciate that Crackle is free, and MANY more people would use it and see the ads if they were better managed. I get ads anywhere from every 7-9 minutes, and they don't fit in where a normal commercial break would be expected. They just show up out of the blue and interrupt important scenes. The longer I watch, the more commercials I get. I guess they figure once you are invested n the show, you will watch even more. Sadly, after watching 7 commercials, it goes back to the menu (it probably got tired of the commercials too). When I try to resume, the commercials start all over again. I watched a 1 hour and 42 minute movie, and it took almost 4 hours. I think that is unreasonable, even if it is free. I know it's my right not to watch, and I won't be anymore, until they find a happy medium that is more acceptable.

21st of Jun, 2017

@FudgePants If you don't like it then don't use it you [censor]. How stupid are you. What you need to do, is find your local drug dealer buy a gun put it in your mouth and pull the trigger because you are a complete waste of air you stupid ignorant [censor].

• Li
      4th of Nov, 2017

@agon024 Are they paying you to sound so loyal? FREE Hulu doesn't have this many commercials.

• Ro
      18th of Aug, 2018

@agon024 You are a complete [censored] and [censored]...better yet why don't you go stand in the middle of any street while cars come at you and run your worthless ass over!

• Ro
      18th of Aug, 2018

@agon024 YOUR A COMPLETE [censored] AND [censored]

• To
      16th of Jun, 2017

Crackle needs to fix their advertising engine. A recurring complaint in this thread is that the commercials just pop up at odd times, in the middle of scenes. This is not be design... this is called Lack of Design. Perhaps Crackle is cash strapped or perhaps they don't care. Whatever the reason, the commercial delivery is flawed badly and it will eventually cost them dearly. I am about done with the service myself due to the poor commercial delivery.

21st of Jun, 2017

@Tom8Williams How about you stop [censor]ing about a completely free service you ungrateful [censor]. If you don't like it sign up for Netflix. Aside from that shut the [censor] up! It's free! Do you really want to continue with these comments. Go ahead. I'll rip into you you little [censor]!