Costco.com Online Escrow Services / money gone??

BC, Canada Review updated:

The seller of the sewing machine I agreed to buy after seeing it online went through costco.com online services for the transaction. I had several inquiries prior to transferring the agreed upon price of $1200, which were answered immediately by the Costco customer support representative. I have an invoice and tracking number. After transmitting the money via a Western Union money transfer and sending confirmation of payment to Costco, I have not heard a word. I sent numerous emails both to Costco.com and the original seller. No response has been forthcoming. Have I been scammed?
The website seemed straightforward and legitimate. The Costco service was to provide both the seller and myself with a third party to see that the transaction went smoothly. The seller had agreed to pay the escrow fee. Now he doesn't answer my emails either. What is going on? Any similar experiences or thoughts on where to go from here?

Comments

• Gi
      Jul 03, 2011

Yeah, you got scammed. You should never wire money for an online purchase.

• Gi
      Jul 06, 2011

I'm afraid wiring money is much like mailing cash to someone. You can't get it back unless the person decides to send it back. It's a ### scam that so many people get taken by. I've read about people who lost millions over a period of years to scams and estimates that 2 billion dollars a year are lost each year collectively.

• Mo
      Sep 08, 2011

You were scammed. The scammer (probably in Africa) pretended to be Costco. Your money is probably in Al-Qaeda's hands.