Costco / rude manager

When and why would a customer be pushed to the point of calling a manager an a...h...!!!Well Im 60 years old and I could not contain myself when trying to talk to this rude and disrespectful asst. manager. I asked to speak to the manager in reference to the dates on their chicken salad... after hearing a long conversation about the dates of the 3 day old product, when i just wanted fresh chicken salad, not any that expired the next day... Darrell the asst. mgr.. after repeatedly very loudly telling me I was NOT listening to him... I choice to walk away telling my husband this guy was an a..h... ..and we needed to just go... Darrell followed us from the checkout to the front door... walking behind us...yelling at us.. got in front of out cart..HELD OUR CART..would not let us pass... told us we could never return to this store again... When we asked for his business card he would not give us one... We told this angry, rude, unprofessional, untrained manager.that we would take this up with COSTCO administration...he walked away... WE called Jim Sinegal office at Costco home office, [protected]. and left a message on his asst. phone... who is Karen P. Also, when we called the COSTCO store were this took place and asked for Darrells last name, they would not give it to us...We have spent large amounts of money at Costco over many years...When I went to the complaint website..I was could not belive all the complaints registered towards COSTco...When management can treat the people who keep them in business in this manner...it is poor management indeed...sk.

Sk

Comments

Qi
  25th of Oct, 2008

We ate lunch at King of Prush Costco. The checken salad tasted so bad so that we checked the date: 10/23/2008. We sent it back to the food servce and were told that the salad was made today (10/25/2008). I brought the salad to the member service. The guy just laughed at me by saying it as made 10:23am this morning.

Costco used to have the best service among the stores. People said that it is because their employee gets the best benefit and pay. Now the service is getting worse and worse. The line before the checkout is getting longer and longer. The attitude of their employee is getting ruder and ruder. Is that because the corporate cut theiry benefit or pay? Is it related to the bad economy? Or just because they already had so many customers (paid members)? Look at the parking lot, it is hard to find a parking spot. They don't care about their customer anymore.

Called their customer service center and canceled my membership. The stink salad will stay in my memory for a while. Once the memory fakes away, I might join the membership again.

Al
  20th of Nov, 2008

O yeah like the assist. manager has nothing better to do than follow you outside because of chicken salad.

Wh
  6th of Aug, 2009

My husband and I have had to return many items at Costco that clearly have been repacked that customers have returned that are missing parts, or are defective. It is no longer cost effective to buy these items at costco because we live on a island and returning these items on are once a month trip is clearly frustrating . I have complained to them and it continues to happen. So costco has lost my buisness on anything that is a nonfood item. its to bad that they do not take the time to check out there returns instead of just taking there customers word that they have not used them and that the parts are all there.

Ki
  28th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

take a cart, put some vulnerable staffs, like eggs, glass, flour in it and vandalize them while u go around in the costco and leave them inside and come out and have a cheap hot-dog and pop and go home...

Jk
  10th of Nov, 2009

^ FYI, you get spotted, you will be arrested. Just thought I should point that out.

29th of Apr, 2010

I have been using coupons at Costco since they started sending them. The first couple of times I used them I dutifully cut them out like I do at our other grocery store. Each time I tried to hand them over the cashiers waived me off; they didn't need the coupons and would either punch in some unknown code or scan the coupon booklet (bar code near my address). The coupons would then be deducted for all the items I purchased. Great, I thought. Modern technology at work. I continued to use coupons and after the second or third time stopped cutting them out - why bother? I would show them the booklet, tell them I had coupons and they would do the rest. Well, tonight at 8:30 as the store was closing and there were a number of people waiting in line behind me the cashier ("Sharon") tells me I have to tear them out. I asked if she was kidding. No, she was not. I think I asked her 3 or 4 more times. Was she serious? It's 8:30 at night. The store is closing. There are people lined up behind me and she is going to insist I page through the booklet to tear each one out? I protested, told her I had been coming to Costco for years and never had to cut out coupons before. She then essentially accused me of lying saying they have only had coupons for a little more than a year. Note that I said I had come to Costco for years not that I had used coupons for years. We continued the back and forth, openly arguing, me threatening to complain to the manager, her saying she IS the manager. I was angry and told her so but kept my cool even though I was so mad I was shaking. I dutifully paged through the booklet and started to tear out each coupon one at a time - while people continued to wait behind me in line. Then she keeps telling me the amount due and I notice that it's not changing. She registered all the valid coupons even before I gave them to her, just as they always had. In the end I didn't even give her all the coupons. She was essentially making me jump through these hoops just to go on some kind of power trip. She claimed they needed the coupons because vendors are accusing them of registering coupons falsely. There were a number of different ways she could have dealt with the situation including (1) saying please do it next time and taking the whole booklet which would have provided them with the coupons they needed for the vendors. (2) Continued to insist that I provide the teared out versions but offered to help me tear them out thereby minimizing the conflict and saving everyone including all the other customers in line time, (3) registering the booklet and then suggesting I go the the service desk where someone would help me tear the coupons out (4) Still insisted that I tear them out to satisfy the store policy but do so apologetically, recognizing that I had not tore them out because my expectations had been set by multiple previous experiences in the same store. I know they do a lot of business and my money may not mean much to them, but I spend almost $300 that day and I have never been treated so poorly when spending that kind of money as I was this time. I will call corporate tomorrow and demand a refund on my executive membership. If I want to be treated like dirt I'll shop somewhere where I don't pay for the privilege.

La
  28th of Jan, 2012

Costco sucks anyway. Shop somewhere else. Even if coupons, the prices aren't as competitive as they used to be and the service sucks ###. The only thing Costco has is selling in bulk in high prices!!!

Ze
  18th of Mar, 2012

Costco customer service SUCKS. Their employee's are mostly clueless when it comes to where inventory is, their prices are not nearly as competitive as people think they are, and they treat you like a criminal before they will "let" you leave. You've all had to queue up in the stupid receipt checking line right? Whereby the employee glances at the 30-50 items in your cart, looks at the receipt, then waves you through as if she/he did the fastest inventory check comparison known to man looking for that one stolen item? It's a useless waste of time, the funniest part of it is if you walk in the entry circle around then leave without buying anything they do nothing, shouldn't they be frisking you? If you're going to steal just make sure you don't BUY ANYTHING first and laugh at all the suckers waiting in their second line of the day, once to get to a checker, then move 50 feet and get into the wanna get the f*** out of here line.

21st of Jul, 2012

It use to be the customer is always right. What happened to that motto. The store has coverage for spoiled food or things that break and other things. They have no reason to treat their customers rude.

21st of Jul, 2012

I feel they should of handled you more professional. Just replace the salad or refund it. What the manager did was harassment and charges could be brought against him.

26th of Nov, 2013

So disappointed.
I went this afternoon to buy some stuff for my daughter and since we are going to Europe for Christmas to take a picture for passport... I went vas greeted the lady at the back of the counter she didn't answer me. I said hello are you busy? She said we are always busy I then politely mentioned I wanted my daughter to take a picture she then said she have 600 pictures order so she can't do it except I come back the next morning I said ok I will just take her picture so I will pick it up in the morning then very unhappily she ordered me to tell my 16 mo to stand on the chair I assumed it is quick and safe while the child is in the chair she start talking with another person before I say a word my daughter fell down. She didn't say sorry I left so mad and spoke to the manager she careless she said she will talk to her never come back so I have to take my child to the hospital and pay for MRI since she was crying so bad and the chair hit her. It still cuts deep they didn't care! Defiantly you will get served if you don't write me your sorry letter and the action you took regarding your getto staffs.