Conn's / unauthorized charge to bank account

1 San Antonio, TX, United States Review updated:

I was contacted by a conn's representive for the final payment on my account. I told the agent to call back the next day that I would give her a credit card payment.

She sent an electronic check payment unauthorized to my bank with out my permission. This caused an overdraft on my account. Most of all she did not have authorization to charge my bank account. I am turning this matter over to the fraud department of my bank.

Be carfull with company they will charge you account with out permission.

Fr

Comments

• Au
      4th of Sep, 2010

They did the same thing to us. We have two accounts and we fell behind when my husband switched jobs and took a paycut. We made payment arrangements for an account and it went through as agreed. The following month they automatically withdrew the money from our account. The first time I called they denied it. I had to contact my bank and come up with the overdraft charge. Conn's agreed to reimburse my account if I provided the copy of the charge. But before I could fax the copies...they submitted the unauthorized check again. Then had the balls to charge my account another $35 for a returned check fee. It took me two weeks to come up with all of the documents. By that time my account was overdrawn and another arranged payment from our other account was returned. In total they owe us $172. We have faxed our paperwork as requested and we still haven't received a reimbursement as they promised would happen. We are now receiving 10 calls a day because we have two accounts. I have tried to explain the situation to their collection call reps and they say that I need to make a payment before they will stop calling. I'm not paying them another dime until we get our money back.

Why is it that if I were to fabricate a check and try to take money unauthorized from somebody's checking account...I would be charged for committing fraud and theft? Why are they allowed to steal from my checking account and not be held legally liable for theft?

• Wa
      31st of Mar, 2016

Conn's caused overdraft fees on my bank account by excessively trying to take a payment after they had already taken an unauthorized payment. They were in my account three times a day. Finally the bank called me to put a stop to them once and for all. They have bad billing practices and they don't own up to it. There really is something in their name that should have been a sign of things to come.