Compass Bank / Compass is Stealing Money from the Poor

United States Review updated:
I am disgusted and at a total loss. My mother-in-law, father-in-law, and their three grandchildren are being beaten down by Compass. They are missionaries in Mexico. They receive very limited funds to carry out their mission and maintain their living situation. Recently they went to an atm to pull out $500 to use as they needed for food and other living costs. The atm told them it could not dispense money at that time. To their horror they later found out the bank had debited the amount despite them not receiving any money at all. They contacted the bank, and as of now no one has come to the location to confirm the problem and on top of that they have charged them over $250 in overdraft fees. I know that since the location is in Mexico it may be difficult to do this, but they are CHARGING them while this is going on. These good people are being trampled on and kicked in the face by this heartless company. As I said they have very little money to begin with. This has thrown them into a very dangerous situation. Compass will not raise a finger to help them and is willing placing them in irreversible debt. My husband and I are sending them everything we can, but I have no idea what to do. I fear my family is sitting in a foreign country with little to now money and possibly running out of time. They will not recover from this is Compass keeps charging them to death. I need help and I have no idea where to go.

Comments

Hr
  10th of Jan, 2008
I am having a similar situation with my mother whose social security check is being eaten up by OD fees from this bank. Hasn't anyone thought about writing to the State of Alabama Banking Department or to the Alabama State Attorney General's Office. ( Their address is: PO Box 4600, Montgomery, AL 36103). The Chairman and CEO of Compass Bank is Mr. D. Paul Jones, Jr., Compass Bank, PO Box 10566, Birmingham, AL 35296. If this bank has branches in other states this becomes an interstate commerce issue and you should berihng this to the attention of the US State Attorney General's Office in Washington DC. Send him a detailed history and copies of all documents. Make sure you keep detailed copies of everything you send out and when you send mail make sure you send it priority mail with a delivery confirmation. It will cost you a little more but the security of knowing your stuff got there is worth it. Compass Bank will not pick up any mail that is certified/return receipt requested because that leaves a paper trail as someone has to sign for it!! Enough complaints and someone will do something!! The problem is that poor people don't know how to use the system to their advantage. Good luck!!
Su
  18th of Oct, 2008
Thank you so much for the address. I will write today. I was with this bank for one year. This was the worst business relationship I have ever experienced. They do not credit deposits for days. They take money out with a credit card authorization that hasn't even posted. I spoke to Carrie at corporate and she was extrememly hostile and defensive. I stood in line one day and all of the people in front of me complained. I am in Florida and there are numerous Better Business Bureau complaints against them.
Sh
  20th of Oct, 2008
Compass Bank Regulator:
The Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta
Public Affairs Office
Pierce Nelson 404-498-8748
Jean Tate 404-498-8035

Please call or write this number if you have complaints about Compass Bank. They simply cannot get away with these practices. They are outside of the norm of other bank practices.

BBVA Compass Bancshares / Compass Bank Logo BBVA Compass Bancshares / Compass Bank
Overall Satisfaction Rating