Citifinancial Auto / Auto title

United States Review updated:
CitiFinancial Auto
Poor Processes and Poor Customer Service

While a resident in Virginia, I bought a car at a dealership in Virginia and financed the vehicle through CitiFinancial Auto. I recently moved from Virginia to Washington, DC. Getting a new driver's license and registration was required due to the change of address. DC DMV requires the finance company to send them the vehicle's title before a driver can register the car. On February 26, I faxed CitiFiancial a "Letter of Guarantee" requesting that the title be sent to the DC DMV.

On March 10, the DC DMV still did not show any record of receiving the title from CitiFinancial. I called Citi and spoke to a customer service rep named, 'Peter.' Peter barely spoke English. He informed me that the title had been sent to the DC DMV on March 2. Peter assured me that the DMV would have the title within the next couple of days; although he was unable to tell me if the title had been sent via Certified Mail (therefore traceable).

I called the DC DMV. The DC DMV told me that as long as I have a tracking number for a certified letter containing a title that was signed for by the DC DMV then I would be permitted to proceed with registering my vehicle.

I called CitiFinancial back. This time I spoke with 'Jake, ' whom also had significant difficulty with the English language. Jake had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him how the titles were mailed to the respective DMVs. 'Are the titles mailed by Certified Mail?' I asked. 'No. They are sent by mail. It will be there in two days by electronic.' What? I asked for a supervisor. I was connected with 'Salvador.' Salvador was much better with English and understood my question. He put me on hold so he could find out the information.

Salvador then explained the following:

CitiFinancial did not have a title on file for my vehicle. The title was on file electronically with the Virginia DMV when I purchased the car at the dealership. Citi had to request that the Virginia DMV send them a hard copy of the title. This had been done on March 2. It takes between 2-3 weeks to receive the title from the Virginia DMV. Upon receipt of the title from Virginia, CitiFinancial will then mail the title to the DC DMV so that I can finally properly register my vehicle where I live.

The customer service reps at CitiFinacial are completely incompetent about what is going on with the accounts they're accessing. It took a supervisor to figure out that the title was not on the way to the DC DMV; it was on the way to CitiFinancial from the Virginia DMV, and it will take 3-4 more weeks for the entire process to be completed.

CitiFinancial doesn't manage the titles for the vehicles they finance. Apparently, they leave it to the DMV. This is surprising to me given that the DMV has little or no stake in the vehicle, but the financing company has a great deal at stake/ownership.

Do not finance anything with this company. They don't properly handle their own interests; it's hard to believe they will properly handle anyone else's.

A  4th of Jan, 2010 by

You are not alone!!!
N  27th of Feb, 2010 by
This company is assisting Alqueada to cripple the American public right under our governments nose!!!

CitiFinancial Servicing Logo CitiFinancial Servicing