Chrysler Pacifica

Posted:

sub frame rust

4.85
Chrysler
Went to get my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica inspected and was told it was "Unsafe to Drive" due to the front sub-frame being completly rusted through.
Have been told by Chrysler and Military Exchange New Car Sales that they won't cover repairs under the warranty since the car is almost 6 years old.
The inspector said he hasn't ever seen anything like it even on cars 30 years old! Already filed my complaint with NHTSA, everyone check your Chrysler Pacifica and do the same if you've got the problem.
Complaint comments Comments (54)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Cars, Parts & Vehicles

Comments

N  10th of Nov, 2012 by    +1 Votes
Big disappointment in a car I thought was going to be solid due to the Mercedes connection. Engine mounts I was told on mine rusting...Don't get it...What quality cars are out there anymore?
N  5th of Feb, 2013 by    +1 Votes
Here is the actual link for the letter . Owner remains anonymous. The letter does not state in between which dates for certain Vin #s . This letter states any question Pacifica between 2004 and 2005. This is an actual document with Chrysler . I have called Chrysler and read off the Document ID number and the letter they have is word for word but they now have a revised document . Take notice to the number on the top right hand side of the letter. Again this is not a VIN specific letter . So in a class action suit this letter will hold up as in any 2004 or 2005 Chrysler Pacifica meeting the criteria such as the salt belt states within 10yrs 150, 000 miles is covered.
N  14th of Nov, 2014 by    +1 Votes
I am the current, not original owner of a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica, and in a word it is a piece of crap! This car has cost me thousands of dollars since we purchased it in 2011 with about 75K miles on it. Immediately after purchasing the vehicle we noticed some sort of lurching or loping in the vehicle and took it to several mechanics who could not identify the problem. We were told that it was a throttle positioning sensor but that was not the case. About seven months after purchasing (three days before Christmas if memory serves me correctly) this junk heap had a timing belt snap on it with less than 90K miles on it! The damage ruined Christmas and destroyed our family finances for over a year. When this car was returned I noticed a strange pull in it and it developed an oil leak. In 2012 we went to smog it and found that the Catalytic Converter had gone out in the vehicle. To order the unit from the dealer, because I was told that there were NO CALIFORNIA RATED converters available ANY WHERE, would cost me over $1300 which I refused to pay and had the vehicle impounded for my actions. I finally was able to find a cheaper after market unit in 2014 for just under $500. This scrap heap now is not wanting to pull and it appears it needs motor mounts that will cost me over $200 just to purchase and then take a weekend installing if I do the job myself. I have more than a year and a half to left to pay on this pitiful excuse of a car and I would like some compensation for my families troubles with it. I have a nearly 24 year old Toyota 4Runner that I paid less than $400 bucks for 4 years ago that gives me less grief than this thing has. CHRYSLER YOU OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES for producing such a low quality vehicle! I have read the many postings on this cite and many others that explain all of the problems that people are experiencing with this vehicle yet you choose to sit there stoically claiming innocence in the production of such a low grade product! Several years ago you stood be for the people of this nation begging us assist you and bail you out of the financial mess you had gotten yourself into an now you refuse to repay that assistance, UNBELIEVABLE! Many of us have were struggling to pay for the car when we thought we had purchased a decent vehicle, these burdensome repair costs are dragging many of us under! If there is ever a class action law suit please contact me at crossdaddy@gmail.com.
N  26th of Aug, 2014 by    +1 Votes
I am the first owner of a 2006 Pacifica and regularly had it serviced, all at the same Chrysler service location. With no warning at all, I was told that the subframe was completely rusted and the car was unsafe to drive. It was also unsafe to sell it as I would likely be liable for anyone who might have an accident because of this issue.
I drive my children and their friends regularly in this car and I am astonished that there was a recall on the car, yet it was limited to a very few of the cars.
We should definitely pursue this as a group and notify the newspapers and the TV stations where everyone lives. There is no excuse for a company to be able to get away with this type of behavior. The Kelly Blue Book value for our car is $8, 925, and if Chrysler doesn't take care of this, we are out this money. We have taken meticulous care of this car and now it appears to be worthless.
I am starting my letter writing campaign now.
N  4th of Sep, 2014 by    +1 Votes
Add another to the list 2004...changed oil oil the weekend ...looked up at frame and saw massive rust ...poked it with wrench and rust just started falling to the ground...big holes on both sides. I am having steel plates welded on to both sides.
N  3rd of Oct, 2014 by    +1 Votes
Just failed state inspection... same problem as everyone else. 2005 with 125k, rusted subframe. Only family car that fits our family of 5 and in a real tough spot now. Not sure what to do...
A  4th of Feb, 2013 by    0 Votes
I just bought a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica as well. I bought it 2 weeks ago and heard noises the day after i bought it i took it to a shop today and i have the same problem with my PAC, the subframe is completely rusted out .The vehicle was garaged kept from 23, 000 miles up till now . I am the 2nd owner since 23, 000 miles. This PAC was purchased new in Delaware from the 1st owner and has been owned in the state since .

Chrysler did submit a letter and now have a revised letter to cover up their mistakes.

Type this into google search 0004617/#45543 / x26 . This is a letter from Chrysler stating they will replace 2004-2005 Chrysler Pacifica subframes if they are from the salt belt states upto 10yrs 150, 000 miles and here is the link stating what states are salt belt states. http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0ec024/598 .. read section #603 of 763.
A  2nd of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes
Here! Here! Becky,

I love your idea with the window captions. I too am in a mess with chrysler. Unfortunately I did my research after buying my 2009 dodge journey. My research showed that half of all journeys leave the factory in the same condition mine is in (too many issues to list here).

I have learned that quality control at chrysler is non-existent. Your approach is the best with the captions. Trying to take chrysler to court would be an exercise in futility however on the other hand, making your situation as public as possible is so much more damaging to the corporation - The internet can be such a powerful tool.

Good luck with your plight and I will keep at them north of the border -
N  13th of Jun, 2015 by    0 Votes
2005 Pacifica, engine about to fall out

N  6th of May, 2014 by    0 Votes

Chrysler - Gearbox failed
Chrysler South Africa.
South Africa

On the 16 April 2014 I was on holiday when my Jeep Wrangler gearbox failed. It was taken to Union Motors in Shelley Beach.
Feedback was that the Jeep submerged. I visit the workshop and Shaun the workshop foreman immediately mentioned that the jeep was under water. That was even before they open up the gearbox.
Since then they just come up with procedures to follow and Jeep head office to decide if it was negligence by the owner.
I have bought the Jeep a month ago and never touch water. The previous owner also confirmed he never submerged the vehicle.
The vehicle history show that it was only serviced and a wire harness that was replaced.
These vehicles are build to 4x4. The gearbox breather point are on top of the engine with a non return valve. How can it get water in.
The interior show no sign of water damage. They even blame the vehicle to be an in accident.
It is just unacceptable to try and put the blame on the owner if the vehicle is build to 4x4.The warranty say that the owner is responsible to only use the vehicle what it is build for...to 4x4. In the mean time I am without a vehicle because Chrysler take their time to repair the vehicle.This is my fourth Jeep and I love the brand. Now loving Jeep brand they treat the customer like this. The feedback was that it will cost R43'000.00 to repair or a new one will be R60'000.00. If a mighty company like Chrysler not wanting to repair the car UNDER WARRANTY> Where must I get the money who owe a salary every month get that kind of money. It will just not be fair.I am fighting for survival here.
N  3rd of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
si tienes razon, en esos tacos las salsas estan agrias
A  4th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
BIG PROBLEM SHOULD BE A RECALL-------CALL 888-327-4236 and report it.
N  29th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
Chrysler hasn't been known to make the best cars. General rule is if you plan on keeping a car for a while buy a 100, 000 warranty. I'm surprised if you haven't had to replace the inner tie rod bushings yet.
N  19th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
I got the same diagnosis from my shop. And I know another Pacifica owner who had the same thing occur. Perhaps Chrysler thinks it can wait. Can anyone say Class action lawsuit?!
A  3rd of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
oh sorry it was a 2005 Town and Country Mini van
A  11th of Mar, 2014 by    0 Votes
I have had the same issue. I was told by Chrysler that since the remedy they came up with did not involve replacing the clockspring and the air bag restraint module that I was( in effect SOL) not eligible for a refund. I paid over $500 for replacing both parts while they spent three years coming up with a solution to the problem.
N  5th of Feb, 2013 by    0 Votes
N  5th of Feb, 2013 by    0 Votes
Look at all these complaints !

I wish i kept my honda . Ive never had a honda rust out on me EVER. Nothing rusted out on those and spend how long on a boat getting shipped across sea full of salt water ..lol
N  24th of Sep, 2014 by    0 Votes
Badly rotted subframe here too on my 2004 Pacifica, 128K, single owner. I was just in today to get my brakes checked and new tires put on. But the mechanic alerted me to this more serious problem. Shipped me off to the autobody shop for an estimate. I called Chrysler dealership. This car is not within the extended period so they can't help me. I was going to buy another in a few years and was seriously considering the Town & Country bc I like my Pacifica and just needed more room. But NEVER will I buy a Chrysler again. They KNOW about the problem and they are not helping. Bc it would be too costly. But bad PR hurts too. Other car companies stand behind their cars. I've been reading these comments and hear about other companies repairing, giving out loaners, no problem. WTH?!
A  19th of Sep, 2014 by    0 Votes
Same here, 2006, bought less than a year ago used from a chrysler dealer. In the shop at that dealer now, told me it wasn't covered under $2500 extended plan. Told them to contact chrysler for me. I'm waiting for their verdict..

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree