Chase Credit Card / late payment fee dispute

1 PA, United States Review updated:

Received a late payment fee from Chase Credit Card even though the electronic bank payment indicated that I paid 2 days prior to the due date. This isn't the first time that I've paid 2 days prior. Spoke with 1 representative & pass on to supervisor & he couldn't care less so I closed my account. Was appalled at how terrible their customer retention process is for good paying customers. I have been a customer since 2003 & have never been late in paying. So due to their own error for not processing the payment sooner, they decide to lose a customer. Will not even allow a one time forgiveness period. Their loss. Don't sign up for Chase cards.

Iv

Comments

• Ro
      14th of Mar, 2009

Cant see how the goverment lets chase keep going with these scam tatics. I paid my card off in december and was later told I had over paid and was sent a refund only to find out I had a late charge that doesnt post to my account untill end of month. Mad I paid it then my late payment of my late charge was assesed a late fee on my late charge. (no wonder chase is now making money) then I called and was told they would take off only to receive another late charge on my late charge now 45.00 I paid it to stop the charges and was given a fax number to dispute the charges. Dont ever expect a reply so .

• Ki
      21st of Apr, 2009

I have been a WaMu Customer for 10 years. Chase took over and they changed the due date to the 20th of the month. The due date used to be the 23rd to the 28th.
    I pay like clockwork - never a late payment.
    I paid on the 21st like usual and saw the late fee on my account!
    I called Chase customer service - notta, no help. I ask them to make a concession on the late fee to save my
    credit rating. No help. In fact, they gave me the address of th CEO Jamie Diamon!
    Then I was paying my other Chase card as usual and noticed another late fee!
    I paid on the 20th of the month and the statement cuts on the 21st. I needed to make the payment between the 21st and the 9th of the month in order for the payment to be applied to the correct billing cycle! The interest rate jumped to 27.94%!!!
    So - Late fee for paying 1 day late and Late fee for paying 1 day early.
    I closed BOTH accounts.
    I will never do business with Chase AGAIN!

• Sh
      26th of Apr, 2009

The same thing happens to me. I have been a WaMu customer for 6 years. Chase bought it and changed the due date to be several days earlier and charge me for a late fee. I always pays on time. This time I was one day late (supposed to pay on 12th but I realized it on the 13th) since it is the first month that it switch to Chase service. I told one of reps and they took the late fee off but I still have to pay for the 1 day interest that I missed. That was ok and I paid the full balance of that bill. One month later, I paid attention to my due date and paid a full balance and did it 2 week earilier, on the 30th. Then I found out later that I still got a financial charge from the purchasing amount that occurs after a late payment cycle, from the 13th to 30th. How is this possible? Purchasing from the13th to 30 th should be in the new cycle bill and it should not be counted for the interest since I paid this cycle on time.
    Anyway I talked to the first reps. She is terribleeeee...Bad dddd in customer survice or may be she need a ... so bad. She shouted at me and did not listen to me. Then I requested to talk with another reps. She just said NO..NO ONE else can talk to you. Well...She just hang up on me. I called again but luckily I got a better one. He explained it to me.
    My point is that Chase has a bad service and a trick to do a business with. I closed my account with them. No more business with them. Please tell your friends. Do not open an account with Chase...It will Chase you Over ...As you can see by ITS NAME.

• Mi
      5th of May, 2009

Unbelievable. I have moved and sent my April payment with my new address. I still have not received a statement so I called customer service and spoke to reps, supervisors and managers who would not reverse the late fee so I closed my account and will send a complaint letter to: Richard Srednicki, Pres/CEO, Chase Headquarters, 270 Park Ave., New York, NY 10017-2070. Phone # 212-270-6000. I didn't know I had a late fee until I called for my balance thus being taunted my supervisors saying that they have the authority to reverse the late fee but won't. What customer service, they should answer the phones, "welcome to chase, how may we harrass you today?"

• Mi
      12th of May, 2009

I had a similar experience today. I'm closing all my accounts with WaMu/Chase. I'm only out $39.00 but Chase will never see another dime from me.

It was oddly easy to cancel my credit card account. No customer retention process at all, go figure.

• Rc
      19th of May, 2009

I've also had a bad experience with their customer service just yesterday. Been a cardmember since 1999 and have never had a late payment. I mailed out my payment normally giving it three days to get there. Due date was on a Sunday and the payment posted Monday morning. Got a $39 late fee and finance charge. Called customer service to be told that they "could" waive the service fee but were not going to. Managers were even worse. I felt like I was being talked down to. They have no desire for customer retention whatsoever. I'm exploring all avenues on this and cancelling my card. I also urge everyone here to spread the word to relatives and co-workers to cancel their cards and switch to a better credit card provider. I know of at least two people who will cancel with me so at least that's a start.

• Ka
      28th of May, 2009

I too had a late fee applied for a payment due on Sunday and processed on Monday. I've had the credit card since 1986 and always pay my bill in full. It turns out the mail was slow this month, so I got hit with the $39 late fee and shall owe another $35-$40 for interest on purchases made during the last statement period. I had no idea that an institution could charge a late fee for payments with due dates which fall on a Sunday and post on the following Monday. A Chase rep told me that Chase actually goes to the post office every 2 hours to collect payments, even on Sundays!!! Regardless, I wasn't aware of it, and frankly, don't know if I believe him. This is just another way for credit card companies to extract fees from thir customers. I expect they will try to cut the grace period even further in the future. This will snag even more people. Rather than closing a credit card account, it is often better to just cut up the credit card and keep the account open with a zero balance. Closing an account actually hurts your credit score since having revolving accounts with low balances is generally looked at as a good thing.

• Ju
      30th of Jun, 2009

I totally agree, they couldn't care less when I complained about a late fee for 2 days late - the first time ever. They make their money on poor credit risks, very poor business plan.

• Ho
      18th of Aug, 2010

July of 2009 I owed $12000 on my Chase cards. I was getting 0 % on one and 6% on the other. For some reason they didn't get the payment. Lost in the mail or in there office ...don't know.
    When I called, they acted like they could care less.
    Needless to say...my interest rate went up.
    This month I will have paid both Chase credit card off.
    That is over $12000 I paid in 13 months.
    Chase lost me as a good customer.
    You would think they would spent a little more time and money on Customer Relations then those stupid commercials on TV.
    Spred the word...nothing hurts a company more then word of mouth

24th of Feb, 2011

I am on a payment plan with Chase to pay off the balance of my card. Since I have been on the payment plan I have not missed a payment. Because I won't schedule payments ahead of time because I need to make my payment based on when I get paid and how much (so I can pay extra if possible), they call me about 5-8 times per day to harass me to set up a payment. Let me remind you that I HAVE NOT MISSED A PAYMENT ON THIS PAYMENT PLAN which I have been on for about a year and a half. I changed my ringer on my phone so I know when its them so I don't bother even looking at my phone when they call. They are ridiculous and I will never ever again have a card through Chase, and will only say very bad things about them. I also will not posess any new credit cards in the future. If I can't pay for it today then I don't need it, period.

• En
      20th of Jan, 2014

Chase is worst.

I have had about 20 revolving credit accounts. Only Chase had reported late payments 4 times when it is not actually a LATE payment.

Don't ever choose credit card run by Chase.

Chase is complete scam. Be aware of Best Buy/ Future Shop/ Sears Credit Cards!!!

You're warned!