Chase Bank / check cashing policy

Merced, CA, United States Review updated:

I am registering this complaint due to the fact that I recieved a pell grant check recently from my university. The check was drawn on Chase Bank. The amount is irrelevent. The situation is as follows. Walked into the Merced branch of the bank fully expecting to be able to cah a check drawn on the financial institution. Although pleasant the teller informed me that I would not be able to cash the check due to the fact that I had for ID was my valid California drivers liscense and my Social Security card. I am an intellegent man and understand the fact that they need to be careful, but as I had all valid ID and all paperwork from my university surrounding the circumstances of this check, not to mention the fact it was drawn on their bank. They could not honor the check as I did not have a bank card or someother form of identification. I requested to speak to the branch manager, who went over my options, to no avail. I explained that I am a student, albeit 52 years old that rents a room from folks, and does not have any utilities or any other form of ID other than what has traditionaly been acceptable. Then the manager went on to inform me that if I was 55 years of age, they could cash the check for me as their "senior citizen" policy. Thsi appalled me. What kind of financial institution can refuse to cash a vaild check from a reputable source, drawn on their bank, and make a different policy for ID, based on a variable of three years of age. I even offered to allow them to speak to my student counselor, as she could have easily gave them even further verification. They politely refused that option. I am here today to simply inform people that this bank is not a "people" institution. The one thing I did promise the branch manager in a polite fashion, was that I would recommend not using them for the duration, and that I would complain via the web, as I see many others have as well. Ban Chase Bank.

Comments

• Es
      8th of May, 2011

Chase is ridiculous with their fees. It's like flying Spirit Airlines, they charge for absolutely everything. I'm not a customer of theirs for this reason. My experience today proves how ridiculous they really are. I was given a check from a friend today in amount of $1000 from Chase. I walked into a local branch to cash the check as it was closer than my own bank. The teller then tells me that there is a 2% check cash fee. They wanted $20 to simply hand me my money, even though if I were to simply deposit it in my bank it would be free. I kindly took the check back and then drove 5 minutes to my own bank and then deposited it for free. I hope Chase goes bankrupt and people stop putting up with their idiocy. Glad I'm not a customer

• Bi
      27th of Sep, 2017

HOW TO GET AROUND CHASE BANK CASHING FEES!
    I am a General Contractor:

I simply took the check back and told the bank manager that I was going back to the check writer and charge them the $8.00 fee 'for not having an account at my bank'. He told me that ‘I didn’t have to do that’….I told him ‘yes I did! I was not going to pay a fee for cashing their member's check when they have already paid $2.00 to $3.00 to obtain and write the check to start with!’ And, ‘this absurd rule of theirs is the one reason I didn’t have an account there. It’s stupid!’ When I took the check back she said she did not know the bank was doing that, and was not going to pay Chase $10.00 or $11.00 every time she write a check. SHE MOVED HER ACCOUNT!
    I have about 25 customers with Chase accounts. Each time I add $8.00 to $10.00 to their estimate. I am not pay for them to maintain a Chase checking account! Chase cash more than 2, 0000.00 checks yearly ...that's $25, 000.00 a year that we are paying for their members to maintain their Chase checking account. 'WHO DO CHASE THINK THEY ARE? THE IRS! SEND THE FEE BACK TO THEIR CUSTOMER….. DON’T PAY IT!...LET THEIR CUSTOMER DEAL WITH IT!

• De
      19th of Mar, 2019

Wouldn't cash a check over $2500 from thier own customer! How is thay even possible for a bank to decline to pay for a check no matter the ammount, as long as money is in account.