Chase Bank / not refunding money due

1 CA, United States Review updated:

while doing my online banking on the 18th of may, i noticed to ATM withdrawals on my account from the 16th for 100.00 and 20.00 plus ATM fees totaling 10.00. the withdrawals were at the local market here. we never use non bank ATM's. plus i was out of town and have proof. i called the bank, explained the situation, was told by the clerk that they'd send me a blue envelope and form, to fill it out with my story and send it in via fax at the bank. Plus they said they'd credit my account for 130.00 . 4 days came and went, and nothing in the mail OR my account. so i called the bank. i was told less than 48 hours after the call they denied my claim. They never sent me the paperwork, never asked my side of it, never asked for my proof, NOTHING. today i've spoken to 4 supervisors and they are reopening the case, but i have to wait 5 working days for the credit, and if they deny the claim AGAIN then i'm out 130.00. i make 970.00 a month, so 130.00 is a big deal! plus, if they go over my account, they'll see i NEVER use any ATM except the one at the bank because of the fees. we're switching to Wells Fargo. either that or we're putting our money under the mattress.

Comments

31st of Aug, 2009

I was in the same situation, I sued Chase in Small Claims court for treble damages and won my case easily - you should do the same.
    It seems to be Chase policy in cases of ATM fraud to accuse the account owner of making the disputed withdrawals themselves and put the burden of proof on you.
    Their policy is in short: YOU ARE GUILTY UNTIL YOU PROVE TO US YOU ARE INNOCENT.
    Now Chase is a powerful Corporation but they still don't get to change one of the most basic laws of our great country - everyone is INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. This means that if Chase accuses you, they have to produce EVIDENCE to support their accusation.
    Research the 'Electronic Funds Transfer Act' and sue Chase for treble damages in Small Claims court - if you are innocent, you will have no problem winning your case as I did, I got my money back plus costs and expenses plus damages - Chase will be paying for my next vacation.

• Vi
      21st of Dec, 2009

I had a similar problem with them, someone took money from an ATM, and chase denied my claim about 40 mins after I filed a claim, they said my case will not even be investigated because by their guidelines its not eligible to be investigated. I am still calling them every day but no results yet, its been 20 days already. People, stay away from chase, your money is not safe in that bank. their claims dep sucks big time, WAMU was the best bank ever, chase is the worst.