Charter One Bank / taking rtewards points away

United States Review updated:

Hello
Charter One Bank has taken roughly 122, 000 points that I had accumulated over the last few years with an estimated cash value of $976 if I opted to get the debit gift cards. CharterOne Bank had decided that it was not in their best interest to continue to offer the Mega Rewards program and in Oct 2011 sent letters to customers stating that they had till the end of january to utilize the points or lose them. Unfortunately I was in Afghanistan till Dec 2011 and had never recived the mail. When I discovered the situation the company refused to cash out my points and offered my 25$, very insulting, I feel that CharterOne bank has stabbed me in the back after being a customer for 17 years as these points have actual cash value and charter one bank has simply taken an accounting liability and turned it into an asset for the banks coffers with out any effort to assist the customers that could not respond to their correspondance.
Does any one knows if CharterOne Bank has an iron clad position and if this would have grounds for a class action lawsuit. I would appreciate in knowing this. If any one else has been effected, interested in the know please contact me at [protected]@sbcglobal.net

Ks

Comments

11th of Sep, 2012

I, as well, was a victim of this. After opening 5 business accounts, and a personal account, the program closed. They said I was "notified", but of course like most people do most of my banking online, and don't even open the statements! After much arguing with them they let me cash in some points, however when they sent my replacement cards, the everyday points logo was not on there. Yes, I think they should be sued. They also charge $39 NSF fees for debit card transactions that are only $2.00!! They are a rip-off, however, they must have they're bases covered legally. Most banks are the same. They way they make millions is in all the NSF fees.