Certegy Check Services / check denied

United States Review updated:
As I was reading through all the other complaints I kept wandering......why can't we do something about this company? I have been fighting with them since August 07 when my check was denied to Eyemasters. They told me to send in a Certegy Gold Application, and I wouldn't have anymore problems. So I did. I had tried to call numerous times to make sure the application had gone through so I would not have that embarrassment again. At Christmas I had a check denied, which I just blew off because it was Certegy. Then last Friday (2-15) I had a check denied at Target. When I called the number I got the same recording, that it was just protection for me, not because I had a bad check writing history. I have been calling every day since then and finally got someone today. The reason they gave me for it being denied was just so stupid I couldn't hardly believe it. Here is the reason. On 2-7 I wrote a check (ck # 1176), on 2-15 I wrote a check (ck #1183). They said my check was denied because of the big gap between my check numbers! I was pissed off to put it quite frankly. She just kept saying "I'm sorry for the inconvenience, this is just a measure we take to protect you". I told her I was getting no protection from them, all i was getting was a pain in my you know where and alot of embarrassment, because the teller and the people behind me in line will just automatically assume its because I write hot checks.

So what can be done about this company? Reading through all the other complaints you realize how ridiculous it is the problems they have caused people. It ought to be against some kind of law?

Comments

Do
  7th of Feb, 2008
I ATTEMPTED TO PAY FOR TWO FENCE BOARDS, BY CHECK AT HOME DEPOT TODAY. MY TOTAL WAS JUST OVER 5 DOLLARS. TO MY SURPRISE, MY CHECK WAS DENIED!! I HAVE QUITE A BIT OF MONEY IN MY ACCOUNT, BUT, UPON CALLING CYNERGY, WAS TOLD THEY WERE ADVISED MY ACCOUNT WAS CLOSED!! OF COURSE, THIS CAUSED ME GREAT CONSTERNATION, SO I IMMEDIATELY CALLED THE BANK. (I'VE HAD MY ACCOUNT THERE FOR YEARS.) THEY VERIFIED MY ACCOUNT IS STILL INTACT. HOWEVER, THIS COMPANY IS TELLING MERCHANTS THAT I'M ATTEMPTING TO CASH CHECKS ON A CLOSED ACCOUNT. HOW ARE THEY ABLE TO GET AWAY WITH THIS?
Re
  19th of Feb, 2008

Mi
  22nd of Feb, 2008
Bad check cashing service, they got some files stole last year and because one of certegy employee did that now I am having trouble cashing cheks a Argossy casino, when you call them someone will tell you they can find nothing wrong and to try again the same thing happens, I think any one using this service, we should get together and not spend money at the place of business until they get rid ofCERTEGY check cashing service.
Mi
  22nd of Feb, 2008
Lets stop buying from a company that uses this service my checks numbers are in the 5500 numbers and is a good account no trouble until CERTEGY.
Ma
  15th of Apr, 2008
I had this same problem, I write a lot of check at Home Depot as a business, last year over $50, 000.00. Today my check was declined becasue I fit the profile for fraud. I guess I will be doing my shopping at Lows for now on if this is the way Home Depot is going to do business. They should be using local check collection companys, not some national company that will cost them money. No wonder their bottom line is not that good!
La
  15th of Apr, 2008
I am on hold with these people as we speak. I have not been able to write checks at many of the local merchants in my area because of Certegy. I can't get any relief or response from them by phone and there is nothing on a website unless you want their services. This is an embarrassment and a huge hassel. If anyone knows of action being taken against this company, please pass it along. Thank you. Laura.
Ma
  17th of Apr, 2008
Hi, I would like to know if you have any response from anyone. My issues are identical to your. I am disabled. I would appreciate any advice i can get. Thanks, mary
Ka
  16th of May, 2008
I went to K-Mart today and wrote a check and was declined by Certegy. I was humiliated and felt like a fool in a line of customers. I wasn't declinded for "bad check writing", in fact I have no record of any bounced checks with any check verification companies. The automated system at Certegy stated it had something to do with my check writing pattern and that it was for my protection. REALLY??? COME ON!!! I called back and spoke with a live operator and all she wanted to do was send me a brochure on how I can elevate my check writing abilities with them. WHAT??? I write at checks at Kmart at least once a month. I have also written them at TJ Maxx and Marshalls and other places that use Certegy and have NEVER had this problem. My bank is in awe that I'd be declined for this absurdity. I was told by Certegy to use a debit card. Well, guess what? I don't always like to use it and most times it's because I've left it at home. I should be able to pay for something in any manner I please. How dare Certegy dictate what I can and can not do. How can they get away with this???????
Wi
  22nd of Aug, 2008
In March I had some checks from a 10year closed account. The bank doesn't exist anymore. It was bought by Chase in 1998. Someone has been cashing checks with this bogus paper. It has now turned up on my credit report thanks to Certegy!!! If they did their homework they would see it was fraud.
Easier to tag the innocent.
Wi
  16th of Sep, 2008
I had the same experience with this company. This is what we did. We went to a store and the total purchase was $202.39, I proceed to pay with an American Express, the merchant said they do not accept it. They accepted checks, so we decided to write a check. After being denied by Certegy and being on hold for more than 45 minutes I decided to talk to a store manager. We said to the manager that he should be able to override the system, by not doing so he will lost a sale and a customer. That, the information he could obtain from us will be enough if the check became unpaid and that our state provides serious legal punishment to those who give hot checks. He proceed to accept the check. If these do not work with your merchant, please write them a letter with your story and stop buying in that store. One last comment, contact your Bank and ask them to write Certegy on your behalf. Banks should be able to provide these companies with some kind of feedback about the account holder that will allow them to take decisions on checks. Hope this helps.
Go
  19th of Dec, 2008
CHecks are old fashion. I have yet to see a checking account (even the free accounts) not have a debit card attached. Start using a debit card and you will have no problems. As long as you got the $$$ to cover the purchase.
As
  21st of Jul, 2009
THE CHECKING ACCOUNT I HAVE IS A LIFE INSURANCE ACCOUNT AND YOU DON'T GET A DEDIT CARD WITH THAT KIND OF AN ACCOUNT SO WHAT DO I DO IN THAT SITUATION ...I HAVE NO DEBIT CARD TO USE??? MY 4 YEAR OLD DOG PASSED AWAY SUNDAY BECAUSE I TOOK HER TO AN EMERCENCY VET HOSPITAL AND MY CHECK WAS DECLINED BY CERTEGY SO I HAD TO TAKE HER HOME AND SHE PASSED AWAY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT ...SHE NEEDED A BLOOD TRANSFUSSION ..SHE HAD HEMOLYTIC ANEMIA SO WHAT DO I DO FORGET THIS EVER HAPPENED??????? HOW DARE THEY DECLINE MY CHECK AND I HAVE THE FUNDS IN MY CHECKING ACCOUT TO COVER MY BILL HOW DARE THEY DO THIS TO ME AND NOW MY LITTLE PEANUT IS GONE ...I DON'T KNOW WHAT I CAN DO ABOUT THIS BUT I'M GOING TO KEEP RESEACHING UNTIL I FIND SOMETHING I CAN DO ...IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS PLEASE CONTACT ME EMAIL ADDRESS IS astarchild518@aol.com THANKS
Ka
  14th of Nov, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Today Nov. 14, 2009 I was told that the reason that my check was denied is because there have been a lot of fraud checks at this store lately and that my check was close to the fraud check numbers. This just did not make any since to me because my check is good and is not a bad check nor the other check. They said that it did not have to do anything with me and that I did not have any bad checks nor a bad record that it was just a thing that happens sometimes and it's their decision.
Funny thing they told me the same thing twice last year when I was shopping another store. I was embarrassed and mad. I told them that I never did have this problem before one of their own employees stole my identification/personal information and sold it to another party. Finally he said to me, 'We Will Not Accept Any Of Your Checks.'
After I hung up the phone I re - read over the letter that I received from Certegy dated July 17, 2007. One of the paragraphs said: As you might expect, the employee was terminated upon Certegy learning of his actions. Certegy promptly investigated this incident to ensure that any inconvenience experienced by you is minimized. In particular, Certegy: Implemented a fraud watch on Certegy's internal systems for those checking accounts that were impacted. MY OPINION NOW! I'm reading this like, any checks that I write to a business, and that business uses Certegy, my check is just automatically denied due to the Fraud Watch. I thought the fraud watch was suppose to help protect me from any other employee or anyone else from steeling my private information. All I've seen now that Fraud Watch is, is a label that is now on my name and my checks that go through certegy and it's like it reads, FRAUD WATCH!!! Oh, watch out for this check acct., it's FRAUD. Is anyone else getting this too?
This company discriminates on the innocent. Their employee raped me, I did not steal, lie, or try to cheat them. So who's innocent and who's guilty now?
Their has to be someone out there that knows about this kind of law and is willing to help.

FISGlobal.com / Certegy Logo FISGlobal.com / Certegy