Budget Car Rentals / unfair charges!

1 Wethersfield, CT, United States Review updated:
Phone: 860-571-8426

A 16' lift gate truck that we rented from Budget, would not start after we got to our destination to move something. When we picked the truck up from the dispatching dealer, he told us that diesels were slow to start but that if anything should happen, we should contact their customer service line. Well we did and they sent a repair truck to come to our aid. The repair man checked the fluid levels and was able to get it started within a minute or so. He then commented to my husband and my brother that he would write it up as it needing the idle speed adjusted. 40 minutes later, we were able to get back home, drop our piano off and return the truck. Later that evening, we received a message from Budget stating that we would be charged for the service call.

First thing Monday morning we called their customer service dept to explain our situation and we encountered very RUDE customer service people. They kept insisting that we should have kept the truck idling while we were in the process of the move as lift gate trucks require this and that it was our fault that we used the truck improperly. What a bunch of nonsense!!! No instructions were given with the truck that told us we had to do this. They said that the only way that they could take the $95 repair call of my credit card is if I could get the repairman to rewrite the service call ticket. We tried calling the garage twice and can not reach the repairman. This is just totally unfair. We pay for truck that we expect to work properly and when it didn't, they charged us. We have AAA and could have called them. Don't rent from Budget. They are rip offs and their customer service staff is RUDE!!!

Ka

Comments

• Ia
      16th of May, 2008

We had similar trouble. Picked up a truck with no brake lights. Took it back in the morning before leaving for the 1400 mile trip and they said, "Oh, there are no bulbs in the brake lights. " They then called the main office to get approval to put brake lightbulbs in the truck and then told us it would cost us $48 for their services. WHAT?? I told them, "I'll just go to Advanced Auto and buy some and install them myself." They immediately installed bulbs and we left at NO CHARGE to us. I think they are scamming people for little repair parts. I'll never use them again.