Bottom Line Books / sending unsolicited books!

1 PO Box 508Clarion, IA, United States Review updated:
Phone: see below

Another victim here of the unsolicited book scam being perpetrated by Bottom Line Books. Mine came with no invoice, labeled that there was a 'free gift inside' . As I had bought Bottom Line 2007 (not worth the money) it initially appeared the book itself was the 'free gift' for past patronage of the company. Apparently the free gift was a calendar inside but you only knew that if you looked at the various ads enclosed ( in a vain search for an invoice or some other explanation of why you got the book). No phone number to call. I assume the idea was to wait till near the end or after the usual '30-day approval' period that comes with books, then send the bill and when you realized the scam, tell you it was 'too late' and you were stuck with the book. Anyone without access to the internet would clearly be totally stuck - no phone number, no way to contact these folks. Thankfully in looking for a number, I came across the many sites describing this scam and realized I was being 'had'. The only phone number I found on their site - which is www.bottomlinesecrets.com - was their Stamford, Connecticut publishers (Boardroom, Inc., 281 Tresser Boulevard, Stamford, CT 06901, [protected]). However the person at that number provided the ACTUAL contact number, which is [protected].

You call that number and get a long spiel about how if you ordered Treasury of Health Secrets and its been many weeks and you haven't received it yet 'don't worry, be happy'. Don't be dissuaded. That's the correct number. Talk to the real person. Write down the name. As soon as you describe the problem, she (or he) will launch into an 'explanation' of how you managed to be 'subscribed' to something without your knowledge or consent - basically 'when you order from us, we put you on a subscription list for future mailings'. I cut it off mid-sentence, asked her if she wanted the book back and if so to forward
postage, to remove my name from their databanks for all ads, mailing, and sending anything whatsoever. She agreed to 'send a return label', which may take '7 to 10 business days'. I only hope this is the end of it.

My suggestions. Make a formal complaint with the Attorney General offices, consumer fraud division in YOUR OWN STATE (state where damage suffered), IOWA (state where activity is coming from) and CONNECTICUT (state where the corporate responsibility lies. Of the three, I'd especially pursue the one in Connecticut. That's where the 'profit trail' leads. If you're
further embedded in the mess and they're trying to 'collect' for something you didn't order, which seems to be the case with a lot of the comments, send the collection agency and the 3 major credit agencies (Experian and what ever the other two are) a copy of your letters to the AGs. If the collection attempts don't stop, send a letter to the AG's Office about the collection agency itself. Send more than one if necessary. And if all else fails and your Attorney General's office is unresponsive, contact one of the media programs in the larger cities that do special programs on scams that affect a lot of people. You'd probably be doing the public a great favor.

Comments

Ma
  16th of Feb, 2008

They sent an unsolicited book. It said Free Gift enclosed on outside cover with no packing list inside. One week later, I received a bill for Yearbook 2008. I found the following numbers and addresses and will call when their offices are open. I've subscribed to the magazine for some time and bought a book recently with no problems. If this is not resolved in a favorable manner, I will cease doing business with the company.

Contact info for Bottom Line

El
  18th of Feb, 2008

Your info was very helpful, I did call using your 800 number and so far it worked to obtain a zero balance... Thank You.

Da
  4th of Mar, 2008

Thank you for this advice! I called the 800 number you recommended, and am getting return postage for the book, and am off their database. This was extremely helpful.