Bob's Furniture / unassembled furniture rip off

1 S Attleboro, MA, United States Review updated:

I purchased an electric fireplace media center. It was not cheap! We paid $600 for it, and it is a lovely looking piece of furniture. The salesman told us we would have to install the firebox into the mantel. He said this 2 to 3 times, so we would not expect a fully assembled fireplace.

However, our good salesman neglected to say the mantel would not be assembled.

So, after waiting 3 weeks (the store carries no stock except for damaged goods in their 'pit.') for it to be shipped from their main warehouse, we went to pick up the item and much to our chagrin, the warehouse person drops 2 boxes into the pickup truck. I asked where the mantel was. He kicked one of the boxes and grunted 'here.'

I went inside. I was told that this was a 'flat pack' purchase. I calmly stated that I expected to put a firebox into an assembled mantel. No, no, no, that was wrong, I was rather rudely informed.

When I began to explain what I understood the purchase to be, the young lady became rather indignant stating that I had to take it as it is.

So...I took the pieces in the boxes, because I wanted this fireplace.

However, next time I want to purchase 'flat pack' furniture, I will NOT spend $600, and I'm sure my 'flat pack' furniture purchase will be made at IKEA or Christmas Tree Shop.

It took me about 4 hours to assemble this (with assistance holding parts). I do not believe it was meant for the average consumer to put together.

Bob's is a rip-off. The minute they get your money, they treat you very different.

I would not recommend this store to anyone.

-mary

Ma

Comments

• Bo
      11th of May, 2009

Hi Mary –

My name is Christina and I'm contacting you on behalf of Bob's Discount Furniture. I'm so sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience. Customer service is truly a top priority for us and I’d like to help out if I can. I know you’ve been in touch with customer service, but I’d encourage you to reach out to our team directly at 860-474-1200 x1, and see if there is anything we can do. We appreciate hearing from customers and hope that you'll give us another shot.