Best Buy / service refund

1 Store #1046, Brentwood CA, United States Review updated:

I had purchased a LCD HDTV with accessories in May of 2008. Along with the purchase, I was coerced into buying a $250.00 home theater calibration. I was told at the time that the picture quality and monitor life would be improved. I was also told that I would be contacted by phone to set up an appointment at my residence for the service at a date convenient to my schedule but that the call may take 6 to 8 weeks. After two months, I received a cryptic voice mail message that was completely cut off except for "...eek Squad. Have a great day." Little did I know at the time, but this was an automated call to inform me a technician was automatically scheduled to show up at my house for the calibration. I found out about this when I received a call a few days later from a very angry person stating he was at my residence for the calibration and where was I. After three more "automated" attempts at mis-scheduling, I cancelled the service in November 2008. By the way, Best Buy policy is not to allow customers to choose their schedule; it is chosen for them. I was told at the time that my account would be credited back to my bank. My mistake was I forgot about the "supposed" credit until January when I was preparing receipt for my taxes and came across the Best Buy receipt. Just in case, I reviewed all of my bank statements since November; no credit. On Monday, February 2, 2009, I called the Geek Squad number I had been given on the 3 voice mails earlier last year. After verifying that my service had indeed been cancelled, the representative told me I could go in to any Best Buy store to obtain an immediate credit back to my card. I was not informed the reason why my account had not been credited back in November. On Tuesday, February 3, I went into the Pleasant Hill, CA store closest to my work. The main customer service desk was reluctant to handle my request as "This is a Magnolia service. I might screw it up." So I went back to the Magnolia service counter and requested the refund from a blue-shirted sales associate. He quickly excused himself to talk to his manager close by in my sight. The manager reviewed the receipt and gave direction to the associate who returned back to the counter. "What exactly was the issue with the calibration?" I explained the issue and stated a refund was non-negotiable. The associate replied, "I would be more than happy to help you, but as this item is inventoried, you will have to request the refund from the original place of purchase." I then asked to speak to the manager he had just spoken with. The manager (Magnolia Service Manager) informed me that he would be happy to send an e-mail request to the service manager at the Brentwood, CA store. I asked that my cell phone number and e-mail be put in the request so that I would be contacted with a transaction number and authorization code when the refund was processed. Friday, February 6; I have not received any credit back to my account. I call the Brentwood store and ask to speak to the service manager, Jeff. He is off. I ask to speak to the store manager, Marlon, who is also off. The manager on duty, Devon apologetically handles my request. I ask for the district, regional, and divisional manager's contact information to file a formal complaint at this point. Devon tells me that he cannot give out this information. I ask how the chain of command works for complaint procedures and he tells me to call 1-800-BEST-BUY. Monday, February 9, 2009 and I still have not received a credit back to my account. I call the 800 number and after being on hold for five minutes am railroaded back to Geek Squad Installation Services which by this time will be of absolutely no help to me. After five more minutes, I ask the GS rep to route me back to corporate. After being on hold for another seven minutes, I asked to speak to the highest level available to register my complaint. Okay, now on hold for sixteen minutes, finally Brendon picks up and takes every word of my complaint calmly and professionally. Suspiciously, I ask that a district manager be in contact with me in the next couple of days so I may hear the resolution of this catastrophe of customer service. Once again, I was told that this was not Best Buy's policy but that the district manager and a "group" at the corporate office would definitely be reviewing my complaint. I am definitely sure this will not happen. I am however, definitely sure I will never shop at Best Buy again and will go out of my way to tell my story to everyone who will listen.

Comments

• Jw
      10th of Apr, 2009

I am having same issue, they failed to follow their own policies in shipping, snet my item to an old address not even on my account and then won't issue me credit back and when re-shipped they sent it wrong again. 5 weeks in and no product or money back and they hang up if you get nasty or ask for managment. How do you even gte to a corporate level or file a complaint that will answered, you can't?!?

• At
      9th of Apr, 2014

For issues with your electronic item, contact the manufacturer. It should have a one year manufacturer's warranty. If you paid with Visa or AMEX, then contact them. Your credit card company offers additional warranty to your item by doubling the manufacturer's warranty period.. Also, if anything happens to your item (theft, damage, etc) within the first three months, contact the credit card company and they will replace the item. The additional service plan that Best Buy pushes you to purchase is unnecessary.