Bell Canadatelevision

To whom it may concern,
I am writing to inform you of the recent troubles I have experienced with Bell Canada & the customer service they have provided I purchased Bell Canada’s bundle package in October of 2008. These products included satellite television, with 2 receivers, Internet connection as well as phoneI was a Rogers Canada customer for over 20 years and heard some great things about Bell Canada & the service they provided to their customers, which prompted my switch to their services.

I must say that when the technicians first arrived they were a pleasure to deal with they were very polite & finished the install job efficiently & quickly. The gentleman was more than helpful with setting up my satellite theme packages & internet. My phone was up and running a day or two later as informed. I had a great experience & raved to the Bell technician about the service he had providedOne of the issues we had with Bell was that we were paying for a package that included TSN2, we were paying it for a month or two before we realized that we didn’t have it on the receiver upstairs we called and inquired about it, it took another month or two for Bell Canada to add it to our other receiver.

The major problem we had with Bell was that approximately a month after everything being installed we have had issues with the satellite receivers & over all treatment by Bell Canada & their employees. I had purchased 2 receivers one with PVR & the other was just a regular receiver. I had the receiver for a month before I was able to hook it up. Once I had the receiver installed and running my wife & I noticed the time on the receiver was an hour ahead (which meant that the TV Guide was an hour ahead and the shows that it was saying was on was not and we were not able to see what was on), not thinking it was a big deal, I called the Bell Canada help line and went through the normal procedure of answering security questions and filling in my home number. We were instructed that we were supposed to fix the time. The CSR, after about 10 minutes on the phone with her realized that it wasn’t us that could change it, it was Bell that had to switch the time. She stated that it would be done within 2 hours of us talking to her. The next day it still wasn’t done and we inquired about it again. They again said that they would fix it. Again, they did not. The only reason why our one receiver finally showed the correct time was because of Daylight Savings day when all the clocks were set ahead an hour, which was about a month after we called about it

Approximately a week later while watching television and flipping through channels I noticed approx 15-20 channels were not receiving signal. I quickly ran through all the subscribed channels and discovered over 80% were not receiving a signal. Once again I called Bell’s customer service number and went through the “necessary steps”, which included a 20 minute trouble shooting w/ rep. We called almost every day for a week to let them know that we still did not have the signal. Finally on the Saturday, the person was unable to assist and had set up a field technician to come out to investigate the problem. The customer service representative made the appointment for the following Saturday (March 14). The technician came by after noon (he was late and we had told them that he could not be late as we had somewhere to go) and after ten minutes he stated, the problem with our satellite was do to with our electrical supply to our house. He promptly left stating there was nothing he could do to assist us. We put up with the non working receiver for another couple of weeks and then called in again to make another complaint as we no longer believed that some of the channels were not being received because of the power supply. Once again we were told we had to go through the “necessary steps”, I refused to go through this again and stated to the CSR to send another technician out to repair the problem. After arguing with the CSR for another ten minutes we had the technician come out the next Saturday (April 18), the technician came in and went through the trouble shooting, however this time around I insisted the technician look at the satellite itself or at the very least the connection from the outside of the house to the inside. The technician went and looked at the cable connection to the house, approximately 5 minutes later he returned and checked the satellite signal we were at 100% as always. However this time the technician told us the problem was due to rust on the cable from the outside to the cable in the house. (We have kept the rusted piece of equipment since he left in on our driveway with the rest of his garbage) I inquired if this was the problem for the non signal. The technician stated this was the problem and that we shouldn’t have any other issues with our satellite reception. The technician stayed for a few minutes longer as I went through a few channels on our upstairs receiver. In defense of the technician I had gone through about 30 channels and the signal & pictures was perfect. The technician left and I was satisfied with the result.

Upon retiring to bed that night we wanted to watch some television (NBA Raptors). I had put the receiver onto channel 410 and once again nothing. The receiver was stating “a problem with our connection or the satellite signal was weak.” To say I was livid was an understatement, I contacted the customer service line and reiterated my situation and requested a note be put on the file stating this in the 5/6th time I’ve had to call in for the same problem. After receiving no assistance from the CSR, I was connected to the Manager (March 20th). I was told we would be given a refund on the receiver for $60.00 and was told I would see that on my next billing record. As of May 28, 2009 I had yet to see this refund on my account. After calling in to inquire about the refund on April 26th (1 month later), I was told I would see it on the next month and that it takes a month for it to show on my account. I requested another manager to speak to as the customer service provided by Bell was horrendous. I was told on many occasions that my business was important to them and that I would be taken care of.

I eventually spoke with a Manager by the name of Adrianne Gauthier, after explaining to her what we had gone through over the last 7-8 months, she inquired as to what I was looking for. I explained to the lady that since we had been for 7 months and received no service we should not have to pay for anything but I was wanted to be realistic. I requested we receive a reimbursement for the last 7months on our payments for the 2nd receiver as well as a reimbursement for the cable we had been paying for. I calculated we paid $91/mth for the satellite services plus some extras. I requested reimbursement for 7 months @ $91/mth, totaling $630.00 plus the original $60 for the horrendous customer service

Adrianne Gauthier stated she would have to speak with her supervisor (James Myers Senior Vice-President - Customer Experience). After being told she would contact me with 2 business days, it took Miss Gauthier two weeks to make any sort of contact with me. Miss Gauthier contacted me to tell me she was not going to give me any more of a refund on services not provided of more than $300.00 + $60.00, which was the original offer in March. I told Miss Gauthier I was not satisfied with this and she should be refunding me for the satellite services I was not provided with in the first place. Miss Gauthier than went on to say she would be more than happy to cancel my Services and send me a check for the $360.00

I am not sure if this e-mail will do any good or get back the trust this corporation has lost by my family and I. I know my $200+ payments a month to this global conglomerate are just mere pennies on the grand scale but I was hoping you could justify treating the “little guy” like just that a “Little Guy

Respectfully yours

David Singh

Ds

Comments

• Tj
      Dec 29, 2009

Bell have the one of the worst service in Canada.
    thanks Gog I was trying to switch from Rogers to Bell, but fortunately the technician they did not show up and when I call Bell they tell me to reschedule the installation day after it was second time, when I told them I can not take any more time off from my work to wait for technician another day, they offer to me to cancel all installation with them and actual they was happy to lose customer.
    Can Jim Myers know what is going on with CS? I think this is why Bell Canada going down and loosing customers.

• Mn
      Mar 21, 2010

The above complaints about Bell are so, so true. I've been with Bell forever. I knew Bell when it had a monopoly on the telephone lines. The service was superb. Just superb. Unfortunately, the service has deteriorated so much to the point that it is EXTREMELY frustrating. I've had several problems with them and I can relate to the above experiences and complaints.

My latest battle belongs to my dad. He's 83 years old, his English is limited, so I've taken upon myself to fight this battle for him. Each time I call CSR, I struggle with the "privacy act" excuse. (This is a big excuse used by many companies now a day to avoid dealing with issues.) Each time I call CSR, I have to be with dad, for him to give CSR authorization to speak with me. Well, this was ok the first time, but the problem has not been resolved and every time I call them, I need to have my dad with me. I live in Mississauga and he lives in Toronto. This is one BIG INCONVENIENCE.

I decided to write BELL a letter, on behalf of my dad, explaining the concern. I signed it and my dad signed it as well to authorize me to act on his behalf. But where to send it? CSR would not give me an address. Bell does not seem to have an Ombudsman Office. I googled for an address until I found one. I mailed it there via registered mail.
    Bell Canada
    P.O. Box 9000, Stn. Don Mills
    North York, ON
    M3C 2X7
    This did not work. I waited seven weeks to follow-up. I called CSR and managed not to be"expelled" on the grounds of the privacy act. They had no record, what-so-ever, of the letter I had sent by registered mail. I told CSR that according to Canada Post, it was delivered and signed for. I argued it out. I tried to find out who is the person that signed for it. How can I reach this person? NO LUCK. CSR informed me that my dad must call Bell, himself, or be with me, or email himself or sign a "power of attorney". So, I opted for the power of attorney, which must be faxed or mailed to Montreal. This took place a couple of days ago. We're now waiting for this document.

The problem my dad is having, by the way, is that he was charged for many years (at least since 2002) for "“Wirelesscare” and “WireCare maintenance plan”. I never had these items on my bills, so I questioned them. Both charges are optional, but he was never given the option. I think “Wirelesscare” is if you have mobile/cell service. He never had a cell phone in his life.

One may wonder why these charges went unnoticed for years. This is because when the format of the billing statement changed, back in 2002, to show a breakdown of all the charges, the total amount was the same as before the reformat. Because of my dad’s limited knowledge of the English language, my dad assumed that all was correct. After all, the total amount was the same as before. I cannot help wonder how many more people have and continue to be charged for services they never asked for, such as the above. My goodness. Scary!

As “tj01” says above, can Jim Myers know what is going on with CS? He needs to know how ineffective CS has become. I have now googled Jim Myers and discovered that he is the Senior Vice-President of Customer Service. I found a way to contact him through linkedin (http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/jim-myers/7/504/b53). I’m going to try to contact him this way and make him aware of this complaint board.

Good luck to us all.
    M.N.

• Tf
      Jul 23, 2010

Mr. Myers,

I have enclosed a complaint letter to Bell yesterday for missing a costly scheduled meeting.
    I again relayed that this was ‘time sensitive’ and yet it has been ignored past the time frame involved.
    What’s going on?

Regards,
    Terry F Roberts

Hello Bell,

RE: Account # [protected]
    Customer ID# 16340968ZZZ709.

Your rep, John, scheduled a call to me for 2:00 pm EDT, Noon Calgary Time, and then missed it by over 2 hours, time I booked off at a loss of $50/hr (wholesale not billable). If a change in time was required, communication is all that it would take. Everything should be reasonable, and as such I ask this statement:
    Is this just someone at Bell’s idea of a joke? No company can continually be this unprofessional, to one customer so often, so extreme and so costly.
    Or is this just to see what levels of frustration can be exacted? Really, THIS MANY TIMES?
    Today:
    When I called back at 3: 00 pm MDT, I did so due to noticing that John finally called 20 minutes after I went into a half hour meeting at 2:30 pm, 2.5 hours after our Scheduled meeting. As an Executive Team, is this common? I can help, I have the levels of experience.

I spent 10 minutes trying to explain to the responding rep, my file, hence information on who ‘John’ was information, then another 20 minutes 'on-hold' while the rep attempted to have John call me Back before being told that if I continue to hold the same, John would come on the phone. Obviously this was foolish and costly.

I should be invoicing for $150.00 today as this Unscheduled Cancellation of our missed meeting, without notice, etc., because being so unprofessional that it cost me $$, again because if I am not out working, I’m losing income.

Further to the Issue With John:
    I explained that I require having this completed by Noon Friday July 23rd, as this is the end of my billing cycle with Shaw Cable. At this time today John was going to ensure all my previous programming would be looked after, again all due to I have to provide cancellation notice to SHAW, by Friday July 23rd/2010.
    If this is not completed by noon Calgary time, I will be responsible to pay for another month, of which John should be accountable for.

What is so wrong at Bell that appointments are continually missed? This is what started the loss of customers from Bell in the first place.
    Why is a Communications organization so Bad at Communicating? It’s not like I enjoy this or have the time to waste.
    If it is educational, I have been a national product manager with Xerox, and I have the experience and I be glad to provide this.

Regards,