Belk / belk drops card holders due to zero balance on card & inactivity

I went to belk today to find out that belk closed my charge account. I have been a customer and card holder since 1984 (When it was called leggett's).

It's been a while since I have shopped in belk but I have always been able to go to customer service and they have brought my card and information up to date and kept me as a 1984 card holder. Today, I was informed that I was dropped and could only re-apply new as of 2009 (Not 1984). I have been with the company as a responsible card holder since 1984 and I was treated like a bum that had just walked off of the street.

One of the store clerks told me since ge corp had taken over belk that alot of card holders were being dropped that had a zero balance on their account.

Belk has really gone downhill to allow this to happen to long time customers. This is the worse type of pr for this store.

All anyone needed to do was what they did before with my account, bring it up to date so that I could shop in store with my card. Because I had a zero balance on my card - I was declined on my purchases for inactivity on my card. That's a horrible way to be treated for a responsible customer that pays off her balance.

My "since 1984" belk card is still in my purse but it gives me little comfort now to shop in belk store since they have written me off.

Comments

• Jb
      23rd of Apr, 2009

I work for Belk's. I am a sales associate. I have seen that happen before. The reason that happens is due to inactivity on your account. If you do not have any activity on your card for atleast one year they will close your account. I am kind of glad because people will come in to fill out another application for credit. Sales associates at Belk's must get atleast one credit application for every twenty hours that they work in order to keep their job. Sorry for the aggravation but, this does help the sales associates that work for Belk to keep their jobs if everyone this happens to goes back into the store to open a new account. Also, if you do not want this to happen again, at some point even if you just go in to get a shirt. Put it on your card and then turn around and pay the balance on your card right there at the register. That way, you will have activity on your card and since you pay the balance right then, you won't be charged any interest:)

• Fi
      1st of Jun, 2009

It is so sad that we have to be happy that our customers Belk card was closed due to inactivity and that we will get a charge application out of it.

• Be
      20th of Nov, 2009

It's for security reasons that they close your card. I agree that it should be able be reopened without having to apply and open a new account, but hey you get 15% off everything for reopening it, so sometimes it's not that bad. Just don't go a year or longer w/ out using it. a lot of companies do this now.

• Ro
      9th of Apr, 2010

I'm a belk employee. I am also a cardholder for many stores and I still think it sucks for a cardholder to have their credit score pulled just because they were a good customer and paid their bills. This has happened to me too, at another store. I think they cancel the inactive cards because they are'nt making money off of them. They love to charge interest and late fees. It's not just Belk, It's everywhere.