Banfield, The Pet Hospital (Inside Petsmart) / malpractice

I brought my cat to Banfield, The Pet Hospital, in Burbank, Illinois, on January 4, 2007, because he was ill and in distress. He was diagnosed by Dr. Anupama Muddasani with a urinary tract infection and sent home with antibiotics. His condition continued to worsen and I brought him back to Banfield on January 9th. He was seen by Dr. Jatinder Singh Dhanoa and was again sent home and I was told to continue antibiotics. After his condition worsened even further, in desperation I took him to another animal hospital on January 13th and he was immediately diagnosed with a completely different (neurological) problem, for which he received proper treatment and is now well. All of the information that the second hospital used to make this diagnosis was available to Banfield in their initial test results. I attempted to contact Banfield in person and via telephone, fax and e-mail on 15 occasions regarding a refund and never received a response. I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, which they ignored as well.

My cat was misdiagnosed on two separate occasions, for which I paid a total of $438.45. I paid for a proper diagnosis and treatment of my cat, which I did not receive. Above and beyond economic damage, my cat was suffering from a RUPTURED DISC in his back, not a URINARY TRACT INFECTION and was in excruciating pain for two weeks longer than necessary.

Comments

16th of Apr, 2010

I have been buying products from Petsmart for years and other than the high prices had no complaints. However, recently I acquired a new puppy from a shelter and wanted to have her bathed and clipped. Sadie is a Lasa-Poo and has poodle like fur and she smelled like all animal shelters smell. I called Petsmart grooming salon, made the appointment and was told to be sure to bring her shot record. Having other pets I was well aware that that was a requirement and told her I had all her information. When I arrived, there was one groomer clipping a small dog another was sweeping the floor and a third was signing in a customer. I stood at the counter for several min. w/o being acknowledged. While waiting I watched the groomer still clipping the small dog already tethered and when she was ready to clip the other side the took the front leg and jerked the dog around, never saying a word to it. That was my first clue. The little dog being signed in was shaking and obviously scared but neither the owner or the employee said anything to calm the poor little dog. I leaned over and spoke softly to it and as the owner left he handed the leash to the clerk. The dog was dragged through the grooming area into the back holding room. I thought if she would just pick the poor thing up and speak to it the dog may calm down. It never made a sound other than a whimper. Finally it was my turn and I told the clerk my name and handed her Sadie's shot record and she said she needed the certificate not the record so she could not groom my dog. I went to the store check out clerk and asked to speak to a manager and suggested a call could be made to the Vet to verify the information the phone # was on the folder I gave the goomer. I did have the certificate at home but was told they needed the record. He went into the salon and spoke to the women and when he motioned me back in and was told they would do the grooming. In the meantime the women who had dragged the scared little dog got bitten. I stated that maybe if the animals were not treated so mean they wouldn't bite. Well, the Manager stated "she did not ask to be bitten" but if you have a problem you can leave. I said that is exactly what I am going to do. I was so upset thinking of all the people who leave their pets and do not have any idea what is happing to them. I have never written a message like this before but since I am sure this was not an isolated incident I felt I must.

Angeline Howard, 214-986-4727