Central Veterinary Associates [CVA] Logo

Central Veterinary Associates [CVA]

Having problems with Central Veterinary Associates [CVA]?

1888 428 2738 (Customer Service)
+1 516 466 9191 (Great Neck, NY)
+1 718 224 4451 (Bayside, NY)
+1 718 261 1231 (Forest Hills, NY)
+1 718 327 7878 (Far Rockaway, NY)
+1 516 294 6680 (Mineola, NY)
73 W. Merrick Road

Mineola, NY
220 E Jericho Tpke, Mineola, NY 11501

Complaints & Reviews

unethical behavior - client no. 74666

My boyfriend brought my cat Lily in to the Forest Hills location 10/3/2018. She was lethargic and hiding out...

Veterinary services

I brought my Siberian husky to central vet in 2013 when we had an emergency. He had a seizure and due to it being the first time I had ever experienced it before, I rushed him there in the middle of the night. They insisted on keeping him overnight and running every single test. $2, 000 and a brand new credit card later, I was finally able to take him home. Two months later, same thing, except this time, they had me convinced that he absolutely needed to be on medication. Another $2, 500 later and they started him on phenobarbital. After a couple of weeks of this and doing my own research, I decided to go to another vet. They looked at all his records and asked me why in the world he was on medication? 2 seizures separated by 2 months is not excessive and they were mild. There could also be other factors causing it. But central vet gave me a diagnosis of epilepsy after 2 seizures. How irresponsible is that? We weaned him off all medication at that point and he was completely fine. The bottom line is that central vet will do anything to get your money. I feel like they care, but only to a certain extent. The money is more important than anything else. I learned the hard way.

Veterinary services

• Wine Is Good Jul 08, 2016

Pretty much the way I read this is that money decided whether you believed the first vet or not. When the second gave you an opinion that opposed the first, you automatically believed the second over the first. Why? Because there was $4500 on the line? Or because he told you what you wanted to hear?

What you should do, since you have two conflicting diagnosis (well one since you never said what the second diagnosed) is go to a third vet and get a third opinion.

My sister and my mother's dog both have epilepsy. The cases started out basically the same way. Mild, scattered seizures over weeks and months that progressed into grand mal seizures occurring more frequently. Both, my mother's dog and my sister are both medicated and will be for the rest of their lives. Epilepsy does not just 'go away' and he will not be 'just fine' if he is epileptic.

And while there may be something else going on to cause the seizure, you know more about your dog than any vet who had never seen him before, like vet number one and two. It sounds like you wanted a magic answer. Answers come from tests, and tests cost money.

• Wine Is Good Jul 08, 2016

By the way, what tests did vet number two do to tell you all was well?

Billing

STAY AWAY FROM ALL VETS ASSOCIATED WITH THEM!

They pressure you into leaving your pet for care and medication that you can do yourself at home. Be sure to ask if HOSPITALIZATION is really necessary and how it will benefit your pet verses you caring for him at home. Question the need for the TESTS they will surely say you need. Their bottom line is BILLING! One visit to them and you'll see for yourself. The receptionist kept trying to get me to fill out a Credit Card app at 22% Apr - Does that seem like someone who cares about my pet? NEVER, EVER TAKE THESE PEOPLE WORD FOR ANYTHING. THEY SEEM TO BE TAKING OVER ALL VET OFFICES IN THE 5 TOWNS. HOW DO YOU THINK THEY CAN AFFORD TO AQUIRE THESE NEW LOCATIONS? Because of my experiences with these people, when my pet dies, NO MORE PETS FOR ME and I've had pets all my life!

rude over priced!

HORRIBLE!!

THEY ARE RUDE ! OVER PRICE RIP OFF

THEY DONT CARE ABOUT THE ANIMALS
I DONT GET HOW THEY ARE IN BUSSINESS
NO HEARTS THE STAFF SUCK!!!
FRONT DESK LOOK LIKE ALL THEY DO IS SLEEP ALL DAY
THE DOCTORS ARE YOUNG AND STUPID
THEY DONT KNOW ANYTHING

THEY CHARGE YOU WHEN THEY CANT LOOK AT THE ANIMAL
THIS PLACE SUCKS

DONT BRING YOUR ANIMALS THERE!!

MANY, READ BELOW AND DONT GO

On June 5th, 2011 i took my vey sick and lathargic 3 yr old to this money hungrey sorry excuse for a 24 HR...

Incompetence, Apathy, Greed

I brought my cat in stable condition, with a urinary catheter, and IV in place, to have surgery to alleviate...

LETS YOUR PETS DIE BAD VET DR. CHAROS

Central Veterinary Associates RIP OFF ARTISTS BAD VETS JUST WANT YOUR MONEY AND LET UR PET DIE.? Central...

overpriced, poor care

I was a customer of this animal hospital for over 10 years. I had two cats (mother and daughter) that I would bring there regularly. When I would bring the two of them for an "annual" check up, the cost would be over $500!!! As both cats aged, they developed more health problems. One became asthmatic, and everytime I needed to bring her in, tests and medicine ran into the hundreds.

After she passed away, our other cat became diabetic. We had to put her on insulin shots and there were often emergency trips to Central Vets if her sugar dropped and she became hypoglycemic. We became enraged when the vet on duty refused to even look at her until we gave a deposit. The last visit we made there, they charged us a "deposit" of $600!!! They always kept her a day or two to monitor her sugar, and the bill always came to over a $1000!!!

After the last time, a friend told us about Westbury Emergency Hospital which is open all night on weekdays and all weekend. It is staffed by veterinarians that work at other hospitals. They would give our cat an injection to raise her sugar, and just hold her overnight to observe her. Needless to say, the cost was a fraction of what Central Vets would charge, and she didn't need to be hospitalized for days.

We now have a new vet who is knowledgable and not money hungry like Central Vets. After reading so many complaints about this facility, I know we made the right decision.

• Ad
    A Decent Human Being Sep 30, 2014

Currently looking for another vet. Tired of the manipulation and high-robbery experienced at their offices. STAY AWAY IF POSSIBLE.

• Ad
    A Decent Human Being Sep 30, 2014

I love my pet so much, and this place totally plays on that.

Poor Vet Care

I brought my sisters 2 month old pug puppy here in the summer of 2007, The puppy was running around and got very "disorientated" she couldnt sit straigt or stand up. In a panic i brought her to this Slum Hopital. After the exam i was told by the Vet that she would have to stay overnite.. when we arrived the next day absoultly nothing was done.. but i did walk out of there with a bill in excess of $1100.00 They could not find out what was wrong with the puppy but did give me a detail bill of all of the "procedures" they preformed all of which i was not told of in advance. Called to let them know the puppy was still disorientated. After no help from this place I to ok the puppy to Merrick Animal Hospital and found out that the puppy had was hypoglycemic (from all the running around- her sugar level had dropped) the Vet at Merrick Animal Hospital gave her some type of syrup used for hunting dogs and she has been back to normal ever since. It is now 2009 and no prolblems... Central Vet Hospital you are a bunch of crooks!!!

poor veterinarian services

took my 9 week old min. pin. puppy to this hospital and was shocked by the Outrageous behavior of...