Axia College Of University Of Phoenix / fraud and cheating

Phoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:
4.75
Phone: 866-766-0766

I began going to Axia College of University of Phoenix in late August of this year (2008). I chose an online university because I would be able to essentially go to college with my fiance, whom also started at Axia at the same time. I had already spent two years at a local university in a major I did not continue pursuing; I had high expectations for this university.

My fiance had the first problem that we encountered with the university. He was told he would pay nothing for his education by our enrollment counselor (we had all of the same counselors), because of his financial situation. I questioned this because it sounded extremely fishy to me. I called our financial counselor and asked him time after time to please tell me whether or not my fiance would have to pay ANY money.

Only after I asked him, 'So, will he owe anything after he gets his degree?' did he admit that yes, he would have a six month period in which to pay off the loans. Until this point, our counselors had told us that my fiance would be covered under grants only. (I have never been sure how the financial aid system worked, but I had always heard that students would have to pay off loans after their degree at the very least. I have never used financial aid, so I am not familiar with it.)

My first problem was with an instructor in my first block of classes (a block is made up of two classes for a nine week period; it is comparable to a semester or quarter in other college terms). This instructor graded an assignment I turned in, and in the feedback, she told me that I did not include something within the assignment and that is was a requirement.

I replied to her feedback and asked where I could find this requirement, as I included everything that needed to be in the assignment that was mentioned by the syllabus. She admitted that it did not mention it in the syllabus, but began to question my position as a student because I did not have critical thinking skills. I was confused by this, and replied once again that I thought critically within the assignment, but whether I used critical thinking skills or not, I could not magically know to include this 'requirement' if it was not, indeed, a requirement in the syllabus. This went on and on, and I contacted my academic counselor to ask about the situation. To make a long story short, my counselor could not help me with the problem but told me that if my grade was more seriously affected by this, to let her know.

In the second block of classes, both of my instructors were very late getting back to me or any other students when we left questions or concerns. In one class, my instructor did not answer the questions of four different students (whom all had the same question) until the day after the assignment (that had sparked the question) was due.

In this case, the question was about a program the students had to use to take a math quiz, and I answered these student's questions the night of the assignment because I had used the same program at the other college I had been to. I cannot imagine what these other students would have went through if I would have left it up to the instructor to answer.

In my other class, a more extreme case happened. I left a question about that Sunday's assignment (critical for me to know in order to complete it correctly) on Tuesday. My instructor responded the next day (but over 24 hours later; Axia has a 'requirement' that instructors must respond within 24 hours or until their next office hours), saying that he would 'appreciate it' if I read the syllabus because it can answer many of my questions.

I responded, copying and pasting the syllabi's explanation of the assignment (that did not include the answer to my question), and asking him, 'Did I miss something here? I asked you this question because the answer is not stated in the syllabus.' That post was in the forum less than an hour after his original response.

I posted twice more on Thursday, before this instructor's office hours and after, reminding him that it was over 24 hours and I clearly needed help. I posted three times on Friday after no response, still; twice more to my instructor, and once to the other classmates, asking them if they knew something I did not. I posted again on Saturday, the day before the assignment was due and five days after my original question.

After no response from my instructor, I called him, although he did not have office hours on Saturday. When I told him that I could still not find the answer, he seemed surprised. 'Really? It's not in there?' I said, 'No, and I responded to your post multiple times. I copied and pasted the syllabus so you could see that it is not in there.' He responded, 'Oh, well, I'm very busy with my other job. I work with computers.' I respect that this man has another job, and that he gets paid little to do his at Axia. However, I was paying a lot of money to go there, and expected an education, as they promised.

After all this (I finally received my answer, five days late, over the phone), I asked another question of this instructor. After seven days with no response, I took it to my academic counselor. (I had emailed and called numerous times about this instructor.) Another long story short, she could not do anything more than submit a ticket into Academic Affairs; after no improvement, I researched the Academic Affairs department's phone number (it is not readily available anywhere on Axia's website, and it took me an hour to find it online. If anyone needs the number for whatever reason, the number to Cal Cohn, the current Director of Academic Affairs, is [protected] ext. 34132). Before I called it, I decided to withdraw from the University of Phoenix to end any further problems.

I am aware of everyone having problems with this university. I found their numerous reports on this very site within my first week of going there. However, many problems were with financial aid (which again, I do not receive) or with instructors not replying (which I had not had problems with yet), and I wanted to get this degree so badly that I hoped my experience would be different.

My main problems were with instructors that should not be instructors, period. I had one satisfactory instructor out of four; although this is not a long grace period for me to base this on, I think three less than satisfactory instructors out of four is enough to prove to me that I am not getting what I pay for here.

Thanks to another person's [redacted] on this site, I found the Official Withdrawal Form that I have already printed off tonight and am going to fax to my financial counselor tomorrow. The web address for this is axiafaw.phoenix.edu, and you must sign in (it is the financial aid website, so if you do not have financial aid, you have to register just for the site, as I found out tonight) and find the form.

Print it out, fill it out, and then send it to your financial counselor. I would highly recommend reading your state's official refund rules in the Academic Catalog. There is a refund called a pro rata refund that a student is eligible for if 60% or less of a course is completed.

I am sorry for the long report, but I want everyone to know, who reads this, that I am just another person whom is extremely dissatisfied with Axia's ability to exist.
Va

Comments

Pu
  2nd of Jan, 2009
Specific link for withdrawl form. It took me awhile to find it.
I'm in the process of withdrawing myself, after everything I've read on it.
Hopefully I won't take too much of a financial bite in the a$$ for it.

Al
  4th of Mar, 2009
they don't answer my calls long story short... i owe money and i can't get back in school and i am stcuk with 27 credits with axia college and can't get anywhere
To
  24th of Mar, 2009
This is what they want because they have received their money already and we are just making these post without really looking into our options. I have and would suggest that you contact the better business about this situation. Yes, these things take time but, you will see the benefit's later on. I am also contacting the Attorney Generals office about them and I will do this every day until I receive some satisfaction. I have sent this email to the FBI so that they can also investigate this college/university. Listen there is nothing more time consuming than running around behind these people who lye and deceive us but, if we do not start a class action suit against them then how will you get your money back? Why should you pay for something that was part of a contract that they did not fulfil for you? How can you change this if you don't step up and stop these criminals from stealing your education from you along with your money? We have to make sure that this does not continue to happen to other student's.
Bu
  27th of Mar, 2009
I had the same problem with axia. I got money from the goverment and they got checks from me and I withdrew and started attending my local tech school and now I cant get my transcript cause Axia is saying I owe them all kinds of money which making it hard for me to get anything to further my education. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL anyone planning on attending.
Mary
Bu
  27th of Mar, 2009
I am in the process of contacting the Attorney General OFfice right now and I aggree all of us that have problems needs to step up to the plate and take action against this school. If there other that have had problems and want to email me feel free. leave note on the site and find away to get ahold of your directly.
Po
  7th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
They told me that I was to get grants for the whole schooling and they lied and I got my finicial aid the other day and there are loans on it and my husband was upset terriblely and i called the school the next day and she told me that what do you except to go to school without paying anything i said yes. Because that is what they told me so I'am withdrawning from the school and they told me that i have to pay for what i was in and they told me when i signed up that i didn't have tp pay anything? What _ _ _ _ am I paying i would like to know if anybody knows please respond and tell me.
  18th of May, 2009
I wanted to take a moment to let others know about "University of Phoenix"They are a rip off and I'm not just saying that. They ripped my daughter off and they almost got me.

I have been doing some research; checked out [redacted]

and

Complaints Board at [redacted]

There are so many complaints, even by the ex-employees. Now I'm sure that there are many students or ex-students that are doing or did just fine with them, or didn't pay attention to their scam, but there millions of others that did get ripped off, including my 22yr old, single mother, Daughter.

She was told by the enrollment adviser, that the paper work he walked her through was all formality; even when they go to the "loan" part. She told him, she did not want a loan and if she had to get a loan, she didn't want to pursue with them, He continued to tell her, to not worry about it, it's only if she decided to get a loan. He "assured" her is was not a loan...So "SHE SIGNED"

She would get statements in the mail from Wachovia about a loan, she supposedly had with them. She then called her counselor, who again assured her it was nothing, she did not have a loan, she has a FREE Grant and told her also that she was basically being paid to go to school when she received a check in the mail from UOP, that it was just extra money to pay for any school necessities.

So now, almost 2yrs and just 6months before she graduates, she gets a call from the financing dept about her "LOAN" that she's NOT suppose to have.

We have been calling and leaving messages and no one helps. They keep telling her "Well you signed" OMG! I want to F...ing go beat the living H...LL out of them.

So my daughter has an appointment with JAG, since she is still a dependent, and see what she can do with all this.

This whole thing is a mess. They seem to do it so that they can cover their patoots legally.
Here is what an ex-employee posted: [redacted]

These people need to be stopped, so if there is anyone else that this specific situation has happened to them, please contact me; as I want to get a class action suit going, if I can. This can't keep happening to people who are just trying to better their career, make a good life for themselves.

Li
  20th of Mar, 2017
@armywife65 The exact same thing happened to me!! I was 24-25 single mom, injured from working so I figured it was the perfect time to get back into school and be able to raise my son at home. I didn't finally get back to work until 2008-2009. I started axia in the beginning of 2005. I had several issue's with them through the end. I needed a temporary medical leave to have my surgery done from the work injury beginning of 2006. They said they never got mine or my doctors paperwork! Bs!! Well then I was charged all these extras fees for failing classes that I shouldn't have been enrolled in. I couldn't take my credits either. Not to mention that when I enrolled it was for criminal justice and they don't have an actual accredited program. I keep seeing horror stories but the fact is they're still screwing me, taking our tax return etc they've ruined my credit and my life! I'm nearly 38 now, still no degree and in student loan debt remaining around $28, 000 that's what's left after the nearly $10, 000 they've already taken from me! I don't know where to start or what to do but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to stop them from doing to more people than they already have!!
Ca
  22nd of May, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am currently attending Axia college online and I have not had problems with instructors at all, but I am having problems getting my left over financial aid. It has been posted to my account for quite some time and they can't seem to send the left over to me.

Can anyone tell me what to do about this?
Ev
  26th of May, 2009
Cameron1999,

You need to start harrassing your financial aid counselor because the same thing happened to me but thank GOD my financial counselor helped me get through it
An
  1st of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
stay away from axia!!! The employees there are money hungry. The instructors don't even check your work, all they do is submit it to the plagiarism checker.
St
  5th of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX ROCKS!!! I love...love...love! Axia college. I've had issues with instructors, but I've had issues with instructors from my former college as well. It's because you have individuals (people who differ from one another) teaching. Some good, some bad. The curriculuum at Axia is really teaching me a lot and the instructors have been extremely responsive! It's actually more challenging than I thought it would be and I am enjoying the learning experience!
Nj
  10th of Jun, 2009
So because you and your fiance were dumb dumb's you are stating that Axia is bad? The other point that you mention is that you were failing. You state that you messed up in your assignment and your counselor told you that your grade was seriously hurt by this. To me that is the biggest point here to disprove you. You need atleast 700 out of 1000 points to pass a mod. Which means you must have done miserable in other assignments for your grade to be in jeopardy. So dont sit here and blame this sole assignment. You obviously were not cut out for online education and I wish you and other dopes that couldnt pass would stop knocking this school.

The other thing I wish this school would have is a admission requirement so that way idiots like you all wouldnt get in. But they are a for profit school so they let you ###s in.
  15th of Jun, 2009
@ nj593---lol...Yeah your right they should have an admissions requirement, especially for ###ING IDIOTS like YOU...
AXIA/UOP and what ever else name they go by; They are not worthy of teaching anyone.

They are a for profit school and they could give a ### about people, all they care about is $$ money
Uo
  26th of Jun, 2009
AXIA (the associate program) and UOP (undergraduate and graduate programs) are great! I am in UOP Masters and my husband is in AXIA, and the normal problems come up, just like in any university. I really wish the school would screen students better, however, so stupid, lazy, and unreasonable people like you bunch of whiners would never get into the school in the first place. Anyone who thinks they can get a totally free education has a sense of entitlement and is clearly not very bright. If you hate the school so much, then don't attend, but don't tear down a good school because you did not have what it takes to succeed in college.
  26th of Jun, 2009
Ok for the ppl complaining about the loans you should have seriously read first thats your fault and what any lawyer will tell you...to the lady with the single 22 yr old daughter... I hate to say this because she is a single mom I have no pitty...She like me choose to spread her legs and choose to be single like i did when I had my first 2... She signed the damn loan her fault, they did explain it to her, no i dont work for them, but I was talking to my advisor about the post and he pointed out some good points. 1. read everything and I can tell you when you guys go to sue them they do have every phone call recorded.. Army for real welcome to the real world... If I can work full time, take care of three kids, go to school, and pay my mortage, lights, food, water, phone bills she can to... I am over hearing my single daughter that is a mother... I can tell you guys when a student loan is applied for you are taken to a screen for your choice of banks. YOU CHOOSE, if she is that dumb and can't read she shouldnt be in school.
  26th of Jun, 2009
@Brittney, Dakota, and Maddies Mommy- Ok ###!
I said single, because she's not married to her fiance. That's sad, that you said you "chose" to spread your legs, and ain't no way you "chose" to be a single mom, I can bank of that!. And, to boot, you kept on spreading them. 3 kids by 3 different fathers, I presume.

Yes she did sign; your not the only one that has said this. But, this is where they got her and several others. They go over the paper work and tell you to electronically sign. If you ask about the loan part, they tell you, "oh, you don't have a loan, it's just formality" "for in case you do want a loan." So, she put her trust in these people that are suppose to be helping her. She asked them repeatedly, "is this a loan? because I don't want a loan" THEY TOLD HER "NO"

And how the hell do you know he explained it to her? Were sitting right there with her? Did you have the same enrollment counselor?

BTW--I was a single mom of 2, long before you were a single mom of 3.
No wonder you couldn't keep your men, your ###! and you deserve to be alone. I hope your kids don't grow up to be a dumb ###, ### like you!
  27th of Jun, 2009
=] I am married now... Well that doesn't mean she is single then... Geez lady u r talking about sueing well hell first you need to know the fact's... U dumb ### if you read my other post my son's father got killed... and don't even go there ...oh honey ive been married for 6 yrs =] he is happy with me... who cares if u are a single mom ost 60% females are and were
  27th of Jun, 2009
lol...see, there you go again, NOT READING! I said "WAS" a single mom. And, NO, I did not read any of your stupid ###, low class post, excpet for the one you started in on me. If you would not have been such a ###, I would not have been back at you.
I don't care if you have been married for 6yrs or 100yrs. And, I don't care if he's happy with you or not. And who cares if YOU were a single mom, I don't.

You are NOTHING to me and I'm done with you. I have much better things to do than spend my time ### back and forward with you. You are waste of my time, that I have spent way too much on already.
Have fun, Fat ### ###!
  29th of Jun, 2009
=] ok once more 6'0 151 is fat??? lol i am way to big but 4 pounds under weight... yea i agree ... i got my point out to u so yea really dont have time to fight... =] have a nice day
St
  14th of Jul, 2009
Well...I guess this about sums it up for the year! lol!

What I gather from all of this is "AXIA ROCKS!!!" and when you are sent to the Financial Aid page (as we all are) if you DON'T want a loan...DON'T choose one.

University of Phoenix [UOPX] Logo University of Phoenix [UOPX]