Avisno cars and the offices close without warning

In February of 2016, I planned a trip with my 85 year old father in law to Italy. I went to great lengths to make sure the trip did not exhaust him. I made a reservation to pick up an Avis car on the 28th of July at edge of Venus, a place we could reach by water taxi.

I showed up in a pouring rain on the 28th of July and the man in the Avis said, "the office is closed, you will have to another office to get the car" and shrugged his shoulders. (I have pictures.) He offered to give us a ride to the other office, but only for 1 of us, he didn't have room of the rest. There was another family there in the same boat and they were fuming.

The had my wizard number, they inundate me with emails, they had my cell phone numbers, they had my reservations weeks in advance but somehow it never occurred to anyone to tell me that the office would be closed when I got there. Basically sold me something they didn't have.

To add insult to injury, they billed me for some sort of traffic violations and added $50 per incident as a "handling charge". I have no idea what they are talking about and I am not going to spend time fighting with them. But after many years as an Avis customer, I will never use them again.

I just got back from Portugal and the best thing about it was I didn't rent form Avis. I think they took their customer focus from the airlines but at least car rentals are not a publicly supported monopoly and we don't have to put up with these people.

Avis