AT&T U - Versecan't convert dsl to u-verse w/o loss of service

God help you if you have Earthlink DSL and try to convert to ATT Uverse.

They told me I have to terminate the Earthlink DSL, but they can convert me to ATT DSL until the Uverse gets installed. They told me I can't schedule the Uverse installation until the Earthlink DSL has been terminated.

So they terminated the Earthlink DSL within one day, and they are supposed to give me ATT DSL now, right? We've been on the phone for almost 2 1/2 hours this morning talking to 6-8 people, got hung up on twice, transferred and dropped a few times, and we've heard a whole bunch of "I can't help you." The last person explained that their system won't let them do anything until the Earthlink DSL is out of their system which will take about 10 days! She said she tried to delete out all the codes manually.

Well, they terminated the Earthlink DSL within one day, but now the story is that we will be completely out of internet connectivity until the Uverse gets installed at some ??? date - we can't even find out when that is. They can't tell me an installation date until they call me back, which is promised sometime within the next 24 hours.

I use internet connectivity for professional purposes (I work from home) and job search - what do you think my professional contacts will think hearing that I have no connectivity because my internet is down for an unknown period of time? They will probably think (1) we didn't prevent this disaster ahead of time and (2) they won't be looking to switch service from DSL to ATT Uverse any time soon.

As a 25 year computer programming veteran, I can tell you that the telephone company computer systems are not designed to service customer needs - they are designed to very efficiently bill huge numbers of customer accounts at the cheapest cost using batch processing. Because of the batch processing, customer needs, like converting from one service to another, cannot be handled efficiently, billing adjustments get hung up in the once-per-month billing cycle, and late fees and penalties are probably calculated before adjustments are applied or lost in the process. (I experienced this with AT&T cell phone services 10 years ago, and in my experience, it hasn't changed a bit.) Computers that will handle customer needs better and function more accurately are very expensive, which would take money out of the C-level and shareholder pockets.

I will update when I get more information.

Lp

Comments

• Lh
      Jan 09, 2014

I am also going through this experience. It is unpleasant and not very customer friendly, but is not as critical for me as I use my mobile hotspot via my wireless company which will work in the short term. Since AT&T actually owns my residential ADSL line and only leases it to Earthlink, I have no idea why they have such trouble with this.