ATT U-Verse / misleading advertising

1 Alpharetta, GA, United States

I finally caved in and decided to switch from DISH to ATT Uverse because of the $200 promotions, ability to "record 4 programs" at once and have them play anywhere from a single DVR versus my current DISH setup using 2 HD DVR's.

When completing the install yesterday the technician informed me that because of distance we are from the DSLAM, (over 4500 feet) they had to lower the IP speed from the street to the house from 25mbs to 18mbs. Consequently, we can only watch a SINGLE HD station at a time and can NEVER record more than 1 HD program at a time and that the maximum number of programs we can record simultaneously is 3(all SD) rather than the advertised capability to record 4.

I immediately told him that this was a showstopper, and that was less capability we had with our existing DISH setup. He acted as if I should have been informed by the sales reps at the ATT store where I signed up the day before, or at minimum by the other technician that was at the house previously preparing the switch at the street.

Essentially, ATT is using bait & swithc tactics to entice people like myself to swith with promotional offers, etc...however the system does not even perform as advertised, nor where there any warnings that we would have fewer than advertised capabilities.

I have already called to cancel and plan to have my DISH service resumed.

Jo