Att - Htc InspirePhone Drops Calls

D Review updated:

I bought the HTC Inspire 4g phone in April. I've had problems getting a good signal at my house since the beginning and it has gotten progressively worse. Now I keep getting voicemails indicating I missed a call when the phone doesn't even ring. It not only happens at home it happens everywhere. While at the office, while out showing property, etc... My old Samsung Rugby used to get signal constantly and this new phone can't seem to keep me connected on voice calls.

I've called customer service several times it's been ongoing for weeks. I have rebooted, removed battery, SIM card, etc.. and it's always the same trouble shooting process and none of it has worked. They even sent me a new SIM card because I had a 2008 model. I get a call today asking if the phone was working properly and I told them no. They said well you may need a replacement phone and they proceeded to transfer me to the warranty department who then told me I did not qualify since calls being dropped is normal. Normal? Having most of my calls go straight to voice mail or dropped is normal?

Her supervisor came on the phone and attempted to help. He then discovered that the area we live in has a weak 3g signal. He told me that the Rugby was working on a 2g signal which is strong in our area. My question is, if they know that our area has a weak signal and that particular phone will not pick up the strong 2g signal then why did they sell us that phone? How are we as consumers supposed to know that a phone will not work in our area?

When the supervisor contacted HTC to see if there was a way for us to change the setting on the phone so that it works on 2g, HTC told them there wasn't a way to change the setting.

I want a refund for the phone and I want them to revert me back to my old plan. (No data plan) Apparently they can't do that since the 30 days have passed and they are not able to make any refunds at this time. Well, am I supposed to keep a phone that was never meant to work in my area? Am I supposed to keep paying for a data plan that I will not ever use since I'm going to have to go back to using my old Samsung Rugby?

I plan to write letters, file complaints and even take them to court if they do not fix this situation. This is completely unacceptable!

Comments

• S
      Jul 14, 2011

I have never had so many dropped calls. People keep telling me you have to get a different phone. I just purchase the HTC Inspire last month. Signed ~ Frustrated

• M
      Jul 22, 2011

Hey, If HTC told AT&T that there was no way to switch from 3g to 2g they are full of crap and so is AT&T. I have the same problem with the Inspire but luckily for me, i bought it less then 30 days ago so I can still take it back. Which I'm gonna do because even switching to 2g didnt help. Still get crappy signal.
    Here's how to switch to 2g:
    From phone (as if you were gonna dial a #) type in *#*#4636#*#* click phone information scroll all the way to the bottom to set preferred network type make sure it set to GSM only.
    WCDMA preferred - The GSM phone is capable of using both 2G and 3G data communication and when signal strength is low 3G is favored more.
    GSM only - The GSM phone is capable of using only 2G data communication. When the 2G signal is too low you get nothing at all.
    WCDMA only - The GSM phone is capable of using only 3G data communication. When the 3G signal is too low you get nothing at all.
    GSM auto (PRL) - The GSM phone is capable of using both 2G and 3G data communication and when signal strength is low 2G is favored more.

CDMA auto (PRL) - The CDMA phone is capable of using both 2G and 3G data communication and when signal strength is low 2G is favored more.
    CDMA only - The CDMA phone is capable of using only 2G data communication. When the 2G signal is too low you get nothing at all.
    EvDo only - The CDMA phone is capable of using only 3G data communication. When the 3G signal is too low you get nothing at all.
    GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) - Some phones are equipped with both GSM and CDMA capabilities. This setting appears to just have the phone attempt to stay connected to the data communication type that works the best.

Unknown - If none of the above fit or the phone is acting weird as far as connecting to the carrier, you will see your preferred network type is set to this

• E
      Aug 04, 2011

I think it is less a product problem and much, much more a carrier problem. While AT&T coverage areas seem better, or more of them, they do little to nothing about their infrastructure. I can't complain about coverage, because I live in a decent area so no problems. However, I can complain about their unwillingness to fix their infrastructure. They are all about charging up the as s for services, but rarely do they actually permanently fix an infrastructure issue. If they do fix it, it takes forever.

• V
      Aug 21, 2011

I have same issue. I think this is HTC problem. They have poor quality antenna as my call does not drop on other devices. I have it for more than 30 days and I cannot change it. Sad but true. Go for verizon. They have 60 days return policy! Once my contract period will be over, I will switch to verizon.

• P
      Oct 12, 2011

Yes it is totally unacceptable my son has an HTC Inspire and it is a faulty unit shuts off locks up and even with a replacement it does the same frickin thing. They need to take this phone off the market. Why pay for something that doesn't work

• L
      May 14, 2012

This HTC has dropped calls, shut off, wigged out and its brand new. Maybe if they were forcing people to kill themselves making a product that's garbage then they would have a quality product. Everyone is out to rip off the public cause hey, everything is replaceable. I really think you people who run companies suck!

• K
      Aug 05, 2012

I'm experiencing the same. I have had this phone since October, but have only recently been having the problems.

Phone locks and I hve to remove the battery to reboot SEVERAL times a day. Terrible connectivity with our cable wi-fi, when all of our other devices are fine. Dropped calls and app malfunction. SO over it.

• B
      Oct 10, 2012

My HTC just freezing up and turning off by it self they said my upgrade will be in July 2013 but i need my doctors call me and i need it like emergency. They said they will give me the same phone for free i don't won't to get the same phone because it might mess up 2 and they said i have to pay $207.00 for a IPhone my cousin she had the same HTC phone it mess up the same phone.