AT&T DSL Equipment Rebate / rebate offer is a rip off!

AT&T High Speed DSL Equipment Rebate SCAM - Holland, Mich. Back in February 2007, I signed up for AT&T's High Speed DSL in answer to a promotion you were running. The deal was that you paid up front for the equipment and you would receive a rebate in the form of a $50 cash card or checking 10 to 12 weeks. You're supposed to be able to check the status of your rebate online. I mailed in the necessary rebate information immediately upon receipt of the equipment, Approx. Feb 21, 2007. On April 16th, 2007, I went to check the status of the rebate online, (www.attequipmentrebate.com), and it showed no record of my rebate application. I called the number posted on the rebate website, [protected]), and spoke with "Brook". She stated that my rebate postcard had been received by AT&T but had not yet been processed. She then told me that she would "petition" AT&T to get the processing underway so that they, the rebate center, could get the check sent out within the next one to two weeks. It is now June 6, 2007. I went online AGAIN to check my rebate status and there was STILL no record of my rebate. I called the rebate center AGAIN and this time spoke with "Angie" who told me that there was no record of my previous call to Brook but that my rebate postcard had been processed "today" and that they, the rebate center should have an answer in 1-2 weeks. "An answer to WHAT?" I asked. "I'm not asking them to approve anything". At this point i asked to speak with her supervisor and was told that the supervisor didn't take calls but that I could be put on a "supervisor call back list". I asked when he might be calling, fully expecting her to say, "In one to two weeks". To my surprise, her answer was, "Within 24 to 72 hours". Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath waiting for this person to contact me. After all, By AT&T calendars, one to two weeks equals 1-1/2 months and 10 to 12 weeks is quickly approaching the 4 month mark They promised a rebate in 10-12 weeks and I expect them to honor that agreement." She then changed her answer and told me it had been processed the day before. She actually forgot her lie within a span of about a minute. I didn't ask for a line of BS when I called your alleged "Rebate Customer Service" department. I just want you to do what was promised in your promotion. I'm no further now than I was a month and a half ago. The two weeks promised by "Brook" has turned into a month and a half. As if that's not bad enough, "Angie" told me it would be yet another two weeks before I could even find out WHEN my rebate would be sent out. Just a hunch, but I'm guessing that I'll be told my check will be sent out in... ready, Let's all say it together, "ONE TO TWO WEEKS". If I didn't know better, I'd say that your entire customer service plan is that no matter what the issue, just tell the customer it will be resolved in "one to two weeks" and hopefully the customer will forget about it or just give up.

I decided that talking to your drones at the rebate center was getting me nowhere so I decided to contact another AT&T Customer service department. This was yet another disappointing experience to say the least. This time I spoke with "Natalie" who told me that she could do absolutely nothing about it because it was a Rebate Department issue and she knew nothing about the policies or practices of the Rebate department. It soon became evident that she knew nothing about customer service period. I then asked who I could talk to to file a complaint about the practices of the Rebate department and she told me to talk to the Rebate department manager. When I told her that it made no sense to complain to the very people I was complaining about, I was told by "Natalie" that the nine minutes I had spent talking to her could have been better spent waiting for my "supervisor call back". In other words, "quit wasting my time because I'm not going to do anything or suggest anything or direct you to anyone that can help you in resolving this issue." She then had the nerve to ask if there was anything else she could "Help" me with. Totally disgusted with the entire AT&T Customer Service experience, I hung up.

Fifty dollars is nothing to a billion dollar company like AT&T, but I would guess that if this is happening to me, there are probably thousands of others out there having the same experience that are just as frustrated as I am and that would love to see this issue brought to light. I can see the headlines already, "AT&T Equipment Rebate "Scam" investigation". You might even make it onto 20/20. I know the local TV stations in Grand Rapids love doing pieces on huge corporations that are caught ripping off consumers.

Just so you know that I'm not alone in this complaint, I've included a couple of the other letters from your "customers" that I've found online which, interestingly enough, describe unusually similar experiences with you and your rebate promotion.
Incidentally, I just checked the status of my rebate claim one more time and here's the standard message that pops up...

"We're sorry, but we were unable to find any rebate claims matching the information you provided. Please make sure the information you supplied is correct and try again. Note: It takes approximately 10-12 weeks to process your claim. If you were unable to find your rebate claim status and you submitted your rebate form more than 4 weeks ago, please call [protected].

Thank you for choosing AT&T Yahoo! HSI Service!"

WHAT HAS TO HAPPEN FOR ME TO GET MY REBATE??? And please don't tell me it'll be sent out in (one more time) "one to two weeks".

Joseph C.
Holland, Mich 49423

From: Carolyn
Date: Wednesday, 15-Nov-06 08:57:30 CST

Beware when it comes to ordering a DSL service kit from AT&T/SBC. They promise you everything. The rebates and gift cards and all kinds of good stuff. However, collecting what they promise can be frustrating . I can testify to that! I signed up for the DSL promotion in June 2006, I promptly received the installation kit in the mail. I installed it... no problem there... everything is working fine. But where is my $50.00 cash rebate? It's now November 2006, and longer that 10-12 weeks. I've had to argue for every little thing. First the $50.00 visa gift card, I finally got that this week, but I've still not received my $50.00 cash rebate. I've called and spent a total of about 6 hours on the phone at different times talking to customer service people. I finally got the gift card. But still no $50.00 rebate. I contacted my local Public Utility Commission and they said they would check into it , but DSL lines is not something they current regulate, although they get plenty of complaints about them. I've also sent a letter to the AT&T chairman, Mr. Edward Whitacre, Jr., but I probably won't get an answer from him either. I was also referred to the FCC to file a complaint. I've never spent so much time trying to get what AT&T/SBC promised me. $50.00 is not a lot of money to a "BILLION DOLLAR" company. I've been a customer of theirs for over 40 years. I've always paid my bills on time. Why can't someone just follow through. You should here the stupid evasions answers I get when I ask about where is my rebate.

From: Robert
Date: Friday, 01-Dec-06 18:21:38 CST

AT&T (SBC Yahoo DSL)

I activated phone service and high speed internet service on January 4, 2006 and was promised a $50.00 rebate. I mailed my rebate activation sticker on 1/26/2006 and have not received my rebate, yet. I have spoken with AT&T representatives at least 4 times during the past year. I spoke with Merrill on 6/2/06 & was given case #92230, I spoke with an unknown representative on 10/10/06 and was told she was activating another case, but it would not have a case number & that she was forwarding this to her supervisor - she told me that if I called again just mention the word ESCALATION. I called on 11/4/06 and spoke with Bertha who could not find any notes from the unknown representative. I uttered the word ESCALATION and Bertha did know what that meant, but she said ESCALATION had not been done previously. Bertha promised she would ESCALATE this for me. I called on 12/1/06 and spoke with Crystal, she was shocked that a second case was not given a number, she did see the notes taken from Bertha and assured me my claim had been escalated, but she advised me to call back in a couple of weeks because the escalation department is a bunch of slackers and probably had not done mine yet. She said if she did another escalation that would mean I would go back to the end of the line and have to start over again. Crystal told me I might want to call billing and maybe they would give me a credit. I told Crystal that if I had to tell my story again I would just as soon tell it to https://www.complaintsboard.com.

Please let others know what a crook these people are. Thank you, Debra
Barber, Escalated Consumer.

Jo

Comments

• Bp
      22nd of Jun, 2007

I signed up for DSL in July 2007, and I'm still waiting for my $49.99 rebate. I've already spoken with 4 representatives, who all assured me that I will receive it in 10-12 weeks.

I guess this is part of their tactic or they are completely incompetent. Anyway, my patience is gone, so yesterday I filed a complaint with Better Business Bureau (www.bbb.org) and with the Federal Trade Commission, https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01
    I recommend you do the same, if you want to get your money back.

Good luck,
    BP.

• Bp
      22nd of Jun, 2007

Sorry, I actually signed up in July 2006.

• De
      25th of Jun, 2007
    AT&T Equipment Rebate - Can't get a rebate!

I have been calling them for at least 4 month for my rebate. Every time i call they tell me it will be mail to you in two to three weeks. I have been with this company every since they were millions bell. This is the way they treat there long time customer.

27th of Jun, 2007
    At&t Dsl Equipment Rebate - Rebate problems

I have a similar experience to others regarding the ATT rebate program and line. I sent my rebate in on 2/7/07. I checked up on 3-31-07 at attequipmebtrebate.com for the status (to be sure my form was received). The System could not find my status but provided a number to call. I called the 800-228-5015 number to obtain the status. A polite person checked my rebate and said she could see the paperwork had been received but "for some reason it hasn't been processed. It should have been, and I'll have it escalate this" She did, and offered me a confirmation number. Its a good thing she did, because it wasn't visible on 3/21 when I called until I offered the conf. number...upon which I found the status hadn't changed. It was still waiting for AT&T... This is escalated status? The gent had no explanation and said it should be resolved shortly. "But what if it isn't" I asked. He said to wait about 4-6 weeks.
    I did call back about 6 weeks later, and found the status still hadn't changed!!! They couldn't explain why, but... be sure to check back and ATT would get back to them any time. May I speak to a manager? "There's none here tonight".
    I resolved that if I did not have my check by the next call I would request help from the Atty General and my own attorney.

Tonight (6-27) I checked the web again, still found no record of my claim, but when I called...I was informed that my check had been mailed on 5-24-07. After confirming the envelope would have the ATT logo on it and confirming my address I was told that "the check would be reissued". How long will it take? I asked "4 to 6 weeks" he said. "Will it be here by then"? "Yes". But what if it isn't? I replied... then call us back. Is your manager there tonight?... No but there will be one here tomorrow? Thanks, I said... nothing personal, but the next call will be to my attorney. Please make a record of that for me.

...be careful with ATT. Their third party phone center has very limited authority, and the bumbling that results in the same behaviors as real scam-sters.

• La
      11th of Jul, 2007

Mine pretty much mirrors the foregoing complaints; signed up in Feb '07, filed rebate within 3 days but have, as yet, NOT received the elusive rebate. After 5 contacts spread out over this intervening period, I was finally told today that "the check is in the mail", BUT that if it's not received within the next 5 days, that ATT Yahoo will be happy to cancel that check and reissue a replacement. Of course, I must understand, the replacement will take 3 weeks to process.

I do understand that this is all proceeding in accordance with an ATT 'Pay As Few Rebate Claims As Possible Plan', based upon actuarial studies and tables complied by behavior specialist indicating how many of us would not claim the rebate initially, how many would forget that the rebate had been filed, how many would give up after the first call, the second call, the third call, etc., etc. They probably have an amazingly accurate estimate of what percentage, out to 6 decimal points, of claims they will ultimately pay, expressed as the number of us who will not give up, no matter how many calls it takes.

One final point, if I might be so indulged; this "Plan" egregious though it may be, is probably not illegal. They, after all, have only said that they would pay a rebate, without specification as to how long it would take to pay it or to what we would have to go through to finally be paid. Filing the Rebate Claim was obviously only the first step, of what appears to be many, required to receive the rebate. Hang in there: while it's only $50 to you and to me, it represents, in total, tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to ATT. I intend that my $50 will end up in MY pocket, not theirs.

• Te
      13th of Jul, 2007

If you have read the letters about the ATT (so called)rebate ,this boat seems to be full! We've all going down. My story is so close, I can't believe it. Except I was told the check looks like junk mail, and I must have thrown it out! I was told they would issue check again (six weeks ago). Maybe what we all need to do is tell ATT we want off, don't know about the rest of you, but I'm swimming for shore.

• Te
      24th of Jul, 2007

I too am struggling to actually get my $49.99 ATT DSL equipment rebate. I also signed up in March, immediately sent in my rebate form via USPS tracked Priority Mail ( so I KNOW it was delivered two days later), then after a two month wait ,was told your "check is in the mail" as of MAY 29th. Needless to say, no check. Called again in June and -- after waiting the 10 business days (another stall tactic, and more -- implied -- blame on the USPS) request that another check be cut. Wait again. Call again. This time, check "was sent out July 2nd -- it's on its way". Today is July 24th. On hold right now trying to get through to one of the totally useless rebate "assistance" reps. THIS TIME I WILL NOT GET OFF THE LINE UNTIL I GET A $49.99 **credit** ON MY BILL.

Sc**w the rebate --there is NO such thing. Sorry about the language.

Ted.

• Sh
      25th of Jul, 2007
    At&t Dsl Equipment Rebate - Poor service!

I signed up for AT&T high speed DSL in September 2006. I mailed them the rebate form in September 2006 and I did not hear anything from them. On May 10, I called the toll free number 1-800-228-5015. They told me that my rebate form was not received, it was expired, and I should fax them a copy to 1-800-554-8281. I faxed the copy to such number at 14:30 on 5/10/07. Again, I heard no answer from them. One month later, on 6/13/07, I called the 5015 number and asked if they received my fax. This time, a girl name “Meily” answered my call. She told me that there was no record of my fax and I should fax it again. She gave me the case number 200679 and told me to put her name and case number on top of my fax. I faxed the copy twice on that day and called back. She told me that they cannot go to the fax machine, and I should call back with her the next couple days to check if they received the fax. On 6/15/07, I talked to her again and she said there is no record of my fax. She told me to fax it again and this time she would talk to the supervisor and make sure to mail me the check within the week. Another month went by, she left a message in my phone saying: “the fax did not match the rebate”. When I called back on 7/10/07, I could never find her again. This time was “Katelin” answer my phone and told me that there was no record of my fax in the computer. I complained that this was a trick, that they intentional destroyed the mails and fax of the rebate form, and that was there anybody actually getting the rebate? I asked to talk to the supervisor and she told me that the supervisor would call me back within 48 hours. On 7/11/07, I called that number again. This time “Chris” answered the phone and told me that I had to fax them the copy of the “postmarked” rebate card. How do you get a copy of postmarked rebate card? Oh, he said, you make the copy at the post office.

I determined that this whole rebate thing was a scam. I searched the Internet for complains and found that many people had the same experience as me. The excuses the representatives in the rebate center used to cheat consumers are similar. I suspect that there are people in that rebate center, whose job is to destroy all the evidence of rebate. Their fax machine is always available but they could never receive your fax! If they would not receive your fax, how would they receive your mail? This trick is too dirty for such a big company as AT&T!

• Bi
      7th of Aug, 2007

It is the same story for everyone. I hope someone can really provide information as to what can be done about it. I am going to contact Better Business Bureau and FTC. Also, I will switch the carrier for the internet service. I think, we should take their business away. That is the best we can do. Also, get in touch with the shareholders of AT&T who can contact the Board of AT&T.

• Ni
      4th of Sep, 2007

I sent my rebate in January 2007. Eight or nine phone calls later, an escalation, and a missed manager phone call, my check was mailed and RECEIVED! It was the biggest rebate pain I've ever had and I dissuaded my mother from switching her service for this reason. I keep records of everyone I talked to, the date and the time. Each time I called, I would read the list to the new person and then take their name state the date and the time. I can't say if it helped or not, but the person answering the phone on the eighth call was speechless after the list.

5th of Sep, 2007

I sent my form in for the $49.99 equipment rebate right away in May 2007 and still no rebate in September 2007. I checked the status only to find out that the person who had my new phone number before me got a rebate and it somehow messed up mine. I called AT&T and they promised to escalate the case and said it would be another 10 to 12 weeks before I get the rebate. Guess I should wait 10 to 12 weeks to pay my bill. What a bunch of hassle.

• Ri
      8th of Sep, 2007

Your DSL rebate system is the worst i have ever seen didn't get first check, you canceled it and as of to date i have not seen the replacement check. What a joke!

8th of Sep, 2007

I agree with all these comments unfortunately, the same thing has happened to me. AT& T has got to have the worst customer service department ever. I have never had so much trouble for such a small rebate. Small compared to the billions they rake in every quarter. Some of which is my money. But no more. I am switching to another company. I'm convinced I will never see that rebate, since it has been 4 months since I started complaining. Good luck to all you out there still waiting, I'm glad I'm not desperate for that money, some people might be. Shame on you AT & T.

• Jp
      11th of Sep, 2007

Another customer with the same complaint. We have been waiting since February 2007. First we were told that our installation didn't qualify for the rebate. Once that was seemingly straightened out, the next several calls have resulted in other excuses, so I asked to talk to a supervisor. Someone identifying herself as a "supervisor" called me a couple of days later and said our rebate claim was "escalated" and that we would receive the check in a couple of weeks. Still nothing. This is nothing more than a scam. Janice, St. Louis

• Ke
      14th of Sep, 2007

In regards to the letters that I have read they are almost exactly the same thing that ATT rebate center has told me. They keep giving me the runaround and after asking to speak to supervisor I was told no supreviser was there to handle my complaint, but that one would call back somtime early next week. After calling rebate center again and comnplaining that next week was not accectable. I was then told I would hear from a supervisor today (Fri) or tomorrow (Sat) Well we will see if that happpens. Ive been waiting since Feb 07 and here it is the middle of September 2007. We will see what happens if it is not settled I will be making complaint to BBB . FTC and Attourney Generlals office in CT.

• As
      16th of Sep, 2007

Ack this is scary!!

Our apartment complex decided to no longer offer internet service, so they told us they had arranged deals for us with AT&T and told us about the wonderful rebate that they had and blahblahblah. So I got my equipment and sent in the rebate form. I checked online later and it had not been received so I called up and the woman said they had not received it but she could take my information and start processing it. I checked back and it said my request had been received. Checking back again later I saw that it was "issuing my refund check." Except then I received a postcard saying my refund had been declined. So I immediately called them up and explained it and they checked my record and said that it had been "credited to my account." Well I had 4 months worth of bills from them and indeed it had NOT been. I got a service number and they said they would escalate the case for review. But when I called back 4 weeks later I was told that I had to wait another 4 weeks from the date I received the service number. ARGH.

I'm a student so I can't really afford all this crap and with all the downtime that my DSL has been giving me I'm tempted to switch services. The line shuts down like clockwork at 9:30pm for the past week, whenever their line service technicians are gone. How convenient, huh?! Since when is DSL offered between the hours of 8am-12am EST, Mon-Sat?!?!

• Ka
      17th of Sep, 2007

I too am having the same problem. I first had my service installed in dec 2006 in 4 months i did get a check. in june 4 2007 i was told if i upgradd i would indeed get another 49.99 rebate. well I have called 4 diferent times and still no check. I always here it will take up to four wekks.. HELLO? its ben over 3 months. I get one that says they cant find it and another that says it is being processed. the website says it cleared for $0.00 what the heck? I will be changing services as soon as I get my 50.00 they owe me. o and I will let them know they will get paid in the next 10 to 12 weeks. This company is awful!

• Di
      20th of Sep, 2007

I received my DSL months ago, I've called and tried to look up online to locate my rebate but so far nothing. I agree that AT&T has the worst service known to man/woman on this planet. They won't even send me a paper statment so I can determine what my charges are each month and they very by as much as $20 per month without long distance charges. Their policy of only billing online with no explanation doesn't cut it for me.

• Na
      26th of Sep, 2007

Same thing happened with me. AT&T mailed me my phone and on the rebate they said you need your cash register receipt...WELL, no receipt since it was mailed to me and they said "oh so sorry"...they knew ahead of time they did not mail me the receipt so i'm the one out. The online help said to send them a copy of your credit card showing transaction, which I did but you have to have the original receipt to get the rebate...RIPOFF! I will cancel AT&T /CINGULAR when contract is up.

28th of Sep, 2007
    AT&T - DSL Equipment Rebate - Rebate promise is a rip off!

If you go to attequpmentrebate.com you will see there is alot of people that have been ripped off including myself. I think this is in need of a class action lawsuit! I have been denied a rebate check even though I qualified back in June 07 and they issued me a check twice only to cancel them before they were mailed and now they say I don't qualify because I moved? I used there service over the 60 days as per our agreement and they had no problem sending me three "final bills" {one for 1cent} as I gave them my forwarding address! This is wide spread across the US. Sincerely DP