The most trusted and popular consumer complaints website
Explore your opportunities! Create an account or Sign In

AT&T / customer service stinks

1 United States Review updated:
Contact information:

My phone service and DSL internet through AT&T keep getting disconnected for no reason. This is now the second time it has happened in 2 weeks.

Each time, AT&T told me they would restore my phone service within 24 HOURS. How ridiculous is that? I have no phone service and no one seems to care. I can't call the help line because I have no phone and when I did call from a neighbor's line, they told me to report my claim online - but my DSL won't work either.

I'm paying my bill and I have no dial tone. The turn around time to repair this is unacceptable.

Sort by: UpDate | Rating


  • Ro
      4th of Dec, 2008
    0 Votes

    On November 20th, 2008, I called AT&T from work to have my DSL line swapped to a stand alone service separate from my home phone. I was doing this in preparation for swapping my local/long distance carrier to Vonage because I have been unhappy with the service I receive from AT&T regarding my bills.

    After 2 phone calls and 45 minutes on the phone I successfully had the swap scheduled for 11/25/2008. I was at home that day and around noon my home phone was disconnected which I had not asked to done. I called back and spent an hour on the phone speaking to at least 4 different people, the last of which assured me my phone would be turned back on within 2 hours.

    The next morning, 11/26/2008, I still had no phone service. I called back and spent about 40 minutes on the phone when I was assured the service would be back on within the next 2 hours. Around noon that day my phone service came back on.

    When I returned from my holiday vacation Sunday night the 30th, I had no internet service. I spent an hour on the phone only to be told I would need to call back the next day to talk to the Billing dept and have the DSL service on my home phone disconnected and the old login associated with the new number.

    Monday, 12/1/2008, I called back and spent 2 hours on the phone with AT&T, getting disconnected twice and having to call back in and go thru the queue again. After 2 hours, the techs who conferenced in the billing dept were able to get my internet service back up and the new DSL number associated with my previous logon.

    An hour later the internet connection was down again. I called back, spent another hour on the phone where I was told that an order to disconnect had been placed, though no one was able to tell me who or why the disconnect order was placed. Instead of keeping me on the phone I was told I would be contacted later that day and given an update.

    At 6pm that night I received a phone call stating that my service was scheduled to be reconnected on December the 9th. I explained that was completely unacceptable and called back Tuesday the 2nd and spoke with a supervisor named Leonard who assured me my service would be reconnected the following day, 12/3/2008, no later than 5pm.

    When I arrived home that day (around 5:15pm), I had no internet service. I called back into the support desk and spent an 1 hour and 15 minutes on the phone speaking with a tech. I was told whoever set the service back up had done so incorrectly and my service was not scheduled to be turned back on until January 21st, 2009. He assured me he could get this corrected, and the last time I spoke to him before I was disconnected he said he needed 5 more minutes.

    After being disconnected I called back, spent 30 minutes in the queue waiting to talk to someone, got mad and slammed my phone down on my countertop and shattered it. By the time I got another phone connected and called back the service center was closed. I still had no internet connection.

    I called back on Thursday December 4th, 2 weeks after this all began, and spent another 45 minutes on the phone where I was told that my service was scheduled to be cut back on the following day, December 5th. Again this was unacceptable and I was told they would do everything they could to get my service turned back on today.

    I’ve spent 9 hours on the phone with these idiots and still have no service!!!

Post your comment