AT&T

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 by

beware of door to door sales

Pickerington, OhioPickerington, United States
I just cancelled my new AT&T install, when the installer arrived, due to what I think is “bait & switch”.
I had one of those door to door AT&T salesman, actually 2 of them, come to my door to sell me a new service for my Internet, cable TV & phone. This is the second time this has happened. The last time, as it turned out, I could not have a box installed for some TVs and a basic cable service to the others, you have to have a box for every TV, so I cancelled the install. So, this time when they came by we started with an explanation of the first experience. I specifically asked if I needed a box to every TV or could I have basic to the non-boxed TVs. The salesman assured me we could and called someone to confirm.
With the confirmation that we could have some TVs without a box, I signed up for the deal, paid a small upfront fee and scheduled the install.
Installation day came and as the guy pulled up in front of my house I went out to greet him, and to double confirm, I asked him if I needed a box on every TV. He said yes. Here we go again! I asked the installer if he could hold on a moment while I called to find a solution to the issue.
The first number I called was the “retention line”. I explained my issue and was told I had the wrong department and that she would forward my call to the right person. She forwarded me to a non-working number.
Next I found another number on the “contract” and called and got to a guy who ultimately informed me he was an “account manager”. (I found out he was account manager after speaking with him awhile. I was getting nowhere and asked to speak to his supervisor, that's when he informed me he was an account manager)
I explained everything to him; this was the second time this sort of thing had happened, I felt strongly that I was “bait and switched” and that I wanted the deal I signed up for with all TVs working. He simply told me he could not do it and the extra boxes would be an extra $21 per month. I asked him why their mistake should cost me more money. He said “I didn't make the mistake”. That pretty much sent me over the edge, I responded, maybe not but your company did!
He offered me the price I was “quoted” for “2 or 3 months” but he could not give me the price for the whole “contract”. I declined. He then attempted to re-work the “package” (a lower tier service) to get me to the cost I was quoted. I almost bought his attempt until he informed me of an additional cost and a “one-time fee”.
I finally told him I wanted the deal I was “quoted”, with all TVs working or this conversation was over. He again told me he couldn't get me the price and then attempted to get me to keep the internet and phone since we couldn't work out the TVs. He, without a doubt, knew I was not happy and for him to continue to try and make a sale! Wow how brash! Or perhaps a tenacious salesman, or maybe he was just not hearing my concern, or didn't care, after all I'm only one of many right?
AT&T, come on, I know mistakes happen, however:
• The same thing happened twice – nothing fixed by the first mistake
• Sub-contractors – I know it's probably a business necessity, but they really should know your product. Whomever they called for support to confirm the type install requested should certainly know
• When I called into AT&T for help – to get forwarded to a non-working number?
• When your employees or contractors make mistakes, you should own it
• The installer was extremely courteous, patient and understanding.
The cost for you to have fixed this is much less than the cost of a new customer.
Revenue lost this contract: $3000. Long term?
Patrick brown
Complaint comments Comments (0) Complaint country United States Complaint category Internet Services

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree