AT&T Advertising And Publishing / automatic renewal of contract

1 po box 8112Aurora, IL, United States Review updated:

At&T renewed my advertising after I told their sales rep that I no longer wanted their service. They told me I had to cancel in form of a certified letter.

Va

Comments

Se
  24th of Oct, 2008

AT&T did the same to me, they forced me to run 1 more year with an advertise that was in a wrong section, they provide a poor service. If you can track the calls that you receive from AT&T advertise you'll see that just doesn't work, you'll have very low amount of calls, and big bill to pay to AT&T.

Gr
  5th of Dec, 2008

Hello I agree with you, I sold advertising for Yellow Pages for over 20 years... There is an alternative to directory advertising, visit www.GREENis theNEWYELLOW.com

Li
  26th of Jan, 2009

I am having the same problem. Has your problem been resolved? If so, how? Thanks.

Li
  26th of Jan, 2009

I have gotten the same notice from my SWBYP. I don't feel obligated to pay the bill. How has your situation worked out? Thanks.

At
  28th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Advertising with AT & T Advertsing and Publishing is the worst mistake I ever made. It is frightening how they operate.

K9
  22nd of Jun, 2009

Has anyone just nor paid? I feel like I ambeing held hostage and with no release in sight.

Ma
  7th of Jul, 2009

I just made my second to last payment on my contract. Yes they are holding me hostage. It is amazing that they have no morals. If I don't pay they will shut off my business line call forwarding that I advertise with. I am thinking it just may not be worth it to continue with them. As soon as this is over I am cancelling all of my att services. I just called the service department to complain and all I got was " I will notate your account mame. BFD. That did nothing. Has anyone had any sucess in getting their contracts refunded?

Di
  20th of Jul, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I too had a bad experince advertisng with AT & T Advertising and Publishing so contacted Better Business Bureau in St. Louis, MO. The amount past due is always negotiable. My problem was resolved within two weeks after a nine month battle with AT & T. Don't listen to their threats just take action and contact the BBB ASAP! Wish I had contacted BBB sooner!

Pi
  28th of Jul, 2009

Wow found my tribe. So verbal contract, says the written contract is to arrive in 3-4 days ( from a internet advertiser who has my email, & and hosts my domain) think nothing of it. 4 weeks later contract arrives. Has 72 hour cancellation. Whoa! Call the sales rep; no longer at the company. I do not have a rep, am informed. Send certified letter to the cancellation Dept.. I do asap. I called many times to drop out. Will not let me. The billing is not the $54 quoted but $67. After many attempts, I get them to play the "verbal contract". The facts above are mentioned but the rep fails to mention the info for the 72 cancellation.

Now 6 months have long gone. I get a call from the new sales rep, Gertha Davis, nice enough, want me to re up. I politely give her an earful. I state that I've sent in my cancel letter back in October days after I received the tardy written contract. She nor any one at ATT internet advertising has any record of it. The PO does. I have a certified recite. She will look in to it. Weeks go by. I call again, why am I still getting bills? "Please fax" she asks. I do with the PO deliver notice. 3 weeks go by. I get a new get a new bill thou I was informed that it was down in June. I call again. Now I get a email from her! It states on 7.23.09 she says its in a claim. This is the third time and the only claim that was reversed was the credit for the "over-billing" that was "discovered in my verbal recording.

I am at the point where I am going to call my super corporate uncle and teach these guys a lesson. These are unfair business practices; with out morality. I am not a lover of ATT, an spend a lot of money on their services, but this is a different kind of business model.

As of this writing the site is still up. I have spent too much time on this. As a SB owner, I have seen a lot. But this one leaves me aghast.

Advice?

Te
  6th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Here's is what my att Advertising contact said:

5. Renewals. We reserve the right at our discretion, but we are not obligated, to renew your Advertising for renewal Terms coinciding with the publication dates of the directory. We will send you notice of renewal by U.S. Mail, containing any change in Advertising rates and the accompanying terms and conditions, and you may refuse the renewal by giving us written notice within 15 days from our mailing, or by the deadline contained in the notice, whichever is first. We reserve the right, upon written notice to you at any time prior to renewal: (a) not to renew your Advertising for reasons set forth in paragraph 2 above or (b) to eliminate or modify any terms, conditions, standards, specifications, products, headings or policies (including without limitation priority placement of Advertising) affecting your Advertising. All Internet Advertising will automatically renew at our discretion at the then current rate unless cancelled prior to the publication date of the next printed directory. After renewal, only changes resulting in the same or increased level of Internet Advertising charges may be made.

After reading this I wrote a letter to my sales rep informing AT&T of my desire to cancel and not renew my contract. I mailed the letter certified mail so someone at AT&T had to sign for it. I have a copy of the letter and a return receipt that proves the cancellation letter was received. Now if AT&T tries to do something stupid and auto-renew me, I have material evidence that proves my notice to cancel was delivered.

Here is the text of my cancellation letter:

This letter is to inform you that our advertising agreement for print and internet advertising signed on ______ is not being renewed.

Our company is extremely concerned that our other marketing activities -- free craigslist ads, contractor review websites and targeted flyer distribution – all outperformed the yellow pages print and internet advertising. Our free craigslist ads alone generated $300, 000 in contracts, yet the paid advertising in the Yellow Pages book and yellowpages.com generated $ 0 in revenue.

In regards to internet marketing, over the last ten months yellowpages.com generated only 24 clicks to the our website. This was an average of 2.4 clicks a month! If I factor in the total cost of the internet advertising ($42 x 10 months = $420 ) and divide by the number of clicks generated ($420 / 24 = ) the cost per click is $17.50. During this same time frame our website had over 500 hits from craigslist at a cost per click of $0.0.

Unless AT&T Advertising can somehow refund a significant portion of the funds paid on this non-performing advertising contract Our Company will make it a policy to never do business with AT&T Advertising again.

This Works, just remember to send the letter certified or registered mail and the letter must be received by AT&T by your renewal deadline or you will be automatically renewed for another year.

An
  4th of Oct, 2010

where did you send the letter to (address)?

Gg
  7th of Apr, 2011

I'm looking for the address too! The collection agency is calling me 4 or 5 times a day!!!