ASF International / Terrible company

United States Review updated:

I signed a contract with Knuckle Up Fitness in Douglasville, GA, in May 2007 for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu classes. I was injured in a car accident in Sept. 2007. I did not try to cancel my contract until March 2008 because my doctor told me that I should be able to resume normal activities in 3-6 months. When I realized that it would take a lot longer for me to heal, I sent a letter to Knuckle Up to cancel my contract under the 'permanent disability' clause.

I received a letter from ASF International in April 2008 stating that they needed a letter from my doctor on letterhead in order to cancel the contract. I received a letter stating that I was injured in Sept. 2007 and was still undergoing treatment and that I could not participate in Jiu Jitsu classes. ASF repeatedly rejected this letter because it did not contain the phrases 'permanently disabled' and '45 days.' ASF continued to bill me a monthly fee.

I filed a complaint with the Denver Better Business Bureau (denver.bbb.org), of which ASF is a member (in good standing, if you can believe that). In response that that complaint, ASF sent me a letter stating that my contract was cancelled and that I had no further financial obligation. I also sent a letter to the CEO of Knuckle Up Fitness. This letter was referred to Knuckle Up's general counsel, who contacted me and arranged for reimbursement of all monthly fees paid since ASF received my initial cancellation request. I spoke with the general counsel yesterday and expect to receive a check in a few days.

I recommend that people having trouble dealing with ASF contact the gym they originally signed a contract with and ask for the name and contact information for their general counsel and file a complaint with the Denver BBB.
Li

Comments

Ju
  9th of Mar, 2009
I sent ASF a letter and copied State of Colorado Department of Law. According to them, this company operates illegally - they are not registered with BBB. Don't pay! If you have direct debit, go to the bank and they will issue you a new debit card, which stops the direct debit. See the link to the Colorado BBB regarding ASF:

ASF Payment Solutions Logo ASF Payment Solutions