Applebee's / bad food, bad service, mandatory gratuity

1 Bloomingdale, United States Review updated:

My husband and I made the mistake of going to a local Applebee's for dinner last evening. We ordered our food and then waited an exorbitant length of time until our food arrived and my order was wrong. My husband was almost finished with his meal by the time my orange chicken bowl arrived. The quality of the food was less than mediocre but not nearly as disappointing as the arrival of the bill which included a mandatory 15% gratuity for our server. I probably would have given her a tip in any case as I know how hard these kids work; I do, however, resent having it tacked on automatically. The new CEO who had so much success in turning IHOP around needs to redouble her efforts with Applebee's or it is destined to be the next Bennigan's.

Ca

Comments

10th of May, 2009

I understand things can go wrong at restaurants and mistakes happen. Most of the time, it's the kitchen being backed up, the bartender being overloaded, or the restaurant is just down right busy! And even if it is the server did cause the mistake- we're all human. Does that mean that they shouldn't get paid for the work they DID do?? What's wrong with gratuity? It is an absolute must to leave AT LEAST 15% for servers, 20% if you received fanomanal service. And you Probably would've tipped? PROBABLY? You know, in most places servers make less the minimum wage. And the hourly wage goes purely to taxes so they receive very little to NO paycheck. WHAT'S WRONG with protecting servers so they can actually make sure they will be paid for their work? You don't hire a real estate agent if you can't afford their commission salary. So don't go out to eat if you can't afford paying for the service- or go to McDonald's.

• Xd
      1st of Feb, 2010

I completely agree. I went there just today with 5 friends (we are teenagers), and only ordered one plate of food each and a drink which came to be around $12 each anda sampler plater which was $15 to share with everybody. The total was about $80 and they jacked on a $24 gratuity fee that they demanded we pay. We all spent so much money on food that wasn't anything wonderful. I'm just wondering how legal this is, especially with us being minors and not working class, for them to stick a whole bunch on money on there and say, "yeah you have to pay that too". Obviously we aren't idiots and know to leave a decent tip for them so it's not like we were being inconsiderate. Besides the waitress was less than hospitable to us and gave us an attitude and it's not like she had to run back and forth across the restaurant with our food constantly. I', not coming back to applebees for a long time.

• Je
      1st of Feb, 2010

I used to work at the applebees in manhattan ks as a host. Ill never eat there again. The other host who would have to wipe down pre bussed tables would brag about seating people about tables that had not been wiped down. Alot of the hosts would complain about alot of things in front of customers. I watched two of them nearly get into a fight about tips. One customer was so outraged that she omplained to a manager about how they were disrupting their meal. Host's are only paid about $2.13 per hour and have to split a tip out given by the servers. The servers were not always honest about what they would make either. I remember one night working a 12 hr shift. When I came in the next morning to pick up my tips there was only $15 in the envelope that they gave me. It upset me beause it had been a busy day and I had worked extremely hard. Later that day I had overheard servers talking about how they had made over $200 that night.