American Express/gift Card / would not replace empty gift card box

1 PA, United States Review updated:

My husband and I received 2 American Express gift cards for our wedding from his boss at work. Both were $100 in value and purchased at a local Wawa.

The very evening we received them, my husband opened one of the gift cards up to find that the box had been slit on the side and the gift card was missing. He immediately called American Express to inform them of the missing card in order to have it replaced. They said they would note the complaint and we would receive a phone call within 5 business days. After a week passes, we still never received a call.

My husband calls a second time and discovers that they have NO RECORD of the first call. He gives them the information again, and once more they tell him that American Express will call him within 5 business days.

We got married and went away on our honeymoon for almost 2 weeks without hearing a thing from American Express. My husband calls a third time, and the employee on the other end tells him that he needs to send in the receipt for the gift card purchase. This was GIFT! We didn't buy the card, it was given to us. My husband is not tactless enough to ask his boss for the receipt for our wedding gift because the card had been stolen in the store. If American Express was competent enough to have recorded the first complaint, hours after the card had been purchased, perhaps we could have had it replaced. Instead, we spent a month trying to resolve the issue and got nowhere.

I feel terrible that my husband's boss gave us a gift that went to waste because American Express lacks proper customer service.

We did not receive a replacement card and $100 was probably spent by the thief who stole it in the first place. We will never purchase American Express gift cards for this very reason and I canceled the credit card I had with them.

Je

Comments

• Da
      14th of Nov, 2011

American Express Gift Card Promotion Is a scam. They tell you that they are going to send you a $10.00 Gift card after you refill the card 2 times @75 dollars.
    Then they dont send the card. Customer service is in Some country where They dont have the first clue about the english lanquage.