American Express / bill due date strangely shifted
I've been an Amex customer for nearly a decade, and have run tens of thousands of dollars through their cards. There's always a standing offer of a Platinum card, but I haven't taken it and here's why:
I do not trust them as a company. Aside from the fine print that has fine print that burned me on a balance transfer years ago, here's my current greivance:
My billing cycle closing date mysteriously "shifted" after it was supposed to close, to extend an extra day to include a large charge. I checked about 5 times in the two weeks leading up to this charge, confirming that their website indicated a bill cycle closure on July 20th. I then charged a rather expensive item on Monday, July 21st so as to give myself extra time to pay.
Lo and behold, I go to check the bill today, and now the billing closure date mysteriously "changed" from a typical 30 day cycle (the 20th) to have an extra day to include this new charge, which should have been on a new, July 21st to August 21st cycle.
I can pay it today or in August, that's besides the point. The gist is: I paid attention to their website, properly placed a large purchase to get it on the next open cycle, and then the cycle changed on my AFTER the charge was made. I spoke with 3 representatives (1 a supervisor) all of whom say they've never seen that before and it's "impossible" that it would happen. They say I am liable for the charge this month, not the next.
I don't disagree with them not seeing it have happened before, but I know what I saw, repeatedly, on my web account: closure date of July 20th, 30 day cycle as usual, for months and months and months. Suddenly, after the fact, it's a 31 day cycle and nicks this extra purchase. Something changed on their side.
I never miss payments, I've paid in full no matter large or small. This is not worth burning a longtime customer over, and they've done just that.
More American Express Complaints & Reviews
- American Express - canceled card with no notice 
- American Express - debt collection 
- American Express - interest rate increase 
- Your Centurion Card - fraud 
- American Express - penalty for paying bill early 
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - my card 
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - customer service, zero help! 
- American Express - credit card/ my account was closed without my permission
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - american express - car hire mileage [ref: 180222-004261]
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - trip id: 2471-8267; return flight