Allegiant Air / no contingency plan!

I am writing to express my extreme disappointment with Allegiant Air. Hopefully, my mistakes will serve as a warning to others who are lured to use this discount airline to save a few bucks. Remember, “You get what you pay for.” I missed my return flight from Springfield, MO to Orlando, FL because the ticket counter was closed 30 minutes before the flight even departed! Don’t be late for this airline. In spite of a Delta Airline employee calling to let someone know that I was waiting at the Allegiant counter, no one cared enough to come and check me in for the flight. Apparently, all the Allegiant air personnel were out preparing the plane for departure. As I waited impatiently at the empty Allegiant counter hoping someone would come and let me on the flight, I looked around and saw that other airline counters were open and ready for business. Had I not tried to save a few bucks and flown with Continental, American, or Delta I would be home or well on my way by now and not worried about rescheduling appointments with customers next week and contemplating the possibility of financial losses because of this Podunk airline. Once there was absolutely no chance of making my flight, Tom came to the counter to offer assistance. He was able to get me on the next Allegiant air flight which is scheduled FOUR DAYS LATER! He also boasted that he was able to make these changes without charging me any fees. Wow! Thanks Tom. Allegiant air does not have good policies to protect and accommodate passengers. They have no contingency plan for people who arrive late for a flight. I acknowledge that it is not good to check in 30 minutes before a flight, but sometimes it happens. Reputable airlines have the financial wherewithal, plan of action, and employees who can accommodate a passenger when he/she arrives late. Additionally, the maintenance of Allegiant airplanes did little to build a good first impression. The condition of the plane on the flight from Orlando, FL to Springfield, Mo was discouraging. The exterior of the plane seemed to be missing paint. The first aircraft I boarded had a distracting foul almost urine smell to it. Before take off a member of the flight crew mentioned that “pesky lights” were being worked on. Later, it was determined that a computer needed to be replaced. Finally, all the passengers were deboarded and had to wait for another plane. Thankfully, we did not have to wait FOUR DAYS for that other plane. Because of the inconvenience passengers were given a complimentary cup of soda (can not included). So, I guess my hour or so of a delay waiting for a different plane is worth a cup of soda. Thanks Allegiant Air. If all goes well, you may save money flying on this airline. If something goes wrong, you may be in trouble. The initial savings may not be worth the possible stress and eventual loss of time and money that could result from flying with Allegiant Air. On a positive note, there were no chickens or farm animals on the first flight. We will see what happens on the flight back home.

Comments

• Me
      30th of Apr, 2007

There are so many complaints I have about them I will try to sum them up. Their prices are very unpredictable, they charge for everything, and they are inconsistent. One example of inconsistency is that my husband came to visit and decided not to return with a few things that included two pairs of shoes some sweatshirts and a jacket. When they weighed his bag they said it was heavier leaving than coming. I think they were trying to get him to pay for an extra bag.

They are the only airline that is a full size plane and flies directly to where my husband is stationed so we are pretty much stuck. Allegiant is just like the oil companies who raise their fares whenever they want and lower them for a minute just to raise them back up twice as much even quicker. There is no strategy to purchasing tickets with Allegiant, you just have to get lucky... They stink!

• El
      22nd of Oct, 2007

Allegiant Air poisoned passengers and crew aboard their flight when they "accidentally" crossed the crossed drinking water lines with the "blue" water toilet lines and made several pots of coffee to serve to passengers with the Blue toilet water. One flight attendant became violently ill and was taken to the emergency room. i don't know what happened to the rest of the poisoned passengers.

24th of Nov, 2007

Oh goody... some people who understand my frustration. May I ask? What is the point of purchasing "Trip Flex?" It appears, from the wording in their guidelines, that Trip Flex is a type of insurance. Now, it is in my humble opinion that insurance is purchased for the unexpected events in life. So, if I buy this "Trip Flex" and some unfortunate circumstance occurs, shouldn't I be able to at least use the funds for a future date?

According to a Customer Service Representative (CSR) with Allegiant, I should have notified the airline a day in advance of the unexpected event. Now, maybe it's just me, but if I had expected the unexpected event, wouldn't I have purchased the ticket for a different date? Illnesses, injuries, and deaths are, in my book, unexpected events. Allegiant seems to think otherwise.

So, be comforted my friends. What they lack in customer service, they make up for in stupidity.

• Da
      19th of Dec, 2007

I too am disgusted. Please, do yourself the favor of reading the whole post, and ask if you'd decide to purchase a fare knowing I've been delayed and disgusted by a variety of circumstances. Occasionally my flights have gone as planned, but more often not.

Initially very pleased this airline opened up a direct flight for my weekly commute, Tampa to Springfield, MO and back, a 2 hr route which makes door to door about 5.5, comparing to 8 - 10 hrs by several variety of other connecting or direct plus rental car routes available to me via US Air, USA 3000 or Southwest, (or any other airline flying TPA to XNA or STL, I bought the cheap tickets. 5 of 8 flights were late by two hours or more. I now compare at 7.5-10 hrs with savings in hand, but schedule and plans blown.

Here is a typical example. I could not make this up.

The week before Thanksgiving, as we awaited our plane, the passengers bound from Tampa to Rockford IL were boarded on ours. No wait, the week before Thanksgiving the arriving plane was three hours late then I flew direct. Sorry it's hard to keep track of the delays.

I'm talking about the weekend after Thanksgiving. Rockford passengers were boarded from the adjacent gate, then directed once on the Tarmac to our aircraft, outside our gate, instead of the ones outside theirs. I double checked to make sure theres was there. Then we boarded. We, too boarded the aircraft outside our gate. We all flew to Rockford. We knew something was up but were only advised once we were on the plane that our flights were combined, and our destination was second. Result, four hours late on arrival, roughly. So much for saving time, it still took over 9 hrs to get home. But I obviously was not the only dissappointed passenger.

Once in Rockford, those waiting in Rockford to go to Tampa were also boarded, and they were carted with us to Springfield. So they were late too, probably by about three hours. Arriving in Springfield, obviously there was a large crowd of disgusted and late passengers there as well, now looking forward to what had originally been a 9:30 arrival back in Tampa, but had to have been more like 1:00 AM. Anyone planning on renting a car that night would probably have needed a cab instead, due to an after midnight arrival at a small destination (Tampa flights are really St Pete) a nice bonus shocker and obviously a hit to the savings on the fare.

I did not mention the stated reason for the passenger transfer / combination routine. Apparently the plane bound for Rockford had trouble with the de-icing equipment. Not good when flying into an ice storm. However, upon further reflection, and doing some easy math, isn't it convenient that there were more than enough seats available on each route in each direction to combine the passengers bound Tampa-Rockford with the ones bound Tampa-Springfield, then combine Rockford-Tampa with Tampa-Springfield, then again Rockford-Tampa with Springfield-Tampa? Imagine all these things being possible. Seems like an awfully unlikely coincidence that all three of these things were possible. Sounds more like a suitable excuse was made, in this case, sorry folks no de-icing equipment is working for our flight into known icing conditions - who wants to fly on that, was made to combine four undersold routes - carpooling, into three, and ripping all of us off of the convenience we thought we had purchased for the two hour direct flight.

After booking over 13 fares this year, I called them to advise my wife and kids who were planning on staying with me in Tampa overnight last weekend decided to abort the hour drive to the Springfield airport through a ice and snow storm. It just was not safe. Since this happened hours before the flight we automatically forfieted those fares via the 24 hour rule. The others were cancelled for a $50 per each fee, and I recieve a travel voucher for the remaining funds, or $88 of an original $578 round trip fare for three. Having booked a waterside hotel and obtained box seats for a hockey game and four tickets to the Bucaneers-Falcons game in sunny warm Florida, the following day, everyone was looking forward to a good time anywhere but there in Popsicle, MO, but it wasn't worth the risk of my wife driving close to 90 minutes through the blowing snow.

When I called to make the cancellation, after waiting about 30 minutes on hold, the agent who arranged my cancellation seemed neither interested that I had flown this route nearly every week since it opened, nor that I had put up with my share of dissappointments on their part, nor that I was understandably upset in losing nearly $500 of what I paid, for nothing. To be honest, I would have to say I sensed some satisfaction in her voice as she interupted me to read the regulations to me right over my protests.

I fly almost every weekend and am platinum with US Airways and have extra trips saved on Southwest. If I were to call either of them with a change, and I have, I know how I would be treated. They would accomodate me if possible, and due to my frequency of travel, they would waive the fee. They would call me sir, and say thank you.

I've read several of the other complaints, and I too, have recieved the free cup of soda. The full can is still $2 should you need a full can after a three hour delay. I've also recieved cake for my troubles.

I've also been on the plane with the flaking paint, and I've probably flown unknowingly on the one with the broken de-icing equipment. Finally, all of them have an intercom so loud that it pierces your ears. Just try to take a nap if you can't stand suffering through what has already happened to you.

Finally, you may be lucky enough, as I almost always am, to be served by two stewards whom I've nicknamed (when I convey these tales to my wife) "The artist formerly known as Prince", and "Flock of Seagulls"! If you know what I mean, and I think you do! Those of you from Key West, S.F., and West LA, you're in for a treat as you'll very much enjoy being served by these striking and flamboyantly personable flight attendants. As for me, whatever. They can push a cart with the best of them, so they may be hired, but gentlemen prefer blondes.

Shaky and unreliable schedules, shoddy looking aircraft, minor "squawks" like dim or stuck overhead lights, unkempt, inexperienced, and inadaquate staff (wait until you get to baggage claim - another 30 minutes of waiting), rude customer service agents to respond to all of this.... the list goes on. Everything you hope not to happen to you during your travels happens to you more often than not on this carrier.

Buyer Beware! Big Time! Spend your money on something you can count on, and get value, quality service, and planes you don't mind flying on, not empty promises, delays, and crappy service. And don't call to complain. After waiting thirty minutes on hold, you'll get shafted.

29th of Dec, 2007

You idiots!! Notice that all airlines tell you on your confirmation/itinerary that all flights close 3o minutes before departure!?!?! You all sound like a bunch of stuck up losers thinking you have to have everything perfect. Get over yoursel[censored]

• Je
      2nd of Feb, 2008

Obviously the "Idiot" comment above comes from one of their employees. It sounds just like them.

• Du
      6th of Feb, 2008

I'll admit I used to work for them. Some things you should realize--first of all, most of the counter employees are not employed by Allegiant. They are third party employees and cover several positions within the given airport. Don't now about the story about going PIE-RFD-SGF-PIE. In my time with the airline, we experienced only one delay, but you should have heard the complaints. Would you rather have it ensured that you are flying safely or would you want risk several lives to make sure you arrive on time? As for the ticket counter, the reason AA was closed it probably that that's the only flight of the day and, yes, the staff also works the gate. Every other airline closes check-in 30 min prior, but they have other flights, so they still have staff at the counter. Your flight time is take-off... wheels off the ground, it's not what time the door at the gate closes. Boarding always starts 30 min prior to take off time. I can vouch for the stories at Customer Care--unless you tell them you work with the airline industry, they rarely listen. Even when arranging travel for work, I got one of them screwing up the reservation. That, I would say, is just human nature--people are less commited to excellence on the job these days.

29th of Feb, 2008

My last two flights have been delayed by about 5 hours. My last delay caused me to miss seeing a a good Show is Las Vegas that I had been waiting months to see. Even though it is a direct flight from Wichita to Las Vegas, I don't think I will be flying with Allegiant again. I have a grandson living in Las Vegas so I try to visit him often, but next time, Iwill pay the difference and go with another carrier.

9th of May, 2008
    Allegiant airline - bad customer service
    allegiant airlines
    Florida

Customer service is downright rude, there is no reason to treat a customer like an idiot. I fly every week and have for 30 years, I have never experienced anything like the complete disregard for common decency this airline exhibits. They must figure everyone will only fly once so the heck with them.
    Karma's going to bite you in the butt someday!

19th of May, 2008

I live in Las Vegas and have Allegiant for the last three years. My wife and I fly everywhere with them, never had a problem and they are super cheap. Thanks Allegiant, keep up the good work!

• Ge
      16th of Aug, 2008

i am a Canadian from vancouver, bc Allegiant traveller wow I have a true story, this Febuary 4 2008 I was in Las Vegas with my wife and 2 friends, we checked our bags in 2 hours before boarding, my wife realised she forgot her phone, so we all went back to the Stratosphere hotel and found it. When comming back traffic was hectic we made it back 5 to 10 minutes late of boarding call. The plane was gone??? WTF these "professionals" or abiding FAA specialists have 4 seperate suitcases on a plane with passengers from Los Vegas to Blaine, and the 4 people who own them are sitting waiting for another flight. Imagine the worst happening again? Any fool want to defend any reasoning for why this happened ? unreal but in truth disgusting, I hope this gets into the right persons hands...

15th of Oct, 2008

Every flight that I have been on the Allegiant Airlines has been a great experience and I have had no problems whatsoever.

21st of Feb, 2009

Ummm...every airline in the industry will not let board prior to 30 minutes, not just Allegiant. It Homeland Security rules.

I am also from Springfield and I have gotten tickets 35 minutes before the plane is to take off. They are there - get there earlier.

21st of Feb, 2009

I can tell the people that don't travel often by their comments. They are negative.

If you read Allegiants Terms and conditions you will see they give NO REFUNDS. How do you think they can sell tickets for $15.00 ea way? If you want to pay $400.00 roundtrip on another carrier because you might miss the flight - do it.

Some tricks when flying Allegiant:

1) Bring a Carry On if you can - this avoids the baggage fee by the way which most other
    airlines are now charging too.

2) Don't select your seat - this will normally save you $30 roundtrip

3) If you need a rental car, book through Allegiant - its usually cheaper

4) Allegiant usually does not have multiple flights coming in per day - so if the plane gets
    caneled for weather related or mechanical you will have to wait until the next
    day. Sometimes they send "rescue" planes, but not always. So if you are going on a
    cruise or have something big booked - give yourself a buffer day in case this happens.
    If you are traveling to Florida and your airport has multiple destinations there and they
    have another flight out - they usually will stick you on that other flight if there is space.
    We take cruises out of Florida alot, and always use Allegiant and never fly the same day
    as the cruise, even though we have an early flight into Florida. We always fly the day
    before.

5) Bring on your own snacks and soft drinks, Allegiant allows this.

We fly out of Springfield, MO - Our airport has 5 destinations through Allegiant:

Las Vegas
    Orlando/Sanford
    St. Petersburg
    Phoenix
    Las Angeles

I have flown all the routes except for LAX and I have had great experiences with Allegiant.

I have gotten tickets for as low as $3.95 ea way!!!

I have had one plane delayed 6 hours because of mechanical and they flew us in a "Rescue Plane" and then gave us $75 vouchers and free Pizzas at the airport, and food and drink on the plane.

Our airport makes it possible to take an Allegiant flight from Florida to the west coast because of how the flights are set up. We have many people do this - NOTE: DO NOT CHECK YOUR BAGS - Carry them on, it can take as much as 45 minutes to get your luggage and your can miss your next flight - Allegiant does NOT transfer your luggage, you must go back through the airport and pick it up and then go back through security.

However you can fly from Orlando or St. Pete to Springfield, MO and then to Vegas or LAX for Less than $99 ea way sometimes. INCREDIBLE

I have also used Allegiant to connect to other cities that it does not fly to. For example:

Allegiant to Vegas and then Vegas to Portland, OR on Southwest - Remember to give yourself 2 hours between flights because Allegiant does NOT transfer bags to the other carrier.

Comfort - I have flown many airlines, and unless you are flying and paying for first class, Allegiant has a ton of room. Very comfortable leather seats and lots of head room on the MD-80 - I am 6'0 - 200 and I can tell you I have no problem.

The basic thing to remember here is to use your brain, Allegiant is a discount carrier, no frills, but hey I don't need frills just cheap. I mainly sleep on the plane anyway.

I have flown with them over 50 times, and can tell you they are an excellent carrier.

Its also nice to fly into smaller hubs and leave from my home city, its so much nicer than transferring from OHare or Atlanta and being stuck in the airport overnight because your flight did not make it.

11th of May, 2009

I am RIGHT NOW sitting in McCarran in Las Vegas waiting for a Southwest flight that has run me $1, 000 to get to Portland (5 people) BECAUSE I WAS 43 MINUTES EARLY to the Allegiant counter, not 45 minutes. I easily, EASILY could have made my flight. But I was denied a boarding pass anyway.

Yes, DO NOT BE LATE. Even 1 second late & you will not be allowed to board. People got to another flight right behind us who were less than 60 seconds late, and they were also denied a boarding pass.

NEVER, EVER AGAIN will I fly this LUDICROUS AIRLINE. I am OUT $1, 000 because these ###S. I hope Allegiant goes BROKE.

11th of May, 2009

And DO NOT believe the TONS OF ROOM stuff. 100% BS. I flew Allegiant to Vegas, and it was EASILY the smallest amount of room EVER. It doesn't even seem legal they can pack people in so tight.

I agree with an earlier post, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, and with Allegiant YOU GET CRAP.

NEVER AGAIN.

11th of May, 2009

And I should say that I was late to Allegiant because the Enterprise rental counter was abandoned, so I had to search out someone who could help me figure out what to do, and they told me I had to run back to the car & leave the keys.

But I still BLAME ALLEGIANT. They could have EASILY let me AT LEAST TRY to make my flight. But they STICK SO RIDICULOUSLY to their rules, that they don't even let you try to make it. They said we had NO CHANCE of making it thru securoty on time. BULL! We actually went to Southwest, bought & paid for tickets, AND STILL MADE it to the Allegiant GATE on time. 10 minutes early, in fact. UNBELIEVABLE.

NEVER FLY ALLEGAINT AIRLINES. NEVER AGAIN.

• Hp
      22nd of Aug, 2009

I had a flight scheduled for tonight @ 8:00 p.m. I got there by 7:00 p.m. was given a boarding ticket, they took my bag, and then told me the flight was delayed 4 hours because of mechanical difficulty. I waited 4 hours, then came back @ 11:00 p.m. and my flight had been re-scheduled for the next day @ 10:15 a.m.
    I have yet to take this trip, I'm waiting to see what happens tomorrow morning @ 9:00 a.m. NO ONE was at the Allegiant Air desk to inform me of this decision. A random baggage man helped me figure out that the flight was not going to happen. He then gave me the # to Allegiant to find out where my bags were. Thankfully, the man I spoke to @ Allegiant's 800 number was very courteous, professional, and did all the could. He explained to me the flight had been re-scheduled until tomorrow morning. He was very helpful, HOWEVER, I found it completely shocking that no one was there from Allegiant to tell me the flight was re-scheduled for a 3rd time. 1st time-8:00 p.m. 2nd time-12:00 p.m. 3rd time-Tomorrow @ 10:15 a.m.
    I just hope this happens tomorrow, meanwhile...my hotel is going to bill me for tonight for a room that I haven't even slept in because I made reservations. I'm not pleased thus far, consider what I experienced today VERY unprofessional, but we'll see what happens tomorrow.
    The funny thing is, I never heard of Allegiant before, a friend from work recommended this airlines to me. I found out just yesterday that this "Friend" from work has been complaining to my boss's boss about me not being a team player. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention she started dating someone who was married & has two children. She's 21 and he's 37. Thanks Loser, you give such great advice!

I could of spent and extra 160 dollars and would be with my fiance now as I write this...

Hope tomorrow works out! I'll post more if any difficulties.

• Li
      21st of Sep, 2009

Wow. I'd hate to be on the plane and have to hear, "Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. We know you lead busy lives and all have important places to be but we can't take off just yet because ONE measly, slow-### passenger couldn't be bothered to get to the airport on time. He's just too important to follow the rules so we have to wait while he checks his baggage, goes through security and boards the plane. Sorry about the MAJOR inconvenience and we'll be happy to take off when Mr. All-Too-Important finally arrives on the plane. Have a nice flight."
    Some people are such ###s.

12th of Dec, 2009

I was a passenger of the flight from Laredo to Las Vegas, the fligts where cancelled due to bad weather, while Continental was landing and departing from Laredo EASILY. The flight attendants have terrible customer service, im Mexican but I do speak and understand english 100%, but still the attendant look at me like I was a stupid mexican...

full story:

On Monday December 7, I was supposed to leave at 12:30pm, at 7:00pm after "waiting for the conditions to be better" the flight was delay one day, and everyone had to pay for hotel night. Next day the flight was supposed to leave at 1:45, it depart at 6:00pm, so all that day in Las Vegas was also lost. On Friday December 11 2009, flight depart on time from Las Vegas but like last Monday it had to land on McAllen "due to weather again.." When we arrived at McAllen the weather was as bad as it was last week when we couldnt depart from Laredo. Flights from Continental and other airlines DID land on Laredo that same day!!!

People were really angry about this, and when landing in McAllen everyone was complaining. The corresponsal of Allegiant there, called a cop that to put "order" he wanted to arrest somebody. Everyone was then very quiet and afraid. The cop was going toward a man when he said to him "Do you want to be the first one arrested", the man then said "Hey take it easy we are just talking", but the cop was already angry too. The man's sun stop between his dad and the cop and tried to convinced him to talk, but the cop disagree and push hard the son to get out of his way. Other members of the family intervened and finally the man's son was arrested.

To ammend the cancelled flight, Allegiant offer the customers a bus that will take them to Laredo Intl Airport, but this Bus came all the way from San Antonio TX, then to Laredo (to take the passengers that were going to take the same plane to Las Vegas, to McAllen where the plain was) and last stop would be McAllen!!! During this time, they said that the bus was going to arrive at 7:00pm after arriving McAllen at 1:00pm approx. At 7pm, they said that it was until 10pm that the bus was arriving to pick up us all!!!

For me, "bad weather conditions" fit like the perfect excuse to cover something else, or some problems they have with Laredo Intl Airport that didnt allow them to land. That of course is something we might never know. My advice is to pay some more and to NEVER EVER FLIGHT WITH ALLEGIANT AGAIN!!