[Resolved] Alamoprice switch

In December we rented a vehicle in Kona, Hawaii from Alamo and I wish to share my experience and express my dissatisfaction. To add insult to injury, following our trip, I was contacted by phone for a customer satisfaction survey, and was told that a company representative would contact me. Two weeks later we submitted a complaint to Alamo. We have yet to hear from the company.

My wife and I made the rental car reservation in September through Costco for a Jeep Wrangler or similar. We were vacationing with a senior couple and needed a four door vehicle. The Wrangler is available in both 2 and 4 door models, but to make sure, I called Alamo to confirm that my reservation reflected my need for a 4-door vehicle. This call sounded like it was routed out of the country, and the representative could not say if a 4-door vehicle was available but said she would make a note on my reservation.See the Top 10 Worst Complaints in KailuaKona, HI

When we arrived in Kona, sure enough, a 4-door Jeep was not available. This was in of itself not a problem since both Standard Size Sport/Utility and Full Size Sport/Utility 4-door vehicles were available. The shocking part, was that the representative did not move me to the lower class vehicle (Standard Size Sport/Utility Vehicle) for the same price as my reservation, but instead charged me as though I was making a new reservation! This increased my rental cost for a 10 day rental by $500.

I have never been treated this way by any other car rental company. My last experience with National had me showing up in Seattle this summer only to find that the class of car I reserved was not available. They immediately offered a higher class vehicle and did not change the rates of my reservation.

For Alamo, it was the exact opposite. We showed up and the requested vehicle was not available and we were charged more for a lesser rental! From our perspective this was a classic bait and switch.

Alamo

• Resolution statement

• Alamo Rent A Car Customer Care's Response, Feb 18, 2015

MMEW,
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like to research this further for you. Please send a detailed email to [protected]@alamo.com including the exact rental location, your contact information and telephone number, your rental agreement or reservation numbers and any additional information you would like us know. When emailing, please list reference # [protected] in the subject line.
    Regards,