Complaints & Reviews

never use them

I rented a car by Alamo through a car rental site where my agreement clearly stated that the cost included all the necessary insurance and the first tank of gas. The voucher that I provided upon rental was kept as payment but upon returning the car, the terms of the agreement were dismissed and I was charged $60 for re-filling the gas tank.

Despite indicating the clause on the agreement and refusing to authorize the payment, the Alamo rep proceeded to charge me, said he could do whatever he wanted and then refused to discuss the matter any further, moving on to the next customer and ignoring me.

I will never use Alamo again, this is the second time in a few months that I have either had a problem with my rental, or a complete attitude problem from the representative. Although it may cost me a little more to rent from Dollar, they have always been respectful and helpful and it is well worth the extra money.

As for Alamo, I refuse to pay for rudeness and they can keep their old, haggard cars. Alamo should know that in this day and age where prices are so competitive, one of the key distinguishers is customer service and if this is any example, they'll soon be losing business like crazy.

[Resolved] citation fees I was charged

I rented a car from Alamo in October..Now, all of a sudden I keep getting fees put on my charge card..When I...

auto damage claim scam

Watch out for this car rental. I rented a car for one day from this location and was deliever the car where the guy ran around the car and hand me the rental papers and told me "Your good to go" and ran off. Upon returning the car the next day, the girl checking the car in walked directly to the left rear bumper and said there was a scratch on the bumper. She marked the paper and told me to go inside to the office to file a damage report. The representative at the counter said they would check into prior incidents on this car since there was no way this scratch could've happen with me driving home and back. I never recieve a call back. I called twice more to inquire about status and both representative said they would check into the incident and call back. Never happened. I get a letter in the mail indicating the claim against me for the damage. Upon calling their Insurance rep. back they told me the damage was on the right rear bumper. When I ask about prior incidents, she said it was checked already and there was no incident reported. I still have the signed paper by the check in person indicating the left rear bumper scratch. I have requested photos and repair documents from Alamo, but I won't hold my breath on that.

Chad Sep 19, 2008

I rented a car from Alamo from 9/3/08-9/11/08. I had the work experience ever! They are owned by Enterprise but not close to as good! They didn't say anything about checking for damage on the car at all. I drove the car away and when I got to my location I noticed damage to the car and called them. I talked with the manager at the Tampa Florida airport. She said I will not be charged anything. I brought the car back the guy checking it in noted the damage. I went inside the lady said I won't be charged anything. Well now I'm back home in Oregon where I receive a letter today saying there trying to charge me for the damage! I will never rent from Alamo again!

• Be
    Beca Apr 10, 2010

Yes, just got a letter today saying I owe them $750 for supposed damages to the front bumper. Needless to say, there was none when I returned the car. We rented from Alamo in Kona 3/6/10 till 3/15/10. I thought we had a great price, $215.00 total and even tho the lady at the front counter was very pushy about upgrades and insurance, I politely turned her down. Hell I traveled all day to get there and was exhausted but happy to start my vacation in Hawaii (she wasn't gonna bring me down). The girl that brought us the car even gave us a free upgrade on the car after we turned down the lady at the ticket counter. We were really happy with everything and we did document all scartches and problems with the car. When we returned it the guy said everything looked great. Well I just got a letter today stating all these bogus charges. Its Saturday 4/10 and will not be able to reach them until Monday so I'll be sitting on this all weekend. If anyone has any advise on what to tell them would be helpful. My mother lives in Kona and could go down to get pictures of the car for me becuase I guarentee they never fixed anything. I probably won't check this forum again but my email is [email protected]

• Cn
    cnicholi Jan 05, 2015

I made a reservation 3 months ago and everything was all paid off. All I have to do is pick it up, But it didn't happened my family and I waited for like an hour. And they told us that they cant help us yet and that there's few people ahead of us. First of all they know my family was on the heat! we could've had het stroke were not from Hawaii, second of all my daughter has asthma and we explained to them 2 or 3 more times. Our request was ignored and they continue to do what they were all doing. This people are inconsiderate and unorganized!! people are getting upset! All we hear is just wait!! NEVER AGAIN will I ever rent from this Company.. Bad company.

over charge on car rental

I reserved an economy car from the Washington Reagan Airport from March 11 to March 19 for $9.99 per day plus taxes. My RES number is [protected] and contract ID is 7014163. The economy car turned out to be a two door while I needed a four door. The next size up, a compact, was available with a charge of $35 per day. Since it was late and we were all tired I took the compact car. However, I found a much better rate from one of your competitors, Avis, so I returned the car on March 13. The two day charge was $269.62 which works out to be more than $130 per day, which is more than 3 times the $35 per day I was quoted.

According to your early return rental policy, the charge for an early return should only be $15 per day which means I should have been charged $70 + $30 for two days plus taxes, much less than the $269.62. Please credit my debit card which is on file. Needless to say, I will be telling all my family and friends about the extremely high prices you charge and the lousy customer service I've received. I will also be telling eveyone about the low prices I received from Avis and their good customer service.

charges twice for the same thing

Alamo Car Rental (Pittsburgh, PA) is deceitful. After renting a car for period of one week, they charged me with a parking ticket (not once but twice) that I did not see. The original ticket was $16 but Alamo added another $50 service fees. Then, 20 days later, while I paid the first, they charged me again, this time $77. They refuse to acknowledge they are charging twice for the same thing. I’ve tried to call but Alamo’s policy does not give their customers a way to voice their complaints about these things. Currently, I’ve stopped my credit card payment 3 times with the first two rubber stamped by Alamo that “double dipping” for parking tickets (plus extreme fees) is what they do. Don’t rent from Alamo.

bait and switch and treated poorly

Alamo lied to us and pulled the bait and switch on a recent car rental. Here is the letter that I sent them regarding what happened.

I recently rented a vehicle in Costa Rica from your Liberia location. This was the worst rental experience I have ever had.
I will start off by saying that I made an online reservation for my 4x4 Terios and received a confirmation ( confirmation #[protected]). When I arrived at the location, I was told that they did not have the vehicle I requested, nor did they have any similar vehicles, or other 4x4 vehicles. They gave me the smallest car that they had and said that that was all they could do and they originally said that they were going to charge me the same price for the smaller vehicle. I showed them my reservation form (again) and told them that I had to have a 4x4 for where I was driving and that I wasn't paying the higher price for the smallest car. They finally said that they would drop off the correct vehicle at my hotel that evening. The evening came and went and they didn't show or call. I called them the next morning and went through the same conversation. They said that they still had no vehicles and they weren't sure why nobody called. Then, they said that they had several vehicles coming in and that I should call them that afternoon and request one of them. That afernoon I called and they told me that they had no vehicle for me and that I should talk to the Alamo person that would be at my next hotel from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm (Occidental Grand Papagayo resort) because he had a vehicle for me. I went to the Alamo desk at 2:00 pm that day to find that nobody was there and was told by the hotel staff that the Alamo employee had left early. I immediately called the Liberia location and was told that they would have the employee that works at the Occidental Grand Papagayo drive my vehicle to me in the morning and switch vehicles with me. The next morning I went to the desk at 8:45 am and asked to switch vehicles, but he told me that he didn't drive my vehicle in. He called the Liberia location while I was standing there and told me that there were no vehicles there; however, he would definitely have me by the afternoon. That afternoon I went by the desk again and he told me again that he didn't have my vehicle and he tried to convince me that my small car was adequate for 4 people and all of our luggage and that I didn't need a larger 4x4 vehicle. I thought this was absolutely crazy. The next morning I arrived at the desk again and was told again that he didn't have my vehicle. Finally, that afternoon, they brought the correct vehicle. We missed three days of travel because of the fact that we didn't have a vehicle that we could travel in. I notified the staff of this upon check out, but they didn't seem to care.
Your staff lied to us repeatedly and deceived us and they were unwilling to help us resolve the issue. In the end, I paid the bill for a car that we could not use for 3 days.

Mauricio Mino Apr 21, 2008

I had an aughful experience on early april with alamo. I traveled from Quito, EC to Miami Fl and arrived at the airport offices at 2.00 am. I had pre-payed for 2 standard Size SUV. I was with my family and i had chosen the suvs for the confort and space they represent, not that i have to explain my choices.
    I arrived to the alamo offices, and after a 1 hour line, i find out that my cars werent there and that they had not reserved them. I waited for more than an hour and finally they gave two van instead of my suvs. Those cars are unbelievably unconfortable, plus they were completely dirty (abnoxius). They gave me the cars, without having them cleaned nor taken care with small things as water in the windshield wiper tank. Plus, the manager was completely closed minded and with no attitud toward finding a solution what so ever. That night i went to Orlando and it was the worst experience ever.

Im stil waiting for an answer from Alamo.

Mauricio Mino.

Contract Number S00031p3

• Ba
    Bastiaan Aug 26, 2009

Similar experience with Alamo in Fort Lauderdale in May 2008. Had reserved a compact online. On airport pick-up they claimed no compacts available. Wanted us to pay upgrade to a large SUV or convertible. Insistently declined, and did eventually succeed in getting a small SUV for the same price as the compact. My partner and I are not easily pushed as customers...many people probably would have given in to these tactics. We probably spent 45 minutes late in the evening, after a long day of travel, dealing with this unnecessary situation. Will never rent through Alamo again, and, as I work in the tourism accommodation sector, will advise any clients of this experience.

rental agreement swap!

Watch out for Alamo Auto Rental on Kauai. Week of Feb 19 - 26, 2008. They run a scam on extended insurance...

bogus damage!

I have had 2 bad experiences with Alamo regarding damage. The first occurred in W. Palm Beach in the spring...

[Resolved] oversells then overcharges!

We arrived on Saturday afternoon at Orlando Airport and had a reservation for a compact car from Alamo Rental Car. The price of the rental was $108.00, I also prepaid for a full tank of gas which for the compact car was $30.00. We were staying at one of the Disney resorts so would not be driving more than about a 100 miles in total, but the $30.00 was worth it to not have to stop and fill up on the way back to the airport. When we got to the area to pick up the car there were about 2 dozen people waiting and there were no compact cars left... a gentleman was directing people to other vehicles and we were told to just take a Chrysler Pacifica and go... we thought wow, what a great rental company..they oversell but don't hold people up because of it. At the Orlando airport when you pickup the vehicle you go through exit stations where they record the license plate of the vehicle and check your paperwork. The gentleman there said not a word and we were on our way.

When we returned the vehicle after only having driven it a grand total of about 80 miles (3/4 tank still full), we were shocked to learn that the prepaid gas cost was $80.00. When I complained to they guy checking in the car he said that that was the cost to fill up a chrysler pacifica. He said to go see the manager in the booth. This guy was really bad (talk about crappy customer service). When I told him that you oversold and GAVE me a larger car and that I would not pay $80.00 for the gas he looked me straight in the face and said "Oh! Yes you will". When I again said I had reserved a compact car not the Pacifica he said "But you enjoyed that Pacifica!". Oh My... are you kidding me - you forced it on me. Then he said you were going to prepay anyway, I said yes but for $30 because that was convenient for me, not $80... I asked for a customer service 800 number and walked away. When I called the 800 number from the airport lounge I found out he gave me a bogus 800 number...

I found the real number myself and even their corporate customer care was unwilling to adjust the prepaid cost...

I eventually resolved it through my credit card company... but I will never rent from Alamo again... what a scam... offer great rates on compacts, oversell and force a larger vehicle on the unsuspecting consumer and then tell them they enjoyed it and would have to pay for it!!! ARRRGGGHHH!

RESOLVED

• Alamo Rent A Car's response · Dec 02, 2014

Vincent Delgado, customer service and satisfaction are very important to us at Alamo. I would like to follow up with you. Please email me at [email protected] with the complete details, exact renting location, and any rental agreement numbers. Please reference #141202-003032. I look forward to hearing from you soon, thank you. Chris, Social Monitoring Coordinator, Alamo Rent-A-Car

• Co
    Concerned Citizen Apr 23, 2008

Alamo is great!! The customer service is amazing especially at St.Pete/Clearwater Airport. The employees there are so nice and helpfull with anything the customer needs. I seriously recommend PIE Alamo if traveling in the Tampa Bay area.

Marinus Griesdoorn Oct 17, 2008

People beware. Alamo is a big scam. They will rip you off, one way or another. They stole a $100 from me. Pay a few dollar more and go to another, but professional, company,

Just say no to alamo.

charged $100 more than the next guy

I recently took a trip and had a friend do the same trip, while planning, I turned him onto Alamo for our SUV rentals. We both made the reservation, for the exact time because we were on the same flights, staying at the same place. We picked up the cars, IDENTICAL, even same color. Later I learn that he was charged $100.00 less than I even though we had the exact rental pick up and drop off, same car etc. So I call Alamo, and they could care less, even after I turned someone else onto their business, giving them a customer who usually rents through another company.

I find their customer service the worst possible and besides a crabby person on the phone who more or less simply said too bad, even though I was extremely polite and nice on the phone about the issue.

rate is crazy changed for changing drop off location

I reserved a car picking up and returning SF airport. However, my flight was changed and I had to change returning to Oakland airport. Charge was changed from original $194.00 to $1229.00. I called Alamo twice, the repersentatives said the charge is Time & Distance, and refused to adjust the rate and refund me. I email to their customer service and was told I will receive a reply in 24 hours but I received nothing.

• Ev
    Everette A Singleton Dec 11, 2007

I used to work for a car rental co before and believe you me that that don't really care where the car is delivered, because that agency that received the car will just clean it up and rent it out that same night. car rental companies really don't even care what type of car it is as long as the customer is happy. Most companies have gotten ride of the mini compact cars anyway because there too hard to have on location. Even if a company promass a compact car, if they don't have it on hand at the time of the rental they will give you a mid size car, and yes, you guest it most people don't complain about getting a larger car for less money.

alamo early return policy can triple your costs!

Alamo has a clever way to double or triple the bill of unsuspecting customers. Over the web, I arranged to rent a car from Alamo for 5 days and received a special weekly rate of $149. My return plans changed and I had to return the car on the fourth day. I fully expected to pay the entire $149 as I agreed and wasn't looking for a pro-rated charge - in fact the confirmation email states that early returns on special weekly rates are not entitled to a proportionate refund. Fine. What I wasn't expecting was that for returning the car *early* my bill jumped from $149 to $288. When you return a car early Alamo considers the contract specifying the special weekly rate to be terminated and instead charges you its default daily rate. Although this claus apparently exists deep in the rental agreement, there was no mention of this in my confirmation email and the when I rented the car the rental agent only mentioned a $15 early return fee, nothing about doubling my bill. When you rent a house at the beach for a week and decide to leave on Friday instead of Saturday, do you expect to pay double for leaving early?

I've tried to figure out any coherent rationale for a company treating its customers like this and can think of none.
As a footnote, after one angry exchange with a customer service rep who scolded me that it is my "responsibility to read the contract" (maybe I need to bring my attorney next time) and a second follow up call, Alamo did agree to charge me only the original weekly rate.

See http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18964550 for another story on the same topic.

Mary Hayden Nov 29, 2007

It is hard to see any other rationale for this than Alamo is trying to gouge unsuspecting customers who have to change their travel plans at the last minute(imagine that!) I say give your business to another company who will treat you fairly!

CarlosIgnacioC Jun 20, 2009

Alamo: Always a hidden Fee.
    Between May 10th and may 24th 2009, I rented a Ford Focus throw a travel agency in Costa Rica, from where I come from (turhokeanos.co.cr) ALL INCLUSIVE in Orlando FL.
    Every thing was OK, until they charge an extra $123.53 "Carefree Personal Protection" (CPP) which I NEVER Ask for.
    Seems to be that the rental agent at the Orlando International Airport decided I needed such insurance, she never ask me, just printed the recceipt and make me sign.
    If I bought an ALL INCLUSIVE PACAGE to the travel agency, why I will need an additional CPP???? And I told her: give only what is included in my reservation.
    What I think is, she is getting a great commission selling extras the customers don´t ask, don't need and don't know are paying.
    First and last time I ever rent a car with ALAMO.

• Av
    avirockzfly May 20, 2011

###ing ###s stealing the forgotten things and claiming that they found nothing...

• Ru
    Runnergrl Jun 26, 2018

And they charge you per hour for 'late returns'. I will never rent from Alamo Car Rental again! Very poor Customer Service.

• Ru
    Runnergrl Jun 26, 2018

rented a car on June 21, 2018, through June 25, 2018, through My contract stated the cost at $100.71, I was billed $130.00. I was told that I kept the car 2 hours over. Well, the car was kept 2 hours over because the Rental Car would NOT START. We call the Roadside Service number. I spoke to the Customer Service we were told that 'Due to high call volume they would call us back'. I explained to her that we were in 98-degree temperatures in an empty stadium parking lot. We NEVER received a CALLBACK!! Luckily a friend that we were traveling with happens to drive over looking for a restroom. He gave us a jump start. Needless to say, I will NEVER rent from Alamo Car Rental again!! Alamo Car Rental has piss poor Customer Service all around, period.

poor customer service

I booked a car for 2 days and 1 hour online, at 66 dollars. Returned the car on the 2nd day at 11pm. So i returned the car earlier. after 2 days, i see a charge of 174 dollars from Alamo on my credit card bill!!

I called the customer service line. Spoke to a representative Anita. Before i could say anything, she started yelling at me for no reason. I keep on repeating myself saying "can you let me speak for 1 second so i can tell you what i need" She does not let me and was continue talking over me. Then she said "if i want to call you a ###, i can call you a ###, nobody tells me how i do my job!" Then i asked to speak to her manager. She told me that i don't get to talk to her manager, and she just hung up on me.

I called back and asked for her Manager. Her manager Jone Hayes says he does not believe that Anita said these things. I said "if you guys record all of the calls, then you can play it back and you will know" he said "no we dont record our calls!" i said " then how can you say you know she didnt say these things".

Anyhow, after all, they still didnt credit back my money, and instead charged me for 3 days!!! of 90 bucks just because the manager said Anita is his friend?!?!..and don't want to tell me the name of the real manager of Anita. So all this time i was talking to?!?!...who?!?!

• Cy
    Cynde Mar 11, 2008

I have heard so many customer service complaints about this company. I will never deal with them again.

extremely poor customer service

I rented a van from Alamo at the Boise Airport on September 18 and returned it on September 27. I feel I received extremely poor service from Alamo employees in that office two times.

The first incident was when I picked the car up. I phoned Alamo a few days before my arrival, informed them that we were traveling with two handicapped people who had a wheelchair and a scooter. I asked what type of vehicle would pick us up at the airport - or whether it would be possible to pick up a car right at the airport without taking a shuttle - because it is impossible to get the wheelchair and scooter up the steps of some rental car shuttles. I was told that they did not have any type of accommodations for handicapped travelers and the rentalvan could not be picked up at the airport. She said that one person in our party would have to take the shuttle to pick up the van, and then drive back to the airport to pick up the rest of our party.

At the airport (after 18 hours of travel with no food and no sleep) I waited 45 minutes in 50 degree temperature that I hadn't planned on or dressed for, and pouring rain, before I was picked up. I had to go back into the terminal twice to call and inquire about my pick up, which I was told should be in about 5 minutes. I went back and forth to the phone in the terminal in a wheelchair, whith great difficulty.

When I was finally picked up, it was in a large SUV that would easily have accommodated our entire party, our luggage and mobility equipment but there was no time to go into the terminal and get everyone. When I arrived at the Alamo office, the man there informed me that he had no idea why I wasn't told what type of vehicle we'd be picked up in, or that I could have rented a van from National and picked it up right at the airport. It would have saved me a great deal of time and trouble if I'd been correctly informed when I asked.

The second incident of very poor service was on September 26. My mother was not familiar with automatically locking doors, and she tossed the key to the van onto the car seat and closed the van door. The doors all locked, with the keys, my scooter, my mother's wheelchair, our purses, wallets, cell phone and jackets inside the van.

I have multiple sclerosis and can't walk more than a few steps without assistance. My mother is elderly and has severe arthritis and tremors, and is less mobile than I am. With our limited mobility we could not walk far to look for help. I managed to walk with extreme difficulty to a pay phone, which was out of order. It took about 45 minutes to find a park maintenance worker who let us use his cell phone. At this point my mother and I and two young children had already been outside at the park for about 4 hours.

I informed the man who answered at Alamo that they keys were locked in the van. I told him that we were two handicapped women and two young children; and that my purse and cell phone were in the van so he wouldn't be able to call me back, and that our mobility equipment was also locked in the van. He first told me we would need to come to the airport in a taxi to pick up a spare key. I told him that would be very difficult for us, so he said he would bring a spare key to us. He said he was leaving right away and would be there shortly, we were approximately ten minutes from the airport.

Two hours passed with no one showing up. I tried repeatedly to use a pay phone, which was a very long walking distance for me, considering my limited mobility. We finally found someone who was willing to let us use her cell phone. This time the woman who answered at Alamo informed me that they do not have a spare key to the van at all! She said it was my fault that they keys were locked in the van, that they had called me back and left a message on my cell phone - which I had already informed them was locked in the van - and that was then end of their responsibility as far she she was concerned.

She then asked if I would like to have the number of the locksmith that they use, which I would have to pay for myself. Seeing no other choice, I took the number of the locksmith and called him. He was there in less than ten minutes and had the van open a few minutes later.

I am wondering, first, what would have happened if we had taken a taxi to the Alamo office, as the Alamo employee instructed me to do, only to find out that they do not have a spare key at all? How would we have paid the taxi driver, with my wallet still locked in the van? And second, why didn't the Alamo employee, after promising me that he was on his way to open the van, call the locksmith immediately and send them to help us? He was aware of our situation, which was somewhat desperate and getting worse by the hour, especially as the evening got cooler and we had no jackets. By the time we finally got into the van we had been outside more than 6.5 hours without food or water.

• Fe
    Felipe Gonzalez Apr 04, 2007

I have rented a car March 25th in Miami Airport for 10 days for $378. Because my trip was shorter than was expected I returned the car in 7 days. What was my surprise when I receive the bill for $528. They explain that "The System" apply a new rate when the car are returned earlier and there is nothing they can do. Very good deal for them: they charge additional $150 and have the car available for other customers. THIS IS AN ABUSE!!! BE AWARE OF ALAMO BEHAVIOR!!!

• Mc
    M. C. May 04, 2007

I too just received a bill for an alamo rental, I was leaving chicago, IL Thursday 4/26 and returning it Friday evening to Ann Arbor, MI. When I made the reservation I was quoted 16o something which was fine with me. When I received the bill they said that I made the reservation for 3 hours, anyone in the midwest knows that it is physically impossible to make to Ann Arbor MI from Chicago IL in 3 hours. I work in the financial district in Chicago, IL, with some pretty wealthy travel oriented co-workers and clientelle. They/I will never ever ever use ALAMO again and hope that anyone who reads this knows that they are a scam.

• Mc
    M. C. May 04, 2007

There is a person in customer service named Jennifer who claims she is the only Jennifer in customer service at ALAMO. She was aggressive and rude and I would advise anyone renting a car not to use ALAMO. THEY ARE A SCAM!!! They charged me 180 dollars more than they quoted me. BE ADVISED.

Reed Fredericks Jul 20, 2007

Just like any other travel industry company, they will quote the best available price at the time of reservation for the use of service length. When you start changing things - pickup date, return date, return location, rental length, etc. - you should expect a change in the quote. Try changing something on Priceline.com and see how far you'll get. Try changing you hotel stay dates and see if the price will change. If your boss asks you to come in for 8 hours on Saturday, won't ask for overtime?

A little advise, ask the rental agent if there are any restrictions or requirements and read the rental agreement. I've seen the contracts. It's a one-pager. Even if you don't have time to read it at the rental counter, you should be able to read it before you leave the parking lot.

• Te
    Terry Reece Sep 27, 2007

I recently booked and prepaid a Mustang 6 cylinder car to drive from Orlando to Maimi and was told that I had no choice but to drive a 4 cylinder PT Cruiser which is a very low powered car of poor build. I asked to be given a car of sufficient performance to handle a 250 mile drive on freeways to Maimi but was told it was the 4 cylinder car or nothing. This is fraud to provide an inferior product at the same price as a premium product with no alternative option.

CarlosIgnacioC Jun 20, 2009

Alamo: Why Charge me a hidden Fee?

Between May 10th and may 24th, 2017, I rented a Ford Focus through a travel agency in Costa Rica, from where I come from (turhokeanos.co.cr) with ALL INCLUSIVE in Orlando Florida.
    Every thing was fine, until they charge an extra $123.53 "Carefree Personal Protection" (CPP) which I NEVER order.
    Seems to be that the rental agent at the Orlando International Airport decided that I needed such insurance, but she never ask me for that, the only thing she said was: do you need a GPS in Spanish? I answered: I don’t need a GPS in Spanish. And she printed the receipt and made me sign with my initials.
    If I bought an ALL INCLUSIVE PACAGE to the travel agency, why I will need an additional CPP???? And I told her: give me only what is included in my reservation.

What I think is, she is getting a great commission, selling "extras" that customers don't order, don't need and don't know are paying.

Let me ask you: Will be the First and last time, I ever rent a car with ALAMO??
    Alamo: don’t take advantage of honest and hard working people, give my money back.

• Mi
    MikeKramer Nov 29, 2009

Left my Handi-Capped tag in car upon Rental return Nov3, 2017 at the Kahului Airport. Went to their web site and filled out a Lost Item report. Had one and only one response from a Bianca on Nov 5 at 621pm PST. in their Customer "No Care" Care Dept. She stated that the complaint was forwarded to her for handling. Haven't heard from her since. I e-mailed her back and NO Response! I guess their Care Dept is a Corporate No Care Dept. I am in need of my Handi-cap tag and they won't even respond to my report. How shameful. Michael K. Washington State.

• Xa
    Xandor Tik'Roth Aug 09, 2010

Reed... Thank you. Any changes made to a reservation or a rental agreement could/can/will cause the prices to fluctuate.

There IS, in fact, a legitimate reason that this happens, though. Say, for the sake of argument, that Miami had 20 cars to their name. Now, lets say that they rent out all 20 of those cars, yours being one of them, over the next week. You pick up your car on 3/25 and go on your merry way. Then, 4/1 rolls around and you realize that you no longer need the car.

Here's where the price change comes into play.

The guy that needed the car on 4/4 just got screwed because you returned your car early. Now, because you've returned your car 3 days early, Alamo is going to lose revenue because the guy coming in on 4/4 is probably going to be a little pissed about not having his car available.

So:

Best case scenario, one of those 20 people either cancels their reservation, doesn't show up, or returns their vehicle earlier than they expected to.

Worst case scenario, all 20 people are in to pick up their cars on time, pay their dues, and the guy on 4/4 is now stuck in Miami with no car, and, in all likelihood, really annoyed/pissed because he's not going to be able to make that business meeting/he's got small children with him/whatever and now the Alamo counter associate gets to handle that bundle of joy.

Incidentally, the next time that your rental agency of choice doesn't have your car available, chances are that the worst case scenario happened somewhere along the line.

• St
    Stephen G Mar 09, 2011

I called international reservations to book a car from london airport.was told to book it then it would be cheaper.i ask if the insurance was incl. i was told yes total price would be 606.00 american money. got to airport add. 260.00 was charged for ins. i was told it was inclued was told only if i came there and made res.but i was told to book it on phone and ins. was incl.but they said ins would be 260.00 for 6 days.i had no choice but sign for it.so when i complained to cust.service i was called a lie and said that it was never discussed.they said the conversation i had with agent i never mentioned ins. there you go if you can book with another car rental please do.

totally worst car service!

Pick-up car from airport in Las Vegas, rented 7 nites, parked in hotel first two nites. Third day, used car, found had a nail in tire? Don't they check everything on car before renting again??? Call Alamo, requested they come to replace with a good tire, they told me we don't do tires?that I support to take it to get it repair. I said, I paid for a good, working car not to take it to have a service. I'm on vacation, spend half day to get repair on tire. I don't think Alamo know how to do business, I paid for a GOOD WORKING CAR, with NO PROBLEMS!!! If I do have problems, they SHOULD DO ALL TO HELP ASAP. NOT SAY SOMETHING DIFFERENT and Do NOTHING!!! I don't advice anybody to rent from ALAMO. I WON"T DO ANY BUSINESS WITH ALAMO EVER AGAIN> I ALSO WILL TELL ALL FRIENDS AND CO-WORKERS, ITS MANY IN CORP WORLD .

• Al
    alba crdn Apr 05, 2010

i totally agree with you!!!

fraud and cheating!

We rented a car in Houston Tx, we went over the car for damages and were documented in their handheld computer, upon returning the car the alamo rep stated there was a dent to the front bumper, my husband stated is was documented in the handheld and rep said oh yea its here. My husband finished and we left for the airport. 1 mo later we received a bill from vangaurd stating there is damage on the car and when my husband called it was the same dent documented then they say it was a windshield crack, which was not there upon return. We will never rent from alamo again and when we do rent we will have a signed release from any rental company. What a scam...

Alamo: Why are you Charging me a hidden Fee?

Between May 10th and may 24th, 2009, I rented a Ford Focus through a travel agency in Costa Rica, from where I come from (turhokeanos.co.cr) with ALL INCLUSIVE in Orlando Florida.

RA# 417108288 RES#449348689 Contract ID S00208NK

alamo is not an honest company

I have booked a car for 4 days from Alamo through the Internet, to be picked up at Raleigh-Durham airport. The charge is around $130 total. It is a good rate and the cheapest that I could find on the internet. On the day of the pick-up, I arrived at the rental counter 1/2 hour early because of early flight arrival. I was surprised to learn that they would charge me $30 more for picking up 1/2 hour early, saying that that's how the computer works and there is nothing they could do about it. I then decided to wait 30 minutes to pick up my car. During the 3o-minute waiting time, I heard 2 other customers who wanted to change their rental time slightly and were being charged outrageous prices on top of the original prices. After I finished signing the rental agreement, I wanted to test how Alamo would respond to a normal situation. I asked what would be the additional charge if I return the car 2 hours later the original booking time. The agent behind the counter said he did not know and the computer would not show. He said the only way to find out was to return it 2 hours later than the agreed time and the computer would then show what it would be. That's sounded so ridiculous because if I could book via the internet by talking to their computer, why couldn't their computer tell me the late charges. I do not like the eerie feeling of being charge an unknown outrageous amount.

When I stepped out of the rental office, I made a remark to another Alamo customer that Alamo is scamming its customers. He said he had the same feeling. He and I both said it would be our last time doing business with Alamo.

RA# 417108288 RES#449348689 Contract ID S00208NK

bad way of doing business

Alamo Car Rental at the Miami Airport location.
3355 Nw.22nd St. Rd.
Miami, Fl 33142

I rent cars a lot and from Alamo. When I say a lot I have hundreds of weekly rentals with Alamo and I use the same location every time. Since I rent so much I do not take the optional insurance, prepay for gas or upgrade the car for an additional fee.

Alamo employees make commission when the add on any of the above services. If a customer does not add any extras they are called a D.

Which means no commission is being made on that customer with that rental.

Alamo employees know me by now and when they see me they walk away from the counter so not to help me. I get treated rude at times and they add fees to my rentals to punish me for not adding any extra options.

The last straw was when a rental agent made me wait for 3 hours, canceled my reservation and call the manager and said I was harassing him.

I wrote a letter complaining about my treatment, I was told he was wrong and they reprimanded him , but that incident cost me time and because he canceled my reservation I had to pay extra and bring the car back the next day to correct what he did.

I recently started renting for Enterprise Rent A Car and the service is much better but on August 1st 2007 Alamo purchased Enterprise. I hope they do not take on Alamo's way of doing business.

This is my Quick Silver id with proof of all my rentals.

Qs782634871. Quick silver

Curtis

• Mi
    Mike Crouse Sep 13, 2007

I also rented a vehicle from Alamo Car rental. I rented in Tampa where they would not allow me to upgrade to Escalaide or Suburban as I was returning car to Miami. Did not realize your company was that small that you would miss one vehicle.

I was willing to pay.

When returning car to Miami I was not able to fill car up with gas due to local gas station was not open at 5:00 am. When I told the Mexican guy this and that there was still 3/4 of a tank in truck he then charged me 97.00 for 14 gallons of gas. He did not even check the vehicle to see how much gas was required.
    This amounts to prices beyond loan sharking.

When I was paying my bill inside due to no one working outside when I was asked if I needed a receipt and I indicated that I did, he told me to walk down to the end of the counter and get it myself, rather than getting of his ### and doing his job.

I rent vehicles 10 months of the year, and needless to say that will be the last time with Alamo and National as they are related.

I would highly suggest to any body renting cars to avoid these two companies as this is not the first time I have been treated poorly by this company.

Not sure where they get off with this attitude with the number of car rental options available.

Mike Crouse

unauthorized insurance charges

I rented a car from Alamo at the T F Green Airport in Rhode Island. I made an electronic reservation for the car, a GPS device for the week, and on my E-reservation chose NOT to have insurance coverage since I am covered by my own insurance. When I arrived to pick up the car, I was asked three separate times if I wanted coverage, and three times I emphatically refused. Since I was in a line with several other people, the sales person whipped the document across the counted and said, "initial here, here, sign here," and so I did. He then printed out a receipt, stuck it in the rental folder and directed me to the car lot. It was only later that I noted that the document included a charge of $160.00 for insurance. Every call to Alamo has met with the same response: you signed, therefore it's a legal document. However, this is clearly fraud which takes advantage of a rushed situation where people are travel-weary, hurried, and interested in completing the rental transaction. They are running a scam which relies of people's inattention to 'legal' documents.

Reed Fredericks Jul 20, 2007

I've been there. A rental agent would try to push insurance or something else they're selling and I'd say, "NO", and they'd try to get me to quickly sign the contract since there was such a long line behind me. The difference between you and me is, I look at the big bold number on the page that states the total. If it doesn't match what I expected, I let 'em have it.

You're not a kid anymore, be an adult and take responsibility for what you sign. If you're stupid enough to sign for something you don't want then you should be stuck paying for it. I got a bridge for sell if you just sign on the dotted line...

John hong Nov 11, 2007

I have the same situation just like this. This is happened to me in Orlando Airport on 06-Nov-2007, you say not is not not enough, the trick they play is to rush you to sigh the paper without explanation. They quaintly highlighted the insurance and ask you to sign there. If you do not read line carefully and you will be scammed. When you found out, it is legally contract. That is how they make money from you. If this is the way they make money, Who knows what that insurance really covered, if something really happened to that car, you have to pay for the lost.
    Does anyone know where can I file a complaint to let them fix this issue?

• Ji
    Jim Harper Feb 07, 2008

Watch out for Alamo Auto Rental on Kauai. They run a scam on extended insurance coverage. After the agent asked if I wanted the extended coverage, which I did not, and I initialed the 3 to 4 "I decline" coverage lines, and sign the rental agreement, they quickly swamped forms. I asked to have a copy of what I just signed, the agent refused saying “it’s ok this copy will be on file, please sign this one other form.” I felt the agent was a credible person of a credible company, so I blindly initialed. When I returned the car, I was surprised to learn the last form actually stated I “accept all additional coverage.” I asked to see the manager. The manager was rather harsh in greeting me with “this is your signature, right?” I asked to see my original. They said it was sent to corporate. I asked for their number. They refused to give it to me until I gave them the rental agreement in my hand, which was the version they swap. Therefore, I gave it to them to copy. It was right after they had a copy that I realized they would show this swap agreement as the original. I grabbed the copy, but as soon as I had the copy, the agent loudly said “give us back our original!” At that time I knew it was not a single occurrence and the whole place was in on the scam.

• St
    Stargazer57 May 15, 2010

I've just been forced by Alamo to buy Extended Protection at Savannah Airport. The Agent said it was a requirement of Georgia State Law and that she would not let me have the car without it. I feel stupid but I'm from the UK and can't be expected to know the details of each state's law. Surely I am entitled to expect that the Agent will not tell me a point blank lie.

• Rv
    rv123 Apr 20, 2011

I rented a car from Alamo at the T F Green Airport in Rhode Island. I made an electronic reservation for the car, a GPS device for the week, and on my E-reservation chose NOT to have insurance coverage since I am covered by my own insurance. When I arrived to pick up the car, I was asked three separate times if I wanted coverage, and three times I emphatically refused. Since I was in a line with several other people, the sales person whipped the document across the counted and said, "initial here, here, sign here, " and so I did. He then printed out a recept, stuck it in the rental folder and directed me to the car lot. It was only later that I noted that the document included a charge of $160.00 for insurance. Every call to Alamo has met with the same response: you signed, therefore it's a legal document. However, this is clearly fraud which takes advantage of a rushed situation where people are travel-weary, hurried, and interested in completing the rental transaction. They are running a scam which relies of people's inattention to 'legal' documents.

• Fs
    fseguy Feb 04, 2013

why don't people just simply call, and ask for a police to attend if this is possible at the time. And state that the rental agent is committing a scam explain the situation to the officer, and see what can be done to rectify, and have on record this situation taking place. As well you need to read the total cost, and sign the document, and just take a copy of it yourself without giving the agent the chance to screw you over.

took money from my account without authorization

I gave my bank details through alamo secure web site, and before i submitted i changed my mind and now after month i receive bank statement with 200 pound transaction has been made thats make me crazy dont now how to get back that money from them.

Reed Fredericks Jul 20, 2007

Here a copy of text straight from their website::

For reservation inquiries and updates please contact [email protected] Or you can go to Rates & Reservations to check for availability and rates.

For technical issues or feedback on the site, please contact [email protected]

For correspondence related to service and billing inquiries. Please include reservation or rental agreement number whenever possible. [email protected]

Reservations 0870 400 4562
    Internet Help Desk 0870 400 4564
    Customer Relations 0845 120 2071
    Main Switchboard 08705 565656

• Be
    Beagle76 Feb 24, 2010

Subject: Defrauded after renting a car from Alamo International, Barcelona Spain - Car Rental in Barcelona Spain

BUYER BEWARE! I made a reservation thru Alamo for a compact car in Barcelona Spain. The total charge for my rental should have been $199 (including a GPS unit I rented at the airport for 21 euro). Upon my return from Spain, I discovered three separate charges from Alamo on my credit card statement totaling $65 in overcharges.

After several conversations with a rude and inefficient customer service department, I decided to have the overcharges reversed by my credit card company. Based on this experience and the other reviews I have now read, I will NEVER again go back to Alamo or National (they seem to be affiliated). Hope this review will help someone out there avoid the heartaches that this business can cause by their poor practices. Absolutely the worst rental car company I have utilized.