Alamo / rental car damage scam
The following is basically how I complained to the Better Business Bureau:
I recently rented from Alamo rental car in MN on March 15th, 2009 and returned it the evening of March 22nd, 2009. I had no problems with the rental car nor was there any damage done to the rental car. I parked it in the return area for rental cars at the Duluth Airport where I rented the car. The return went without incident. To my surprise, I just received a letter dated April 7th, 2009 stating that there was some unspecified "damage" done to the car which they don't want to document until they receive payment. Their claim number [protected]-EXAM. The letter states that I am to send insurance information to an address in Tulsa, OK to their damage recovery department.
This is a scam letter. It could be the corporation scamming as I did not incur any damage to the vehicle.
It could be an employee scam as some of the details seem to be correct--dates, etc. which suggest someone had access to the database to come up with this.
It could be some kind of hacker scam which obtained information through Alamo's database. The reason I believe this is possible is that the logo on the letter looks not well defined, there is a typo in it and they are asking for information that Alamo probably has already. Also, there are recent complaints I've seen from other Alamo customers posted on the Internet who received this type of letter and then call the company to find there is no record of this complaint.
Further, the payment address for the damage recovery department is listed as one in Atlanta on the bottom of the letter and one in Tulsa (PO Box 22300, Tulsa, OK [protected]) on the return envelope.
So, if this is a scam being perpetrated by Alamo, I'm complaining about that to the BBB. If it's someone else--employee or hacker--everyone be aware that this is happening. It may not be Alamo's doing (outside of having bad data security).
More Alamo Complaints & Reviews
- [Resolved] Alamo Car Rental - citation fees I was charged 
- [Resolved] Alamo Damage Recovery Unit - charges for damages we did not cause 
- Alamo Rent A Car - alamo early return policy can triple your costs! 
- Alamo Rental Car - bogus damage! 
- Alamo Rent A Car - rate is crazy changed for changing drop off location 
- Alamo Rent A Car - cancelled
- Alamo Rent A Car - car rental
- Alamo Rent A Car - overpayment
- Alamo Rent A Car - payment not received, and unethical behaviour at miami airport office
- Alamo Rent A Car - service at shreveport airport and customer service