Air France / Stolen items from locked luggage

1 New York, NY, United States Review updated:

My daughter flew with Air France from Copenhagen, Denmark to JFK International Airport in New York, USA, on Thursday, August 13. Her luggage was locked with a TSA luggage lock when checked into the care of Air France at Copenhagen airport. It was still locked when picked up at JFK. On Thursday, August 20, she discovered that several items were missing from the suitcase. I, her mother, recieved that notice late Thursday night. The next day, on Friday, August 21, I filed a complaint to Air France over the internet, including a list of lost items and claiming monetary compensation at a value of USD 102. The following day I recieved the reply: Since I did not submit my claim within 7 days, Air France does not agree to my claim.<br />
<br />
It's a scandal in itself that customers checking their luggage into the care of Air France can be subject to theft obviously performed by airport personel while that piece of luggage is checked in and out of control of the owner. <br />
<br />
It's extremely annoying that Air France does not take responsibility for the incident for more than 7 days. Not even when special circumstances apply, like when the theft was discovered after 7 days, though due to a time zone difference of 7 hours between my daughter and me, it was submitted with a 1 day delay, adding up to 8 days after baggage delivery.<br />
<br />
I think Air France are in more need for happy customers than they realize themselves. Today they just lost five customers, since we're a family of five.

Comments

• Dl
      22nd of Aug, 2009

Im sure you just caused them to go bankrupt.

• Me
      22nd of Aug, 2009

I'm sure Air France thinks that giving you 7 days is long enough! How long does it usually take to unpack your luggage? Did she have that much stuff? I understand stuff was missing but still, that's why you check out your stuff ASAP!

• Re
      7th of Sep, 2009

I just had items stolen from my bag, discovered it when unpacking, and I am sure they will treat me no better than AMWaldman's daughter. I have started lodging the complaint- to see how they will respond.

And my, are they rude, especially on long haul flights. Once I was really in pain, asked one of the stewardesses if I could have a paracetamol. She said, really redude "Madam, now I am not serving paracetamol, now I am serving coffee". The nerve. It took me ages to get a response from them, and it was the most half-hearted one I ever heard. Best thing to do, is don't fly Air France!