Afni Inc. / VERIZON BILL

1 Camarillo, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 805-383-9994

Today I found a collection in my credit report from a collection agency called Afni, Inc. alleging I owed $50.00 from 6 years ago - 2002. Verizon has provided my phone service for the past 10 years and I don't believe I have ever missed a payment. They never once mentioned I owed them a cent from 1998 and even I overpaid my bills to an even dollar amount. I had no problem ever with Verizon. in 2005 when I received the letter of collection from AFNI I contacted them, When I called Afni, Inc, a particularly rude young female told me she wasn't interested in anything I had to say, while I was asuring her that Verizon conferm that I owe nothing other than the last bill, And if there was any charge it would appear in my regular statement during the period AFNI Inc. claiming [protected] ) with no exact date. Also at least my telephone service would affected if I have any unpaid charges, while the same line and same company. So with her mean way of communicating I hung up and disregard the collection claim as advised by Verison. Now about 4more years they came back and hurt my credit report. I totaly disagree to pay off any false claim even if it's only One dollar.
I'm sending this complaint because I'm sure that I feel I'm not the only one. I hope you can take the right action to protect myself and the public from these fraudulant acts.

Joseph Gabra
12/2/2008

Comments

• 8a
      5th of Mar, 2009

My story is the same as all the others.. AFNI sent me a notice for a wireless phone bill from 6 years ago. I did not believe it was my account. When I asked them to verify the debt they sent some vague, cobbled together 'statement'. They were unable to provide my original billing address, contract dates, account number, etc.. I mean, anyone can put together a bogus statement like that. I did a little research on AFNI and found numerous complaints exactly like mine and yours, with all the same characteristics. Further investigation revealed that in July of '08 the Minnesota Attorney General's office filed a lawsuit against AFNI, Inc for fraudulent collections practices. Bottom line is, IF YOU DO NOT BELIEVE YOU OWE THIS BILL, FIGHT IT. I filed a complaint with my A.G. Consumer protection office. It took about 2 months, but AFNI finally gave up their ruse and sent a letter stating they were closing their account on me and removing the negative report on my credit. My bill was only about $35.00 but, the principal is worth all the time, efforts and insults. And, the more people give them a hard time, the sooner these crooks will be out of business.