Afni, Inc. / False collection

I am the executor of my father's estate. Within one month of his death in 2007, I received a collection notice from AFNI claiming that my father owed Verizon a bill of over $6000.00 for a telephone line that was operative for several months in 1997 (ten years ago). The line was located in a state where my father has never lived. I had managed my father's affairs for several years prior to his death and had never received a bill from Verizon. I checked his credit report and found that there were no bills reported as past due.

As I have checked on the internet, I have found numerous other reports of attempts by AFNI to collect bogus bills. I find it very suspicious that within two weeks of my father's death, AFNI receives a bill for collection that is nearly ten years old.

Comments

20th of Jul, 2007

My wife received a notice of collections for an Alltel bill from this Afni collections agency for nearly $800 for some cell phone service I was supposed to have had. I HAVE NEVER USED ALLTEL in the 10 years I have been using cellular phone connections. This has got to be some sort of fraud scheme going on. I recently received a loan to have a home built, pay ALL my bills on time and then some, and take great pride in my AAA credit history. I have never heard of or seen or have ever received anything from Alltel EVER. What the heck is going on Afni? Also, the day after my wife received the notice I called the toll free 866 # to dispute this matter; the number would not go through. Some sort of funny business you guys got going Afni. I am currently serving in Iraq and if this matter is going to go further Afni will be hearing from my JAG officer faster than they can accuse me twice of owing Alltel one red cent!

• Mi
      22nd of Oct, 2007

Today I received a collection notice from Afni, Inc. for a Verizon bill that was over 7 years old. I live in the state of Kansas were the statute of limitations is 3 years. I am definitely taking everyone advice and reporting this collection agency.

• Ke
      9th of Nov, 2007

I recently received a collection letter from Afni about a supposed telephone service bill from Pacific Bell that is 91/2 years old! This bill was paid way back then, but they were quite rude on the phone and were not interested in anything I had to say. They offered two times to "settle" -- first for $80.00 less, then for 50%. I have documented proof that the amount was paid. I am sending them that, plus I am going to complain to every consumer affairs agency --state and federal -- that will affect them. I welcome anyone who has had similar experiences to advise me of what else I can do to stop these scam artists.

28th of Dec, 2007

My father (who is in his 70s) received a collections notice from AFNI in May of 2007 alleging that he owed Verizon of New York for a past due bill. My father has (1) never lived in New York, (2) has never maintained a relationship with Verizon of New York. We called the Company and we received by a less than pleasant customer service person who used a very threatening tone of voice with my father. We then followed up with a letter to the Company. We thought that the matter was resolved UNTIL, he received another letter in November of 2007 concerning another past due item tied to Bell Atlantic. We pulled his credit report and there is NO evidence of either claim on his credit report. We followed up to AFNI's second letter with another telephone call to the 800-number noted on the letter. We also mailed the company another letter. This time, we've copied Lisa Madigan the Illinois Attorney General, Congressman Mark Kirk, the Chicago Trubune, and Carol Marin of the Chicago Sun Times. This Company is taking advantage of senior citizens who simply don't have the resources and/or technological prowress to navigate the nasty web of lies that they attempt to promulgate. This Company is the epitome of what is wrong in this society.