Afni, Inc. / False collection attempt

1 PO Box 3427Bloomington, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-684-3221

This company sent me a bill claiming I owed $128.37 for a Quest bill made in 2002. I immediately called them to request more information because I have never had a Quest account. They gave me an address and I told them I had never lived at that address. They said that is not the service address, it is my last known billing address. I told them I have never lived at the "last known billing address" they gave me. I then asked if I could call Quest to find out more informaiton and they said that Quest would not give me the information because they had purchased the debt from them. I asked them for the address of service and they said they did not have that information. They said if I disputed the bill to go online and submit they dispute. I went online and put in my Afni account number. I t would not bring up my account because they did not have the last four digits of my social security number correct. I called them and told them they had the wrong person because they did not have my real social security number. They asked my what the last four digits were and I gave them fake numbers to see what would happen. They miraculously informed my that they had transposed some numbers and it was right now. This company needs to be shut down! I am going to send them disput letter and am notifying the FTC. These scammers need to be stopped.

Comments

24th of Feb, 2009

I had a very similiar problem with this company. My husband had a credit report done recentally and this Afni Inc. were on it for an internet company we currently have. After 3 phones calls to this company, the first call, they were asked to send a confirmation to us via through email or faxed to us. Nothing, so the next day I called back, and was told by someone else that they cannot send us a confirmation of payment because the account is still active...Okay I have never heard of a collections company that wont send a confirmation or, wont verify that the payment was recieved.
    I decided to check with the internet company on this matter, to see if we have ever had a bill sent to collections, and explained to them the situation, the internet company pulled up a summary of our account, and checked they database for any inquiries of another account in my name that had been active at one point. Nothing the internet respresentive even gave me a summary of what he found to send to us, with limitations of course if we have to make legal actions towards this debt collector.
    After my conversation with the internet company I then called the Afni Inc back told them "I need a confirmation by today to verify this has been taken care of. I then told them, that I have contacted the internet company and that they DO NOT enlist any of their credit reports to any company by your name, and if this payment has NOT been confirmed by you within 24 hours, I will be taking legal actions to get you guys off my credit report...

I will also be filing a complaint in the FTC for the Act. Fair Debt Collections

• Km
      10th of Aug, 2009

im going though the same thing and i wish there was one number you could call to fill a legal complaint and get them investigated!!!