Afni Collection Agency / Singular Cell Phone / Wrong person

AFNI collection agency tried to collect a Singular cell phone account # [protected]-02, according to the rep who apparently found my phone number on the web. I have never had any type of cell phone -- let alone a Cingular.

The rep said he would remove my phone number from their files. He wanted my last 4 digits of my Social Security number, which I refused to give. He then read four digits that did not match mine. Case closed.

Thanks you Complaints Board for your site which allowed me to deal with an unknow caller who was very vague. Said AFNI had talked with my grandmother regarding the upaid account. Interesting, since my grandmother has been dead since 1962 -- long before cell phone has been invented.

AFNI's website says they have been around for 70 years and, yes, they do buy old accounts:

AFNI says:

Afni, Inc. spans the United States, providing tailored call center, collections, insurance and debt purchase services to the nation's leading companies. For more than 70 years we've been committed to becoming business partners with our clients—and treating their customers as if they were our own.

A  10th of Jan, 2008 by
I what paid this bill my account number is 02325493-02 amount due is 260.22

Afni Logo Afni
1310 Martin Luther King Dr.
United States - 61701-1465