A&E Factory Service / fraudulent charges

We called A&E to repair our refrigerator since they were listed on the Whirlpool website. We were told when we scheduled the appointment that there would be a diagnosis charge of $65.00. When the repairman arrived, we had the refrigerator pulled out and my husband had the back off of it. The repairman made his diagnosis of a broken relay switch within five minutes. He told us what the problem was and then started to go out to the truck to get the part. At that point my husband asked him what the charge would be and the repairman replied that he 'didn't know'. He came back in and then for a total of 10 minutes worth of labor, he charged us $133.00. He did not even put the refrigerator back panel on the unit. We disputed the high charge and he said he had no control over the price. Why though, couldn't he have told us what the price was? Do they really get $798.00 an hour for labor? If they do charge $133.00 an hour for labor, why don't they tell you before they do the work and why isn't the amount pro-rated for the time that they actually spent?
When you try to complain, it is like pulling teeth to get a phone number from the call center. They refuse to give you the information for the local office.

Do Not call this company for repairs!

Mi

Comments

• Rb
      8th of Jan, 2009

Whine, Whine, Whine, poor me. How much would it have cost to buy new? The labor rate is set wheather it takes 5 min or 3 hours the labor is still only $133.00. Some Jobs take 5 min some take a couple of hours so forth and so on. Its costs money to pay for the Van, the tech needs to get paid. You got your fridge fix reasonably I might add. Yet you come on this site to ### about pricing. I say next time fix it yourself and see how long it takes to get the job done. Cheap people like you have no idea what it takes to get the job done, the training needed, having to put up with cheap ### complainers, whiners ect. Service people need to make a living also and put food on the table. For some reason service people are treated very poorly, and it gets worse every year. I would like to see all service techs go on strike for 30 days. Then lets see how cheap ### people like you make it without service. As things break down and they can't get fixed. Let me tell you something, as time goes on there are less and less people entering the service market. Over the years it will be harder and harder to get service. So before you whine and cry about service be thankful there are still techs willing to come out and fix your stuff.