Advanced Wellness Research / Free trial is a scam

San Francisco
Phone: 415-648-6426
Ordered a "free trial" for the cost of shipping. Received it over a week later.
Was charged for more product exactly 2 weeks after the order was placed (rather than after it arrived)
Had not even had time to try the product.
"Customer Service" is supposed to be "easy cancel".
When I called, I was told no one was authorized to cancel anything!
This "offshore" call center told me to call back when a manager was there - at about midnight my time!
I've little doubt there will not be a manager there when I call back!

A  10th of Apr, 2009 by
ATTENTION: Acai Berry Pro is not worth the exorbitant price, the hassle of trying to cancel, and especially the UNDISCLOSED FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE!
My first issue with the so-called 14-day trial is that it begins the day you place the order! How can you start trying something you haven't received yet? My shipment was delayed by the post office being closed for President's Day, so by the time I received the product, I had only 10 days to actually try it. My second issue, which came as an unwelcome surprise, was the foreign transaction fee that they charge you each time a payment is processed---even the initial S&H fee for the trial. I found out that even though Advanced Wellness Research lists an address in Wood Dale, IL, payments are processed in Cambridgeshire, England and the customer is charged for it. Anyway, I called on the 13th day to cancel, and spoke to an Indian guy who said his name was Roger. He kept trying to get me to continue using the Acai Berry Pro because it would take a few months to actually see results. I kept saying no until he finally agreed to cancel my trial, and was told that I didn't have to return the unused portion of the product--I could keep it as a thank you for trying Acai Berry Pro.
Well, that wasn't the end of it. I received another shipment for which I was charged $83.80 plus $2.50 foreign transaction fee. I called and got another Indian guy who claimed that they had no record of my call to cancel. I asked if there was a guy named Roger working there and he said 'yes'. So I asked him how would I know Roger's name if I never called and spoke to him, but he didn't have an answer to that. He then claimed that he couldn't refund the full amount that I was charged, but he could refund $40. I was furious and told him I wanted the full amount; he then offered $65. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and was told he wasn't authorized to let me speak to a supervisor! I then threatened to call the Better Business Bureau and report this as a scam, so he finally agreed to refund the full amount. It turned out that I got back $78.80 and the $2.50 foreign transaction fee, but they kept the $4.99 S&H charge. I had fully intended to return the 2nd shipment, but once I saw that they didn't refund the S&H and it would cost me even more money to ship it back, I decided to keep it.

Advanced Wellness Research Logo Advanced Wellness Research