Aamco Transmissions / scam and cheating

AAMCO has just plain LIED and CHEATED us twice. We were foolish enough to give them the benefit of the doubt the second time. We took our car in the first time to get a tune up they sent us to another AAMCO claiming they couldn't do the tune up at that time but had a specialist at another address. The next place they sent us to after we said again, we need a TUNEUP... they looked at the car and said because their diagnostic machine was not working that had to take the car apart to check it and then when they took all morning to do that..they told my husband HE needed a tune-up... what? A TUNEUP?... HELLO we told them that before they took it apart so they charged for the taking it apart and we never got a tuneup. I guess we are foolish for forgiving them and we took our car later to get the AC looked at and freon added. It was kinda working but off and on they said there was no leaks but that they added Freon and did a A/C Dye and said it should be working now... AFTER spending $309.39 we took it home and nothing appeared much different, it had the same problems... so we asked them to check it again after a few days... they said bring it in now. We waited another long day for them to tell us our A/C had to be rebuilt it wouldn't last long and had major problems but that the filled it back up with freon. We took it home and immediately noticed the A/C only blew warm air. I called TONY back up and asked what exactly did you do for me? If my A/C was in bad condition why didn't you tell me that the first time we brought it in instead of charging us for a... non-fix. He said that he did put freon in. We took it to another PHX local mexican guy who had a reputation for doing good work on A/c... he checked the car said yeah nothing is wrong with your a/c fan, no leaks but just no freon... WELL... AAMCO WHERE IS THE BLASTED FREON YOU MADE US PAY 350.00 for.?..We took it home from the nice honest mexican mechanic and it worked... All we wanted was a TUNE-up and Freon and AAMCO SCREWED US OVER... We will no longer affiliate with anybody of your AAMCO Company... Tony seemed nice... but obviously lied through the skin of his scaly teeth.

Va

Comments

• Va
      22nd of Aug, 2008

I bought a 1967 Ford Mustang that did not have the original engine or transmission. It was modified for racing then made street legal. I was having trouble with the dipstick tube leaking. I had to keep putting transmission fluid in the vehicle every third or fourth day. I noticed that the seal around the dipstick tube was not seating properly so I contacted Aamco to see about getting a new one. They happily agreed to help me out. What a nightmare that has been.

I dropped my car off with them to fix and since I was dropping it off i asked for an estimate on a shifter close to original as possible. I also asked them to check over the transmission. When they contacted me, I was told that I needed to have my transmission rebuild. I agreed to have them do it because they do advertise as being transmission specialists.

We talked about price, and I was given an estimate of around $800.00. I asked about getting another transmission put in. a used one. I was told that it would be less expensive and a better way to go with rebuilding because I wouldn't know what I was getting with a used one. I told them to rebuild it.

The car has a Hurst Promatic shifter in it but I did not have Aamco do any work replacing that. The estimate was too high. During the work on the transmission I was told by them that a few things were not hooked up and that they couldn't be. My reverse lights, detent cable and neutral safety switch were not connected because whoever put that transmission in butchered it. They said they may be able to hook those things up but I would need to get another shifter and it would have to be modified for them to do the work. I did not want another shifter.

When all was said and done I paid $1339.24 for a dipstick tube and rebuild transmission. I picked the car up and from the moment I drove it off the lot it didn't feel right to me. The shifter was not hooked up right and I had to go down twice to get it into reverse. When I'd be in low gear popping it up into drive it would go straight to neutral. When on the highway doing 55-60 the car would whine like it needed to go into a higher gear. I was afraid that I'd blow it up.

The car also had trouble starting. I'd have to play with the ignition turning the key on and off until the starter would engage and crank over. the car was not and did not perform like that before they worked on it. I noticed that my shifter cable was not hooked up right and two bolts where the transmission gets connected to the engine were just hanging in there. They weren't evened tightened at all.

I went back there a week later because they asked me to bring it in for a weekly check up. I informed them of all of the problems and concerns I had. They knew it was not the original transmission. The person whom i dealt with was Pam. She went out to start it but it would not start. I had to start it. I mentioned that it started fine until you touched it. I told her that my starter is misaligned. Well she did not take the blame for that and said that it was nothing they did. well yes it is because you have to remove the starter to get the transmission out.

She took it for a drive and said it ran fine. I totally disagree with her. I mentioned about the way it shifted and again it was 'nothing they did'. That was all blamed on the shifter itself. Well that shifter was working properly before they touched it. I was very dissatisfied with their work. I did not get adequate responses to my requests and no fault was taken by them. She said that I could leave the car with them and they'd look over it. I refused. I did not trust them because it was worse than before and because they refused responsibility for my problems.

I took it to another shop to have it checked out. What they told me surprised me. I was informed that Aamco should not have touched that transmission. It was not designed for that car or engine. The transmission is designed for fuel injected engines and mine is not fuel injected. They also stated that Aamco should have refused to work on it based on everything that was disconnected. The transmission was too big for that car. They are to be transmission specialists so they should have refused to work on it unless I was getting another transmission put in it.

I really do believe that they were just trying to take someone for money and that someone was me. I have been pursuing a refund of some type for the past few months but to no avail. They are cold, heartless people. I contacted their customer service hotline to file a complaint and demanded a refund. They are a franchise store and a refund is a long shot. To make a long story short and to the point no refund was given.

I next contacted the Better Business Bureau about this and in the letter I received. no refund yet again. I am not going away and I hope Aamco understands this. They ripped me off by performing work on a transmission that they should have refused to work on. I had a 12 month warranty on it which states that its covered the transmission and defective workmanship. The whole job was defective because of how it ran and shifted and started after it left there. Oh, but I forgot... it was nothing they did.

Since then I have had a used transmission put in it costing less than their nothing work. I am getting another shifter installed which was also three times cheaper than what they quoted. I just wish they would fess up to a bad job they did and return my money. I am looking for a full refund, but would be happy with a partial one. If this goes on longer I may file for suing over stress and hardship issues. The other garage who replaced my transmission also said that they'd help me in any way to get my money back. There is more that I'd like to say about them but I don't want to write those words so I'll end. Whoever reads this DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR TO ANY AAMCO. They suck!

• Bo
      26th of Sep, 2008

yah aamco is a total rip . they wouldnt let me see my obd code when they scanned my car because it was a free diagnostic. Then the ignorant worker tried selling me a diagnostic check when i already knew what was wrong. total waste of time and gas !

• In
      2nd of Oct, 2008

You two are both ridiculous. Why would you take on shops word over another. Did the shop who waid AAMCO did wrong offer you a price to fix it? Were they a transmisison shop? You have no leg to stand on trying to get your mmoney back or take them to court. If they rebuilt your transmission for less than 1500.00, that is cheap.
    And as for the person who says they would not give you the code...if you know what is wrong with your car, why do you take it to a shop?

• Ju
      24th of Oct, 2008

I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND THIS COMPLAINT.I HAVE MY OWN COMPLAINT, I ALSO WAS RIPPED OFF BY AAMCO.BUT NOT AS BAD AS OTHERS. I ASKED FOR THE SEAL ON MY TRANSFER CASE TO BE REPLACED.I KNEW WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT.IT SHOULD HAVE COST $300.00 OR LESS MY PHONE QUOTE WAS JUST THAT.THATS WHY I TOOK MY TRUCK TO AAMCO.AFTER I LEFT MY TRUCK I GOT A PHONE CALL THE PRICE WENT UP TO $780.00.I DISAGREED WITH THE PRICE .BUT GEORGE CONVINCED ME IT WAS RIGHT I WAS AT WORK SO I REALLY COULDNT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT TILL MY LUNCH.I CALLED SEVERAL AAMCO SHOPS AND A FEW MOM &POP SHOPS THEY ALL QUOTED $300.00 AT THE MOST $500.00.SO I CALLED AND DISAGREED WITH THE PRICE.MY RESPONSE WAS IM GOING TO CALL THOSE SHOPS TO SEE WHY THEIR QUOTES WERE SO LOW.HE CALLED ME BACK AND SAID THEY HADNT SEEN THE VEHICLE THAT THEY WERE JUST GIVING A ROUGH ESTIMATE.THEN HE GAVE ME SUPPOSEDLY A BREAK ON THE LABOR ABOUT $80.00.I WANTED TO TAKE MY TRUCK SOMEWHERE ELSE BUT I WAS INFORMED THEY HAD MY TRUCK APART. I CONTINUED TO CALL ABOUT THE PRICE I KNEW SOMETHING WAS WRONG.WHEN MY TRUCK WAS READY I CALLED AGAIN STILL DISAGREEING WITH THE PRICE THEN I WAS INFORMED THAT GEORGE HADNT EXPLAINED HIMSELF CLEARLY HE THEN TOLD ME THEY COMPLETELY RESEALED MY TRANSFER CASE.HE TOID ME THIS WAS NEEDED BECAUSE I LIVE IN THE HILLS AND HE DIDNT WANT IT RETURNED LEAKING AND HE WOULD HAVE TO FIX IT FOR FREE WHAT A CROOK THEY ENDED UP CHEATING ME OUT OF $400.00. THATS ALOT OF MONEY FOR ME.IT TOOK ALL OF MY SAVINGS.I DOUBT THEY EVEN DID WHAT THEY CLAIMED TO.IS THERE.I SURE LEARNED AN EXPENSIVE LESSON.WHY ARE THEY ALLOWED TO SCAM THE PUBLIC AND GET BY WITH IT.

• Da
      29th of Apr, 2009

AAMCO is just a bunch of cheats and liers, preying on the public who know nothing about car.

• St
      25th of Aug, 2010

Aamco lied to us. My 2006 Malibu was not shifting into 3rd gear. I stopped there because I thought it was an emergency and went to the nearest transmission place. I left and I think the manager's name is Sean in Jacksonville. he called me and told me that the base pay is 1200 dollars and that my wheel bearing on the left side was bad and that would be about 300 dollars. He said the cost will be around 14 to 18 hundred dollars. And asked me if it was okay to work on it and I said yes. When I went there a couple days later to get my phone charger out of the car, he said the total will be 2600 dollars. I said you quoted me a price of 14 to 1800 dollars. And then he took me to show me all the parts that he had to put in there and what was worn out. But he never showed me my own parts out of the car. He only showed me the new parts. Which he might as well put a whole transmission in there. which are 600 dollars if you buy them on line. So I kept asking him what the 1200 dollars was for. I never really got an answer. He showed me his computer and all the parts and how much they costed but not what the base pay covered. I understand 400 dollars for labor. and if he charged 400 and 400 that would only be 800 in labor out of the 1200 dollar base pay. Stay far away from Aamco.